Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Hi! This is not really maemo related but I figure most of the remaining guys here are familiar with setting up a wireless network so maybe you guys can help.

I brought a wifi router (http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...TL-WR740N#over) to my in-laws so I can extend their wifi network.
I followed these instructions to set it up: http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=74 and successfully connected my laptop to the network and had access to the internet; however, no other device can connect to the bridge that I made. I tried my Galaxy Note 2, my N900, and my sister-in-law's iPad... only the laptop works. Any ideas? Please share your tips and I'll try them out when I get back to their place. Thanks!

Just for clarification:
Current Set-up: Modem connected to Router 1. One PC is connected in a port, the rest of the gadgets connect through wifi.
Objective: Extend range of wifi connection by installing additional router (Router 2 or R2) http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...TL-WR740N#over

What I did (based on this http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=74)
1. Changed the IP address of TP-Link R2 to avoid conflict with R1.
2. Changed the channels used by both R1 and R2, used channel 10.
3. Used different SSID's.
4. Used same password. WEP, 128bit, ASCII.
5. Enabled Bridge Mode in R2, used the built-in tool to fill-in R1's details.
6. Disabled DHCP in R2.
7. Checked using my laptop. I have access to the config pages of both R1 and R2 even when I am connected to just one of those routers.

Problem: Only that laptop and nothing else can connect to the network through R2.

Last edited by vetsin; 2014-01-29 at 23:17.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Sounds like you put the wrong modem/router in Bridge Mode. Bridge Mode allows you to circumvent all security aspects of your modem, and leave that task to the wireless router. As soon as a modem/router has been switched to Bridge Mode, only one port will be working, the one meant for the extra router you bought. All other devices you want to connect to the outside world will have to use the extra router.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Thanks for the reply!
The routers are of different brands, different interface, and IP's were changed before the rest of the config so I'm pretty sure I put the right modem in bridge mode.
Can you please expand on this: "As soon as a modem/router has been switched to Bridge Mode, only one port will be working"? From what I understand on that statement, in bridge mode, only one device can connect to the network, that being my laptop. But I also tried turning off the laptop's wifi and connecting my Note, still didn't work.
Or maybe I'm just confusing "Bridge" with "Repeater"?

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
I had same kind of issue one time with a wifi repeater.

It is quite complicated, i did not understood everything myself, but it is something like that:

The primary routeur give an ip to the repeater, let's call it "secondary routeur" for convenience . So the first device which connect to secondary routeur is provided with the same ip address that the first routeur has provided to the secondary. I don't remember why, but sure it was because my primary routeur was not one of the best.

You can verify this by checking the dhcp client list on the primary routeur, if i remember well, you should see the MAC of your secondary routeur with the same address you get with ipconfig/ifconfig on your laptop, and not see your laptop MAC.

Solution was to give a static ip to the secondary routeur which is out of the dhcp scope of the primary routeur or something like that.

I don't use it anymore and it happened a long time ago, i may have missed some details.

Also, i assume you disabled dhcp server on secondary routeur. If not, try this first.

Last edited by Mitrigol; 2014-01-28 at 20:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mitrigol For This Useful Post:
I have this setup and it works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWVPZSQqUZg
after that on Pc you must change in your wireles network connection properties:
in Internet Protocol Version4(TCP/IPv4) properties:
IP address 192.168.1.122
where 122 could be diffrent
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.1.1
default gateway is your first router IP address(wich is connected to internet)
Prefered DNS server 8.8.8.8

this settings must be applied in your n900 or other pc, phones

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SHARP66 For This Useful Post:
@Mitrigol
Well I have assigned a different IP and disabled DC on the second router... I'll check the MAC when I get back to their place. Thanks

@SHARP
Thanks for the link, I'll watch it later. I do hope that there's an easier way though, the in-laws are the ones to use it so I can't expect them to look into stuff like that.

Last edited by vetsin; 2014-01-28 at 22:07.

Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
[...] From what I understand on that statement, in bridge mode, only one device can connect to the network, that being my laptop. But I also tried turning off the laptop's wifi and connecting my Note, still didn't work.
Most people using Bridge Mode seem to do that in order to be able to have more control over the networks' behaviour. Lots of ISP's send out modems on which you can not open ports. Another popular reason to use Bridge Mode is that many modems work a lot faster in Bridge Mode than they do in Router Mode.

The setup would something along the lines of two devices:
1. The modem/router you received from your ISP, (WAN), connected to the signal socket in your house.
2. The router you bought extra, connected to the WAN port of 1.

Only 1. needs to be put in Bridge Mode and as soon as you do that, 1. should have only a single working WAN port. In theory this WAN port should allow connections to all your virtual ports. Before you connect device 2. it's usefull to make sure device 2. has gotten a static IP address.

2. Connects to the WAN port of 1. On 2. you will need to configure the ports you want opened and any other aspect you may need. Normally the dhcp server should be switched on to allow device 2. to give out automatic IP adddresses to your PC's, phones and what not.

Or maybe I'm just confusing "Bridge" with "Repeater"?
Bridge Mode and a Repeater are two different things, afaik, even though practically, they may provide you the same service: an extended network. But the repeater simply takes an existing signal and boosts it up so it's range get extended (more or less). Bridge Mode in combination with an extra router gives you an Acccess Point.

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
This is my set-up:
Modem > Router1 > Router2 (bridge mode)

Are you suggesting that it should be
Modem > Router1 (bridge mode) > Router2?

I updated the first post with extra details. Thanks!

@Vetsin

Bridge Mode, normally, is only meant for the first device, id est: the modem.

(WAN) Modem (Bridge Mode) > Router 1 (dhcp)

@anthonie, thanks for the input. I'll just try the video instructions in SHARP66's link before giving up.

EDIT: nothing worked... i just installed DD-WRT. Will try tinkering with the modem at home and report back if it fixes things.

UPDATE: DD-WRT didn't help. I flashed back to the original/stock firmware, updated it and tried to set everything up again according to the instructions posted in the OP and it worked!
But the N900 cannot connect. All other gadgets I tested were able to working but it doesn't matter since my in-laws do not have an N900 in their house.

Last edited by vetsin; 2014-03-18 at 16:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post: