Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
New Handset Demo: http://jollatides.com/2013/05/21/new...set-full-demo/
There is alot off smoke going on at Jolla. He doesn't want show camera. Also he changes device when showing other half. Seems like there is several protos going on? And the only show one without psysical connector?

But for a small company probadly best to hide stuff. There is ALOT of copycats out there

I would NOT be suprised if we soon seen a shitty sailfish swipeUI skin in top of broken android...

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Well in the DNA Jolla video one of the guy did mention that the device marc dillion was showcasing yesterday is a prototype.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
How the other half is connected to the main phone ? Flash needs power, so power connector is needed. Data can be transferred wirelessly (keyboard, better speakers..?) but it needs more power ? Physical connectors are difficult to use and probably they will be broken sometimes..
It would be nice if it is a USB 3 port that support usb host mode.

Someone may come up with a "Other half" with usb hub and you can plugin a 4 TB hard disk, keyboard and mouse and even a usb monitor.

Will this make everyone happy?

LOL!!!

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
There is alot off smoke going on at Jolla. He doesn't want show camera. Also he changes device when showing other half. Seems like there is several protos going on? And the only show one without psysical connector?
I don't have problem with them not telling HW specs. After all, I'm interested in jolla because of OS. If I want top HW there's a lot to choose from.
But I do have problem with sooftware side. It's been over a year since we saw first sailfish demo and now we still have that more or less the same demo. Nothing more. They don't even want to show the camera app. WTF can be so special about camera app? What about syncing? What about calendar? Does it pull birthdays from contacts? How good is email client? How capable is browser? What about skype? What about navigation? I know that they don't have resources for their own maps and everything. But will they license it from someone so that it comes on every device or we will have to buy one? I'm fine with second option to but in that case I would like to now that it wont end up like sygic on N900. How capable will be media player? I could go on but I think that it's pretty clear what I mean here. But all we see is that we can see facebook phots without any aditionl app Who cares about that crap

And the applications store. What about that? We've heard that first app was released 29 minutes after SDK was released. Which one is that? I think that this part should be also explained a bit by now and that we should at least be able to browse through existing apps (if there are any actually) and that developers can see what exists and what is needed. But not a word about that

MD invites everybody to join the tribe but on what basis? A year old demo but now on different HW and this other half gimmick?
Oh, I forgot, probably because it's android compatibile.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
The Other Half is nothing more than NFC, with or without assisted bluetooth connection. The devices comprising an Other Half, would need to fit well within a Bluetooth profile.

While it does limit what can be put on the device, the subtle combination of bluetooth and nfc in this case, with an easy to deploy form factor and case, provides a very compelling, if small and subtle idea on how to both use the unused space at the back of a phone, and how to do things like aesthetic customization, small and useful peripherals, etc.. Bluetooth, NFC, flash storage, and small low voltage microcontrollers provide a very powerful base on which to build all sorts of widgets.

Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
We don't need no crappy play store.
We don't need no WhatsApphone.
No shitty choice on the market.
Jolla leave them droids alone.
Hey, Jolla! Leave iFans alone!
All in all, it's just another brick in the wall.
All in all, you just are better than Steven Flop.

We don't need no octa-cores.
We don't need no glass iPhones.
No crippled pages in the browser.
Hey, Jolla! Leave iFans alone.
All in all, they just are brainless sheep in the flock.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by xanderx View Post
We don't need no crappy play store.
We don't need no WhatsApphone.
No shitty choice on the market.
Hey, Jolla! Leave iFans alone!
All in all, you just are better than Steven Flop.

We don't need no octa-cores.
We don't need no glass iPhones.
No crippled pages in the browser.
Hey, Jolla! Leave iFans alone.
All in all, they just are brainless sheep in the flock.
The world would be boring without all that...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
It's been over a year since we saw first sailfish demo and now we still have that more or less the same demo. Nothing more.
Over a yr? I don't think so. Much was shown around mid-November @Slush, & even more new stuff since then.

MD invites everybody to join the tribe but on what basis? A year old demo
Again with that....

but now on different HW
Yeah, it's a huge improvement over N9/50, so ah, point being?

and this other half gimmick?
Well maybe or maybe not, if it's done well that'll be the hw area they standout, it was always improbable to happen in more conventional areas.

Oh, I forgot, probably because it's android compatibile.
I actually like this aspect, others don't, but it depends how well it's done, if it's "shite" compared to BBX I'll be a sad panda.

Other points taken though, add them to the other thread please, if they're not already there...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-23 at 16:03. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Over a yr? I don't think so. Much was shown around mid-November @Slush, & even more new stuff since then.
well, I wanted to say that it's more or less the same all the time.
And I forgot the pulley menu

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Is it verified that it's a 4.5 inch screen in that phone Mc used for demo? Or will they add a real screen later. Don't see why they need such huge phone if rhe are planning to use a small screen llike that. It doesn't add up.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red