similar experience at tmobile store.

"I need a tmobile sim so i can play on your 3g network"

"OK, what phone would you like"

"I already have it"

"Where did you buy it?"

"Doesnt matter, just give me a sim on no contract"(yes I am mean and ornery with salespeople)

"Is it a smartphone?"

"It is a nokia n900"

"We don't sell any phones like that, it is not in my computer"

<three person + manager huddle commences for 10 minutes>

Eventually did get a SIM, but definitely felt like a square peg in round hole land

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
so i had the n900 loaner from the office and needed to hit up the t-mobile store to get a new sim card.

I walk in, they ask if i wanted to trade in my fiefdom to at&t (i was holding my iphone in my hand) and move over to t-mobile... I whip out the n900 and say "i need a new sim card for this..." and i notice the look of shock on their faces.

About two minutes later, i finally get the inevitable "what is that?"

"you're kidding, right? It's a nokia n900."

"is that a phone?"

"yes. This is... A phone store, right? And besides, this internet tablet with phone capabilities works on your 3g network and not on at&t's 3g network frequencies."

"is that a phone?"

"...yes. It's a phone. Made by nokia."

"we sell that?"

"not directly. Nokia sells it, amazon sells it, dell.com sells it and your network supports it."

"and it needs a sim card?"

"yes. It should have been waiting for me. Calling in by mr. X."

"oh yeah! We have that right here. But where does it go in?"

"i'll handle that... "

"can i touch it?"

"sure. Just don't hit the auto-destruct button."

"it has one of those!?"

"you betcha."

"..." (walks away from n900 slowly)

"i was joking man... You can touch it."

i cannot believe that nobody from t-mobile, including the district manager who was in the store - the one i scared about the auto-destruct button - hadn't seen a nokia n900.

Sorry for the boring story. Just had to share...
are u kidding me??????????????

I work for T-Mobile.... and i have a n900 so yea in here there is ppl that actually knows abt phones, soooooo dont say that, i dont work for a store tough, so i dont know who train them... but usually dealers are very bad at that...

U hurt my feelings lol....

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Essex, UK
OMG, CYPHERC I really doubt that you work for t-mobile.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But now it brings up another... what's worse? iSheep or SymbianSheep?

It's rhetorical.
These terms apply to people who know what Symbian or OS is.
Here, in Iraq, they call OS the "system", and if you want to buy an LG phone, they will tell you it has a complex system, take Nokia, it's system is much easier, they even don't know what Symbian is or what OS is.
Same goes on with Desktop OS, they think that Windows is the "default" OS everywhere, very very little who aware of other OSs.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by dana.s View Post
These terms apply to people who know what Symbian or OS is.
Here, in Iraq, they call OS the "system", and if you want to buy an LG phone, they will tell you it has a complex system, take Nokia, it's system is much easier, they even don't know what Symbian is or what OS is.
Same goes on with Desktop OS, they think that Windows is the "default" OS everywhere, very very little who aware of other OSs.
Thanks man. I honestly learned something new.

Cool!

Originally Posted by 6sicSIX View Post
OMG, CYPHERC I really doubt that you work for t-mobile.
mmm ok..........

I love this thread because I love shocking people with my phones. I think the n900 just looks classy, and so that's why it garners so much attention.

When I went to switch from ATT to T-Mobile, the happiest day of my year, none of the employees had seen or heard of the n900 and it was a US corporate store, not an authorized reseller. They were more excited about making the sale than trying to figure out what my phone was, but I got the feeling that they see non T-Mobile branded phones all the time.

Stay classy n900.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I bought a sim card from a Tmobile store not long ago and got efficient, polite, knowledgeable, unawed service. But I didn't bring my N900 with me; I was afraid they wouldn't sell me a prepaid sim if I had.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
I shock more people with my N82 than with my N900. Atleast the N900 is mistaken for Iphones and other known recent phones. But the N82....people are like...what is that? and I say....a Nokia N82...and they respond "No seriously....what is that?" "Who are you with (carrier)?" Most people ask me why don't I upgrade to a newer phone since the N82 is "ugly and basic looking". Then I load Quake Trilogy, Ngage game: One, use the front facing camera, turn out the lights and take a picture with Xenon flash, show multitasking, Nalertme motion alarm and show DVD quality (smoother than N900 video) video recordings and tv-out and they ALL go WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE CAN I GET ONE!!!

I then give a smirk/smile and say "Never judge a phone by its covering"

THEN......I tell them that you have to buy it unlocked.......and they say "Oh........" and change the conversation.

I always get is that an Android phone and what carrier are you with. I have had a few girls ask to play with it and they left there number in it which is pretty cool. Most people are amazed with the kickstand more then anything though.