Notices

For any EVE Online players that would like to run Python Fitting Assistant, the cross-platform alternative to EFT, on their N900, here's how:

1. Install Easy Debian

2. Follow App Install instructions in Easy Debian wiki to activate "Squeeze" repos for Easy Debian and update package list.
2a. Open Debian chroot prompt via Maemo App Launcher menu
2b. at prompt run "leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list" and uncomment the lines specified in wiki, basically the three lines with the word "Squeeze" in them, then save file
2c. run "apt-get update" to update package list

3. Upgrade Python in Easy Debian from 2.5 to 2.6 (Python Fitting Assistant site indicates that the program can run under 2.5, though seems to require modules from 2.6, specifically the multiprocessing module at least. I had no luck trying to install a backported version of the multiprocessing module under Easy Debian, so I just upgraded to 2.6).
3a. run "apt-get install python" from Debian chroot prompt to update Python to 2.6 in Easy Debian.

4. Download and extract Python Fitting Assistant to /home/user/pyfa ( /home/user is accessible via Maemo and Easy Debian).

At this point you can run Python Fitting Assistant in Easy Debian via "python /home/user/pyfa/launch.py". It will open if launched from the Debian chroot prompt, though is ugly and unusable. Instead, load up the Easy Debian LXDE windowed environment via the Maemo App Launcher menu and run the above command from a run box or command prompt window to launch the program with full functionality within LXDE (make sure you have data connection on).

Though fully functioning, the application window takes up most of the desktop, and navigation requires a lot of use of the "ctrl ." function within LXDE to move the window around, which is inconvenient. For the best experience, setup VNC communication between Easy Debian and Maemo, and use the touch friendly Presence VNC client for Maemo to access the Easy Debian LXDE environment. This gives you good touch navigation, optional 200% zoom, volume rocker left/right click controls, portrait mode, etc, all very nice.

5. Install tightvncserver under Easy Debian, and Presence VNC under Maemo
5a. From Debain chroot prompt run "apt-get install tightvncserver"
5b. Install Presence VNC via Maemo App Manager

6. Setup VNC server display and launch LXDE within it:
6a. from Debian chroot prompt run "tightvncserver :1 -geometry 1200x800" to setup VNC dispaly. Should prompt to establish password for VNC connection.

(I found 1200x800 to be a good resolution to setup for the LXDE VNC environment for Python Fitting Assistant, as it has just the right amount of vertical height, and enough horizontal space to eliminate the need for the horizontal scroll bars within Python Fitting Assitant once the program window is maximized within LXDE.)

6b. run "startlxde1" to start LXDE within the VNC display

7. Connect to Easy Debian LXDE VNC display from Maemo
7a. Launch Presence from Maemo App launcher and connect to "localhost:5901" and enter password

8. Once connected to the LXDE environment, launch Python Fitting Assistant via run box or command prompt by running "python /home/user/pyfa/launch.py". Enjoy and fly safe!
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonn Smyth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
This is great, thank you. I've been looking for this for several months. More than six months after my last try, pouf, just googling "pyfa N900", and I find the topic you created two days ago. :]

Too bad however we have to use VNC to correctly render pyfa. Wouldn't it be possible to force pyfa to launch in 1200x800 resolution with scrollbars when running "debbie python /home/user/pyfa/launch.py" in X-term? VNC is much slower and implies many steps before, finally, being actually fitting into pyfa.

P.S.
Sorry for my awful english. :[

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ greece
serched alot to find this ..
i found a couple of eve char monitors , but both are out dated ..
isnt there a newer one ?
none is enterested in this ?
the api etc are available from ccp and there are a lot of android apps for
eve , i recently tryed one in a friend droid phone .. wish we had something like it ..