Originally Posted by misterc View Post
more trouble for Flop coming this way...

Nokia Reverses Course, Quietly Begins Selling N9 in United States

a few excerpts...

read on for your own pleasure ¦-)

the fruit looks more & more rotten...
going to fall from the tree & disintegrate before long
I don't know about the N9, but the 808 is apparently headed to the US. I have read that from other sources also. But that article is flawed. Win CE (WP) shouldn't have any problems with pureview as it also, like Symbian, is a RT OS. In fact a WP version of pureview is coming very soon. This may be the source of the rumor about the 808 ?

Or, it could be that some genius at Nokia has discovered that they actually need to sell phones to stay alive instead of going with the recent Nokia practice of NOT selling the phones people want.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by specc View Post
I don't know about the N9, but the 808 is apparently headed to the US. I have read that from other sources also. But that article is flawed. Win CE (WP) shouldn't have any problems with pureview as it also, like Symbian, is a RT OS. In fact a WP version of pureview is coming very soon. This may be the source of the rumor about the 808 ?

Or, it could be that some genius at Nokia has discovered that they actually need to sell phones to stay alive instead of going with the recent Nokia practice of NOT selling the phones people want.
a) bolded part is not a fact but a rummor
b) i doubt that any qualcomm soc has dsp that supports image capturing at 41MPx

Now I have just seen something interesting... Our (my workplace) Desktop/GT IT team have created a drop off point for Blackberry users to exchange their old blackberry's for the new Windows Phone!

I used to work with those guys before my current role so will go see what the crack is later on

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Here another sad story for Nokia. Nokia Cash Reserves Might Be Low

Nokia boards Now have to Fire Elop.

Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
Here another sad story for Nokia. Nokia Cash Reserves Might Be Low

Nokia boards Now have to Fire Elop.
the damage is done, as far as PR (≃ Public Relationship) is concerned.
the best they can hope is excel in Symbian and Maemo and show the mobile device buying public that they still make outstanding phones, hardware and software wise
808 PureView & Belle Fix Pack 1 are moves in the right direction.
Maemo / MeeGo coding competition 2012 too

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
the damage is done, as far as PR (≃ Public Relationship) is concerned.
the best they can hope is excel in Symbian and Maemo and show the mobile device buying public that they still make outstanding phones, hardware and software wise
808 PureView & Belle Fix Pack 1 are moves in the right direction.
Maemo / MeeGo coding competition 2012 too
What options does nokia have?
Symbian? Too late, all bridges are blown by Elop
Maemo? Too late, all bridges are blown by Elop
WP? Going downhill at an increasing rate
Meltemi? Is there even such a thing?
S40? Could be OK for short term low end, but not for very long.
Android? Works for everyone else, why not for Nokia?
Tizen? Could work, but high risk.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by specc View Post
What options does nokia have?
Symbian? Too late, all bridges are blown by Elop
Maemo? Too late, all bridges are blown by Elop
WP? Going downhill at an increasing rate
Meltemi? Is there even such a thing?
S40? Could be OK for short term low end, but not for very long.
Android? Works for everyone else, why not for Nokia?
Tizen? Could work, but high risk.
You left out MeeGo--which, although they would be going at it alone, might still be an option IF they take it more seriously and GENUINELY take up the open-source cause the way Red Hat does.

Maemo isn't as burned a bridge as it seems you think, though.. but I do think it'll have a very hard time convincing me and others to come back to it after the bad taste they've left in our mouth. In the end, the Maemo (at device and support) experience was NOT a very good one and just kept getting worse.

I agree, though, Android is probably their best hope at this point.. and there's no reason why they can't do Android AND MeeGo or something else. It's not like Android makes exclusivity a requirement the way Microsoft probably tried to get with Nokia.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Maemo would be seen as a step backwards and they would have to get Ovi or whatever they would name the desktop connectivity software going forward to be, to work with Maemo. So far, that's not been the case 100%...

Android would be seen as a surrender; not unless they're going to say way up front that they are a multiple-OS company, with multiple-OS strategies in multiple countries. Slate WP7 for North America, perhaps China. Move Android to where it's selling well - also North America, but also Europe. Bring back Symbian Belle, up the build quality on what they've shown for Meltemi (those look like some seriously cheap *** phones) and incorporate Harmattan swipe onto the last two.

Nokia is in a hole right now. Salvageable but it's going to take years now. But they are more than likely closer to end up running out of money before that happens.

That's my take.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
It's simple. Doesn't matter if Nokia is running out of cash or what the market share of WP is. M$ will do and/or spend whatever it takes to keep Nokia - and so by extension WP - alive. Failure of WP is not an option. Meego, Tizen, Meltemi, Symbian, Android - doesn't matter - nothing else is an option. M$ is in control and will not allow it. The only way WP goes away is if it bankrupts M$ trying to make it go.

So just forget about Nokia using anything but WP except possibly on low-end devices. It will not happen. It's pointless to even speculate about it. I know that's a bummer, but it is what it is.

Registered Linux user #266531. Android user since v1.0.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Unless some Chinese or South-Korean cell phone maker buys Nokia out for its patents and Navteq, breaks the contract with Microsoft and pays the penalty ~2 Bn€.
It would hit Microsoft hard.

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows