Active Topics

Hi, I plan to get a n810 soon. Even though I don't yet have one, let me explain my stuation. Ipod touch has 1,000 times more games as the n810. However I recently broke mine. The cost is so much that I might as well get a new one. This is not an option for me. The only option is to get the n810. So, now that we're on the same team, I would like to know how (if possible) to create software for the n810 on my windows vista pc. And where to get more games and software other than maemo.org. Get as many people to this thread as you can. We can get more software for the n810 if we all work towards it. Thanks, garrettstudios

The Following User Says Thank You to garrettstudios For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
The N810 isn't really a gaming device.

It's a wonderful handheld but you should probably look at getting something else or in addition to the tablet.

The emus are somewhat slow.

There's no "commercial" games available.

Most of the good stuff are just ports of an open source code.

In no way am I complaining but it seems like you have higher demands than what a N810 can give you.

Cheers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
I've been researching this device for over a year now. I've got a good idea of what it can do. The only real problem is that there is nobody or no program that can help you take the full advantage of this unique device. True, it may not have been meant for gaming purposes, but the system program running the device itself doesn't even take full advantage of what it can do. Nokia didn't even develope much software for this. They left it to us. on Meamo. Now again, is there any way to create software for the n810 on vista pc?

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Netherlands
Maybe this suits your needs: http://maemovmware.garage.maemo.org/2nd_edition/. It contains the diablo targets (which is probably what your n810 runs).

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Welcome to maemo

PS: Please don't mutate into a troll!
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

In case is isn't obvious from wdehoog's post, the standard development environment is Scratchbox in Ubuntu. So if you're running Vista, you're going to be running an Ubuntu virtual machine within Vista. You typically code & test your program in Ubuntu & then press a button & voila! It compiles for your N810 and you can test it there.

If you care about 3D acceleration, note that the community recently got drivers from TI and is working with them right now. See this thread -- the recent stuff starts on page 40-something.

But right now, it's the simple stuff that works best on the N810 -- card games, puzzle games, etc. This is also true of Flash games. I usually change the quality to "Low" and even then some games are too slow.

But if you want to try to add more, that would be great!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
buurmas, Ubuntu is not the only Linux around and it's not even the best one.
Fact is, you can setup Scratchbox on almost any current Linux distribution.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Thanks, I'll do that.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
At the end of the day, use the N810, and develop ideas and software to fill in the usage gaps you have, because chances are others will have the same gaps.
Check to make sure they have not been covered before though. Apps present on N900 but not N8x0 are very welcome to fill in the gaps.

One idea which I would like to see is an applet (similar to the Internet Radio applet) to shuffle play the media library.

I'm not into gaming myself, but the newly released (and currently very raw) are the new 3D accelerated drivers. I think a big area for usage of these drivers could be in games on the N8x0.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
Fact is, you can setup Scratchbox on almost any current Linux distribution.
Cool. I just mentioned Ubuntu b/c (a) IIRC the official Maemo docs use Ubuntu, (b) IIRC the VM referenced above uses Ubuntu, and (c) the OP mentioned using Vista so I thought it was safe to assume he wasn't a Linux do-it-yourselfer. No offence against other distros intended.