Active Topics

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I must admit. I really did not see this coming either. Another shot at Jolla tablet in disguise. 3 years after the initial try. Life is mysterious
It's part of an ancient prophecy. The Gods above did not like the fall of Meego. So it was said that Jolla would rise to continue that work, creating Sailfish from the ashes, an open OS to fight the masters of the world. It was said that it would be a bumpy road as developing such a beast is a titanic task. Some death vallies would come, some people would lose their faith (and their tablets). But the road to success is for the brave that dont give up. In the end, total refund will come, Jolla will be forgiven and you will find peace in your heart

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by john_god View Post
In the end, total refund will come...
Only to those who believe. Those who lost faith along the way or talked about Jolla without respect shall not see one single cent.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Only to those who believe. Those who lost faith along the way or talked about Jolla without respect shall not see one single cent.
I believe Jolla are better than this man. One of Jollas best sides are that they let anyone speak without treating anyone bad. They are a free speach company which is cool indeed.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
That works both ways

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
To go back to the "lauta-like keyboarded smartphone", the Pyra handheld console can give you a pretty idea of a small portable device designed from the ground up and in a small production run.

(BTW: the Pyra has also 3G support, but with some neat tricks - like the 3G modem being a separate chip that the main CPU can completely shut of, and its powerline being separately monitored which should enable power user to detect activity - i.e.: it comes with it's own side-channel attack built-in for the end-user to abuse).

wikipedia article has the specs.

(For the record: it's OMAP based, one *should* be able to run Sailfish OS instead of Debian on it).

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
To go back to the "lauta-like keyboarded smartphone", the Pyra handheld console can give you a pretty idea of a small portable device designed from the ground up and in a small production run.

(BTW: the Pyra has also 3G support, but with some neat tricks - like the 3G modem being a separate chip that the main CPU can completely shut of, and its powerline being separately monitored which should enable power user to detect activity - i.e.: it comes with it's own side-channel attack built-in for the end-user to abuse).

wikipedia article has the specs.

(For the record: it's OMAP based, one *should* be able to run Sailfish OS instead of Debian on it).
I wouldn't call it small when taking about phones

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I wouldn't call it small when taking about phones
...which was entirely the point when chen pointed out that it won't be easy to make small.

BTW: Pyra's CPU board is separate from the rest of the mainboard (hence also the really bigger size), and a designed by Golden delicious - the guys who make the upgrades for NeoFreenners (GTA4), for Nokia N900 (Neo900), etc.
Meaning that at some point in the future, you should be able to buy upgrades.

Interesting concept to follow.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
The Pyra does not have a smartphone form factor. As interested as I am in this project since a long time (and the Neo900, but this will be much more compact), I do not think that Chenliangchen meant that kind of form factor when he said that it would be hard to produce a compact device. He was rather referring to 4.5" smartphones versus nowadays smartphone sizes (more than 4.5"), as this is what people - myself included - asked him here when they mentioned the N9 and the first Jolla device.

To my understanding, Chenliangchen aims at taking advantage of the most widespread (or easily available) Sailfish-compatible parts to produce a smartphone with a hardware keyboard, namely using his experience with the sliding keyboard for the Moto Z. While this won't be compact per se compared to a full-touch smartphone made of the same parts, I think what he has in mind is of a totally different scale than the Pyra.

But then, since I actually feel the hype flowing in my veins every time he mentions this project, I'd prefer him to confirm himself and post more details while he's at it.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-13 at 15:16.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
@Kabouik:

I'm going back to China later this week to finalise the Moto keyboard Mod business. The moulding of the sliding frame plus the hinge indeed is a tough job but we are close to finish. By the time Moto Keyboard is shipping I will start kicking off Lauta-revival project.

With the all in one sliding keyboard, thickness can be greatly reduced (>7mm reduced from Moto Mods)

Rather than Pyra, I want to make a more general keyboard device for every-day use. A good looking product, and can last at least for a few years.

Planned:

- LTE Cat6 support (number of bands depend on the upfront cost. Likely to be 4 or 5 so there will be 2 versions)

- Full QWERTY support with the hinge that can lift the screen (Not exactly same as N950/Lauta but more like Touch Pro 2, you can change the angle)

- 5.0"+ screen. I know this will be a disappoint for some, but you can't find anything reliable and decent below this size, unless someone gives me 1M USD and I can develop a 4-inch decent solution myself...

- Part of the device will use metal, similar to the N950 - again I want everyone can proudly show the device unlike some chunky monsters... And the overall thickness will be controlled. Likely around 12mm. (To ensure a good sized removable battery)

- User can of course remove and replace the battery, when it dies

- Regarding OS - this requires some work and need to analyse the total cost. But I can promise bootloader won't be locked and won't only be AOSP. (Not even considering pre-load with Google service)

- By JUL/AUG when I close the Moto Keyboard project and Youyota production line starts, I will reveal more design work and pictures...

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Oh dear. Someone give me a chair and a glass of water, I'm feeling dizzy.

Sorry for the typo in your name in my previous post, fixed.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-13 at 15:16.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os