Notices

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
The major browsers on the Maemo operating system being Firefox based I was wondering if security issues such as this might be addressed. (German government issues warning for vulnerability in FF)
The article does not inspire any examples of actions by malicious code nor does it say how and if Linux Firefox systems might be affected. Any idea's?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8580716.stm

Second:
Does anybody find that besides adblock noscript is a must to surf the interent these days?
It seems not to be properly supported by either of the browsers MicroB and Firefox for Maemo or am I wrong? (MicroB does not install it and on Firefox it installs but you cannot control the options)

AdBlock is available for MicroB http://maemo.org/packages/view/adblock-plus-1.0/, didn't find noscript but it should be doable as well.

I guess any security issues in the Gecko rendering engine (these are the ones that would be shared with Firefox proper) will be fixed on Maemo as well as soon as the fix is available upstream.

Firefox mobile aka. Fennec also shares little more than the rendering engine with firefox proper (I'd guess the XUL stuff too but that's about it) so vulnerabilities in firefox proper are not automatically vulnerabilities in fennec.

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Noscript currently under version 1.9.9.74 is compatible Firefox Mobile 1(.01)

It offers 4 levels of security:

Off (are you serious?!)
Easy going (Blacklist+Web Security)
Classic (Whitelist+Web Security)
Fortress (Full lockdown)

I am still missing the per web page configuration of the items to be blacklisted. I assume it might be possible to import the blacklist file from a desktop edition.
Edit: yes it does import via Firefox Weave Synch

Last edited by ste-phan; 2010-05-08 at 16:15.