Notices

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
There are many reasons as to why I choose to use my Nokia N900 as my main phone and literally love it more than any other device out there today, even with its flaws.

I won't list many of them but I will definitely focus on the main one!

Bluemaemo

Short Version: I want it ported to the successor of the N900, whether it is the N950 or something else, whether it runs Meego, or the Meego related Maemo 6 project OS. I want this app on either or both of those OS if possible!

Heres Why:

What this app offers is amazing, the functionality, convenience and flexibilty it gives along with the simple cool factor. I mean I love that I can just sit back and control my entire PS3 with my phone. And that is mainly what I use it for, as PS3 media remote, mouse and keyboard all in one.

It not only gives me exactly the control and convenience I am after, but also allows me to show off the features and power of the N900 to my friends, as none of them have phones that can do this. It also gives me another reason to mock the iPhone 4 lol..

But back to business... Of course this app has other uses that are also very important, but for me it is the fact that it, as far as I know is currently the only app that can fully control a PS3. I know Sony have made a 'Playstation Phone' recently but to me thats just gimmicks.

I would go as far as saying that this app is one of the strongest reasons I have an N900. To the point that I have re-flashed a perfectly working and heavily customized phone when Bluemaemo stopped working or when I had Enna installed, just so I could lose everything, reset, get Bluemaemo again and go forward from there.

I am not sure if other users love this app as much as I do, I hope some among you are fanatics but I really don't want to lose this app when the Meego/Maemo OS software are released.

Bluemaemo coupled with QTirreco allows me to control my entire HD theatre system (amp/surround sound, tv, sky, ps3) with one device, while I lean back on the couch like a lazy fool... That's 4 remotes in one device! Because for me if the remote is out of reach, it may as well be in china! lol

My N900 is a media centre, nothing has matched it so far and that is exactly what I am afraid of.

This is why I would like some talented devs to begin a project to port Bluemaemo to work with Meego.

Of course, as I said before there are many many other great features that the N900 offers, but those are mainly OS related and I am confident that Meego/Maemo 6 will not miss anything out from there.

But in terms of applications, Bluemaemo is by far the best app I have ever used, not just on this phone, but even comparing to other phones that I have (N8, iPhone 4 yes I hate it and love it lol, aiming to get E7).

But all of these phones feel inferior to my N900, like a downgrade and are just toy models to me. My N900 is a beast, pure muscle car calibre..

Thats why I want one of its best apps to not die out when the N900 is eventually replaced, I would literally keep the N900 forever to keep this app.

But would prefer it ported to its successor. Would any devs be interested in taking up this project? The developement edition of Meego should be a suitable platform for it

Last edited by Prozac786; 2011-04-26 at 13:00.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sorocaba, Brasil
Is this an announce or a request? Would you mind editing the title? Thanks in advance.

Sure, no problem. Corrected

Bump: Anyone interested in taking up this project?

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
As long as there are no specifications whatsoever or even an official announcement regarding a possible N900 successor, this is pretty pointless.

Actually it's not at all pointless as Meego will be available on Nokia devices, regardless of whether the device is a successor to the N900 or not.

Meego (final/full/stable version) may also be available on the N900 it self, providing it can handle the full OS. Chances are, it will, as seen in many DE demos.

Either way, new phone with new OS or current phone with new OS, I would really like to keep using some of my really unique apps, that most phones do not have, such as Bluemaemo.

Since the Developer's Edition of Meego has recently been released, I think this is the perfect point in time to make such a thread, for possible app ports to Meego in the future.

I mean a lot of people will love the Meego OS, but if it does't offer some pretty solid, versatile or unique apps then it won't gain a large enough user base to compete with other leading smarphone OSs and I am sure that is Meego's main aim, to be at least competitive or even better than what's in the market at the time of their release.

So again, it brings me back to the point that it is crucial to start app ports or start the creation of new unique apps, such as Bluemaemo to coincide with the DE release.

That is why I have made such a thread requesting this.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
seconding the request

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
seconding the request
hehe, only almost 2.5 years afterwards, but fair enough - I'd love to run something like this on my N9, and I can't believe that there are so many other "apps" out there which require a server and a wifi connection and so many other overcomplicated things*.

* I am not, however, naive enough to not understand that controlling the Bluetooth subsystem may be a bit challenging as well.