Active Topics

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
1) It never seems to crash for me - I really miss the "blue screen of death" even a kernel panic would be nice now and again.

2) The firmware only fits into 256mb space - When I install a desktop version of linux on my PC it takes about 2.1gb of space. I want value for money (I know Linux is free but that's not the point)

3) There is only one desktop environment installed on my n900 - I want bloated KDE & Gnome desktops eating-up memory, disk space and pointless "compiz" effects.

4) The n900 fits in my pocket - I take a certain pride in squeezing my 15'' laptop into my back pocket. My collection of colour-coordinated extra-large pantaloons are all but useless.

5) Why are so many web-sites rendered so well on my n900? - Other mobile devices don't do that (e.g. iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile)?

6) Why does the battery last so long? - After my laptop has been idling for an hour or so it warns me the battery is low.

7) I find the hardware keyboard annoyingly accurate. - I can no longer blame my bad spelling on my "virtual" on-screen keyboard.

8) I am disappointed how useful the apps are for the n900 - It's a pedometer, comic book reader, pdf viewer, view my desktop remotely, even a full install of debian. Where are all the wonderful "iFart" apps that are present on the iPhone?

9) I can make phone calls on this too? I'm a software developer I speak to computers not people.

10) It has a built-in FM transmitter - instead of listening to radio stations playing adverts (with the annoying bits of music in-between) I can play my music collection through my car stereo.

11) Why is this device so useful? - It wakes me up in the morning, use my PC remotely, write software, play music, watch tv shows, keeps me fit. I want to be the person that buys the new shiney thing, uses it for 5 minutes then complain about the smallest & insignificant shortcomings of the device because I cannot think of something useful to do with it.

12) The n900 is multitasking - I'm a man! I can't mutiltask. Having my n900 doing more than one thing is wierd I can't do that. I can barely single-task..I have the attention span of a goldfish....and another thi.....squirrel....

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I agree with all but the battery point. it has proved quite inconcistent for different people.

Mine with light-medium use doesnt pass 6 hours. Go figure.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
To be fair I did notice that if I am in an area with a weak mobile phone signal the battery-life is much shorter.

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
I find the openGL 2.0 support infuriating. I miss the days where playing 2D side scrollers on the loo were the norm. The 3D Engine that they have built into this thing is just too good. Now I "Bounce" or play Quake. I might install Doom. But that will never replace "Ranging Rabbit" or "Asteroids", or even "Space Invaders".

The data transfer / write speeds to the local drive on the device are a real bugbear too. Gone are the days where you could connect via PC Suite and spend the next hour or so transferring 5 albums from PC to phone. Why is it so fast? I can't be bored watching slow 1% increases anymore. That's too much time I have gained.

I can't be doing with the screen resolution either. When I watch a movie on my phone I want to be able to complain about the graininess, the jumpy frame transition and the fact that I have had to convert from one format to another and resize the frame so that my phone will accept it. C'mon Nokia, you mean it will play just about anything? Where's the hardship in that?!

The HSDPA connection. It's too fast. And it renders webpages too quickly. When I'm out on the town I want to be able to pull out my phone and spend the next five minutes absorbed in it, waiting for it to render the next page of whatever webby I'm currently browsing. I want to be able to say to my mates "just a little longer lads" and then be laughed at when it returns "Webpage time-out".

It does FLV. I mean really. Flash files, flawlessly rendered and played in the palm of your hand? I don't get it. Streaming YouTube? Various other FLV based sites, perfectly shown on a high res screen that you carry in your pocket? Why?!

It's all too much.

I agree with you johnel. We all like cake.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Switch_ For This Useful Post:
13) It won't be obsolete for years because of open-source stuff? That means that Nokia cannot dictate to me when the n900 will be obsolete. The SDK is freely downloadable, the n900 also has perl & python installed & MeeGo will be releasing an even more open-source platform for my n900. As long as users own this device support should be still available by the community. "We would have gotten away with it without you meddling open-source commie b****** kids."

strange post

n900 is a gift from nokia ... lets enjoy while we can

cheers to ya'all

Originally Posted by abubakar View Post
strange post

n900 is a gift from nokia ... lets enjoy while we can

cheers to ya'all
A gift from Nokia!?

thats a strange post indeed

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Aachen, Germany
It's a gift? Does that mean they are giving it away for free? .. YAY

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I've been carrying the N900 for a few months now, and I seem to have gotten awk in my pocket.

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
48Gb of mass storage available in my pocket with no drivers required. What's that all about? I miss the days of carrying a CD of driver software.

Tethering my laptop through it for internet access over my unlimited dataplan - now I have too much money to worry about.

Replacing my smartphone, iPod, video player, TomTom, Nintendo DS and point-and-shoot camera with one beautiful device. Why can't I carry six things with all the associated chargers and battery issues.
OK, so maybe not the TomTom... yet.