Active Topics

Doesn't it work work with kernel-plus? :P

Originally Posted by hedayat View Post
Doesn't it work work with kernel-plus? :P
Partly. But it is not reliable, yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
I wonder if David would be interested in finally have a look into it, as a contracted workpackage for customer Neo900 UG

/jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Joerg, This was one of the issues I brought up a while back with regards to the neo900. Lack of injection along with no integrated MMS are the things holding me back from placing a complete order for the Neo900.

I am hoping the the Pyra coming out with cellular data support generates working MMS capabilities (although, they seem to be looking in the direction of simply adding android .apk support to fill telephony and messaging needs)

it seems wl1271 we plan to use in Neo900 is as close as it gets to having simple and working injection support, based on wl12xx drivers and firmware.
However if you're aware of a nice WLAN module (with (FCC) type approval) with decent interface (no USB please) and low power consumption, no more than 2.5mm height and full support by open documentation and free drivers that does all those goodies like injection and monitor mode and 5GHz we want, feel free to send me a pointer to the URL of the datasheet and the supplier where we can buy it. :-)
[edit] googling dug up http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-w.../msg78413.html which has lots of references to wl1271, didn't check how far that actually implements something useful. Possibly wl1271 comes with paket injection supported OOTB?[/edit]

For MMS support, what's the problem? afaict the N900 already has frals' fmms or what's the name, and porting that to work with the excellently documented P*S8 AT interface instead of obscure BB5 cmt ISI interface should be really really simple.

[edit] sidenote: you're aware that Pyra and Neo900 are designed on same PC by same guy and use both the same modem module and possibly even same WLAN module? And that probably a lot of software working on pyra could work on Neo900 too, OOTB or after mere recompilation?[/edit]
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-09-14 at 20:22.

Some broadcom chips support packet injection.

No FMMS is broken on some providers and is an outdated patchwork.

@JOERG_rw injection on the device wifi is not that important. As long as OTG allows to attach a USB wifi, and, kernel have support for that chipset. that, would be even better, as it would allow for better antenna abd thus attack range.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
@nieldk: thanks! :-)
@swordfish: dunno what to answer to "if you're aware of a nice WLAN module (with (FCC) type approval).. A: Some broadcom chips support packet injection." FMMS implements a pretty clear standard procedure, when some providers don'T work with it then those providers added some hacks to that standard that FMMS would need to learn to cope with, nothing to start bickering about, not frals' fault either. And how is it a "patchwork"? It's maybe outdated since nobody bothered to update it. "Your fault" Anyway MMS is a software feature, not a hardware problem. Just like for example new web-browser is. As long as the hardware provides the needed resources... which Neo900 for sure does.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-09-13 at 15:11.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Regarding the WiFi I guess both options (in-built and USB) would be nice.

Concerning fMMS there was/is some problematic situation.
Some providers switched to send MMS in version 1.1 (using some headers of that version that were not in 1.0 and not implemented in fMMS). I found that after more than a year (and lots.of efforts ). fMMS just needs a rework regarding these header implementations.
But the cause of the special problem swordfish has (not being able to send) is not known.
As well as some other people's probs but as it concerns some privacy I never received more information

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Listen you can bitch all you want, but there are reasons people aren't buying the Neo900:

1. Lack of Software improvement over the N900 (why would anyone want the latest and greatest tech if it runs or doesn't run the same old **** that runs on the N900 with no improvements?)

2. There is such a small run that few if any new software will be developed for it, an no incentive for developers to create for the 12 people that do buy the Neo900

3. Astronomical price

So you can enjoy having an N900 with new under utilized tech

For exactly the opposite of these reasons I will be buying a Pyra. Also you are a dick

Last edited by Swordfish II; 2015-09-14 at 19:04.