Notices

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I disagree. There's no logical reason in my opinion as to why anything completely unrelated to the screen controls should switch full-screen mode on/off.
i will explain in detail. Question you need to ask yourself is when and why is navigation guidance mode icon pressed? Two fold answer to it.

one when we are done Routing our route, enabled Tracking settings, GPS is locked-in, a certain Zoom-level is set on map, Download Map Tiles in cache done (using offline routing mode), clicked on Offline Mode and now you are all set on your journey from a Source -> Destination; point being all the settings take place prior to navigating and they are very nicely laid out in drop down menu.

two, this mode is used when we are driving or perhaps biking etc i.e. navigating our way. We are on the route now. We have set the controls and now we want marble to take auto-pilot and guide us while we concentrate on the road. By toggling to full-screen it gives a clear, unclustered and bigger map view in range making it easier to peek and know which next turn is coming up. Also forcing a touch to ideally either pull a car on the side or stop biking before making any necessary changes/adjustments to the route.

Lastly, in my last post i mentioned a fullscreen icon which i also told earthwings on irc chat. That would give freedom to use however one feels fit.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
i will explain in detail. Question you need to ask yourself is when and why is navigation guidance mode icon pressed?
It's not that I can't see your reasoning for the suggestion, it's that I think other things (not forcing one demographics' preferences upon others, mainly) matter slightly more.

Originally Posted by niqbal
Two fold answer to it.

one when we are done Routing our route, enabled Tracking settings, GPS is locked-in, a certain Zoom-level is set on map, Download Map Tiles in cache done (using offline routing mode), clicked on Offline Mode and now you are all set on your journey from a Source -> Destination; point being all the settings take place prior to navigating and they are very nicely laid out in drop down menu.

two, this mode is used when we are driving or perhaps biking etc i.e. navigating our way. We are on the route now. We have set the controls and now we want marble to take auto-pilot and guide us while we concentrate on the road. By toggling to full-screen it gives a clear, unclustered and bigger map view in range making it easier to peek and know which next turn is coming up. Also forcing a touch to ideally either pull a car on the side or stop biking before making any necessary changes/adjustments to the route.

Lastly, in my last post i mentioned a fullscreen icon which i also told earthwings on irc chat. That would give freedom to use however one feels fit.
I can certainly see your point. However, someone might want to change route mid-drive, or maybe change some settings, or whatever. Alternatively, 'forcing a touch' to ideally pull/stop a car/bike over to make changes/adjustments is a normative claim - I.E. that it's a good thing to force people to do that.

At any rate, I agree with you that that's something that would convenience a bunch of people - however, I do NOT think that it should be the automatic hard-coded thing, that pressing a Voice Guidance Icon should also full-screen the program - it's fine as an option, even as the set-on-by-default behavior, but I think that if implemented, it should be disable-able through some settings menu.

Alternatively, simply having a full-screen button should suffice, honestly.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
It's not that I can't see your reasoning for the suggestion, it's that I think other things (not forcing one demographics' preferences upon others, mainly) matter slightly more.

I can certainly see your point. However, someone might want to change route mid-drive, or maybe change some settings, or whatever. Alternatively, 'forcing a touch' to ideally pull/stop a car/bike over to make changes/adjustments is a normative claim - I.E. that it's a good thing to force people to do that.

At any rate, I agree with you that that's something that would convenience a bunch of people - however, I do NOT think that it should be the automatic hard-coded thing, that pressing a Voice Guidance Icon should also full-screen the program - it's fine as an option, even as the set-on-by-default behavior, but I think that if implemented, it should be disable-able through some settings menu.

Alternatively, simply having a full-screen button should suffice, honestly.
it would be counter-productive on my part to force my suggestions. I certainly don't want to come across like that. But there is one thing we both agree upon, a fullscreen icon to toggle between on/off mode. It is not there right now.

when both icons (guidance mode + fullscreen) are available to me on screen, i can click on guidance mode then fullscreen mode and off i go. If i want to make changes, i can click on fullscreen icon to come out of it and make changes mid-way. Not a good idea at all but if someone wants it, why not. Its like google maps on android, it shifts to fullscreen mode and remove the icons too leaving just directions and when you click (hmm i am forgetting was it a click) anyways, those icons reappear and you can make changes.

EDIT: oh also i feel icons in general need work to make marble look and feel better. i do believe it has got the functionality or most of it down (voice guidance is at an early stage for now) just a bit of tweak here and there and 1.2 can come out

Last edited by niqbal; 2011-06-11 at 07:55.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
guys, the solution is obvious: have two states stored persistently: the fullscreen state in normal mode and the fullscreen state in guideance mode. So it's still possible to set guidance mode fullscreen by whatever complicated way thru menus or whatever, have only one button for guidance-off in guidance mode, and still get maximum flexibility.
Alternatively you can have a "config visible buttons" thing, just like you can configure your toolbar in any normal KDE program.

Sure there MUST NOT be anything like fullscreen mode for any state hardcoded.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2011-06-11 at 15:08.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
[*] Distinguish between announcement and actual turn during voice guidance. Previously each turn type was announced up to 850 meters in advance. Now a second, different voice command (or sound) indicates the turn up to 50 meters in advance.
Yes, the new behaviour is much better and is quite usable already now.
Many thanks for your continuing improvement of Marble

Latest ogg-support from extras-testing broke voice guidance here too.
To get it back I did:
1. downgraded ogg-support to 1.0.5
2. reinstalled decoders-support
3. disabled extras-testing repository
4. apt-get autoremove
5. reinstalled decoders-support - bingo

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
I filed a bug report now for the ogg-support problems. Let's see where that goes.
We'll also start a contest soon to create new speaker files in various languages. I'll announce that in the next days. I hope to get some nice contributions this way such that we can ship a default voice navigation speaker with 1.2.

Also asked our designers to help out with better icons. Possibly this won't make it until 1.2 though, they're quite busy.

Thanks for the testing btw. Git master already contains some fixes for the issues mentioned above.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Today we're starting the Voice of Marble contest to collect voice guidance speakers from the community. We're looking for an english speaker to be shipped with the Marble packages. And we're looking for alternative speakers for each language supported by KDE -- at least one each, and that's a lot! Please participate in the contest and spread the word among your friends. The five best contributions will get a cool Marble T-shirt as a little present

Interested? Please head over to the Voice of Marble wiki page which contains all the details you need to participate. The deadline for submissions is July 15th. I'm looking forward to your contribution!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by acrux View Post
Yes, the new behaviour is much better and is quite usable already now.
Many thanks for your continuing improvement of Marble

Latest ogg-support from extras-testing broke voice guidance here too.
To get it back I did:
1. downgraded ogg-support to 1.0.5
2. reinstalled decoders-support
3. disabled extras-testing repository
4. apt-get autoremove
5. reinstalled decoders-support - bingo
you are overkilling it in my opinion. a simple

Code:
apt-get install ogg-support=1.0.5
restart
should suffice

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I'd like to report one issue I've had on my device as of a couple of updates ago (shortly around the time that the first beta build of Marble with offline routing was put up by earthwings on his server, and it was said that maps with MoNav routing daemon internal routing data would start to roll out soon after):

The Georgia map (the United States state "Georgia", not the country) always reports itself as needing an update every time I launch Marble. I currently have MoNav maps for almost every United States state installed, but this problem existed before, when I had at most a fifth of them (I've been slowly downloading them in alphabetical order, basically, over the span of a couple of weeks).

I've tried pressing the update button, waiting for the map to download, etc, multiple times. I've also tried leaving it alone between relaunches of Marble and/or rebood. I have not so far tested what happens if you "install" the map again over the install interface instead of update it through the update interface, or removing the map and then installing it, or manually deleting the Georgia MoNav map files through command-line, and then trying to install again. I tried briefly looking at the Marble site for info and didn't find any mention of such a bug, but it's quite likely I'm just not finding it.

- Edit -

To be very precise, after I update the map by using the updatUI button, it shows itself as no longer needing an update until I close Marble. But when I open Marble again, the update button for Georgia is clickable again.

I HAVE updated other maps through the this way, and they worked fine. I also believe that once very early on when this issue first appeared, Georgia's map actually updated when using the update UI, so it's not the actual UPDATE that's bugging out, it's Marble reporting that that map needs/has an update. - it just seems that wherever Marble(/MoNav?) stores its maps' update status, the value for Georgia has gotten stuck on 'update available'

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-06-19 at 09:02. Reason: Clarification

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
@niqbal: It's the same here -- downgrading ogg-support only brings it back after reinstalling decoders-support twice.

@Mentalist Traceur: Good catch. There was a name clash with the country Georgia, whose map is two days newer. Marble downloaded the american state, but compared its version to the country. I updated the data on the server, it should be resolved now.

@all: Please remember our Voice of Marble contest which started a few days ago. We don't have any female submissions so far, please spread the word!

The Following User Says Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:

Tags
marble, nokia n900