Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by roundyz View Post
No. Linux is the kernel at the heart of the operating system. The web runs on the hypertext transfer protocol over mostly transmission control protocol/internet protocol.

Tell bsd server admins how lame the web content is they are serving without linux.

Analyst predictions in this case should be taken lightly, simply because there are tasks that are not possible through a mobile device that are with a computer, that are quite frequently done.
Fortunately, those servers appear to run faster and more reliably than the Windows servers. AND the interface, as you pointed out, seems to hamper nobody thanks to some agreed-upon STANDARDS providing the interface while the kernel chugs away under the hood as it should.

Point being--pretending that Linux is something so alien as to be unlearnable is incredible hogwash and probably the basis for most of the ills in online society today. That, and AOL, historically.

I hate arguing Unix Vs Linux.. that's just silly. They are both fine, stable, workhorses and with modern technology are both perfect desktop OS's as well! (FreeBSD, anyone?)

*nix powers the web (google I believe has BSD servers as well, here). Windows pretends to power....... on.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Back to the teaching of Linux in schools I think is wrong, like-wise with Windows. Students should be educated about the technology, then given a choice of vendor implementations to allow for the students to see which vendor does this the best to their liking. This way students know about the technology and are bias only on the merit of implementation and not on the raising of a vendor due to popularity, culture or any other excuse to sticking with a vendor.

@danramos Love the AOL comment.

Believe it or not, for many people a computer is just another tool. Just like for many people cars are only tools. You wouldn't expect every car owner to be a mechanic. And you wouldn't expect every driver to drive a manual transmission. The auto transmission is easy and just works. When you try to teach these people to drive a manual, most will not enjoy the experience or see the point of learning it when you can get an automatic transmission.

People like simplicity and familiarity. People are resistant to change. Linux will not win the OS war unless the user friendliness is worked out fully. And don't tell me Ubuntu is already there, it's not there yet. People still have trouble using an iPhone.

I cannot believe the ignorance of some people, i can relate from way back, years ago when i was using nimble x, the first Linux distro i ever used and just because it wasn't windows i was getting grief for it, i just couldn't believe how closed minded some people are.

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by harp View Post
And you wouldn't expect every driver to drive a manual transmission. The auto transmission is easy and just works. When you try to teach these people to drive a manual, most will not enjoy the experience or see the point of learning it when you can get an automatic transmission.
Actually, in mainland Europe you'd be hard pushed to find any car that is automatic. Usually, automatics are for very high end cars (lambo, whatever), buses, or cars for handicapped people.

Only in the US and Australia are people really driving mostly auto. It's stupid, and I'm not really sure why. Well, I do, it's because of stupid decisions.

Wrong argument, you lose, try again?

Originally Posted by harp View Post
People like simplicity and familiarity. People are resistant to change. Linux will not win the OS war unless the user friendliness is worked out fully. And don't tell me Ubuntu is already there, it's not there yet. People still have trouble using an iPhone.
Actually, people will learn just about anything, no matter how hard and complicated. Given sufficient time and necessity, they will go through it. Where you're right, though, is that people don't like change. Take 3 people who have never used a computer. Give them an Ubuntu, an OSX and a Windows 7 laptop. They will learn to use it in different ways, some more effective than others, whatever, but they will all be able to accomplish the same basic tasks.

Edit text, browse the web, chat with their buddies.

Stop being such bloody fanbois, who gives a *uck what people use. It's funny to see that most Linux fanbois are less tolerant than anyone else when it comes to Operating Systems. You rant the same stuff we've heard for the past 20 years, and yet not much has changed. The wanker who replied to that teacher is a fine example of whiny fanbois who can't take no for an answer.

Yes the teacher was wrong in saying that "Software can't be free", but she gave all the CDs back once she discovered her mistake. She didn't keep *****ing about it for decades. She learnt her lesson and moved on.

Seriously, get a girlfriend and get a life

Originally Posted by zairs View Post
can I use it along-side windows??
I know its not the point but I've only just go into this and so far I'm struggling.
Also is there any programming guide for dummies??
programming guide for dummies called University or College

Insaneeee.....

I'm not arguing about our capability to learn as a species. It is the basis of our development. I'm talking about the inherent laziness that results from our intelligence. The lowest reaching fruit may not be the sweetest but it will be within the grasp of more people.