Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
A few backers has already received their products.
Really nice box and all! Well done.

Better late than never!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
A few backers has already received their products.
weibo link is not workng though, needs login
btw, Congrats!
Now lets hope that Youyota gets on people hands as well!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Can I use this keyboard in Rockbox for Android? If so, I might just ditch my N900 and get a Moto Z instead!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Rockbox on recent Android versions is unfortunately not well supported. http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/...14177.420.html

I love rockbox, and I've got a ton of "rockboxed " sansa players (clips/e200/fuse/c200) Bought them all on markplaats very cheap the last few years. Personally I don't really need Rockbox on my phone, but it is surely nice to have it when no other options are available.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Greetings from MWC!

I had the privilege to be able to test Livermorium's Moto Mod keyboard and I must say I am very impressed!
Livermorium and Chen has done great work with the keyboard! I'm happy with typing experience, I can compare it to N950 typing, it is very satisfying. Slider works nicely, snaps smoothly in and out.

If I would compare it to Gemini, I would say that Mod keyboard is done for thumb typing while holding the phone in your hand and Gemini has more computer style typing experience.
Attached Images

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Received a battery-less version today (thanks again to @chenliangchen).

The whole construction looks weird at first, with phone part noticably heavier and thicker, but keys itself feel pretty good, even when compared to Droid 4. Overall text typing is way more comfortable than with on-screen keyboard.

As for SailfishOS, big kudos to Motorola engineers. The situation seems to be way better than what we expected. The core functionality of Moto Mods platform is handled by kernel greybus module, as opposed to Android services and frameworks.

Auto-hotplugging is disabled by default, probably to allow Mods Manager to check the plugged mod and ask user in case of uncertified one, but we can skip that on Sailfish. After it gets enabled, the kernel sees USB hub attached to USB host controller and normal USB keyboard on it, so the rest is plug-and-play (this also means you can't connect device to PC and use keyboard at the same time, but just charging works).

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
There is a very nice SFOS version already built for Moto Z Play, and Z, Z Play, Z2 Force and Z2 Play are all bootloader unlockable, so in theory all of them could get a community SFOS.

Now with the keyboard proven working under SFOS, I think we have a new option for Keyboard + SFOS, as a successor to the current TOHKBD solution.

Perhaps we should open another thread gathering all the info together, such as OS adaptation, Keyboard availability etc, if necessary.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Rockbox on recent Android versions is unfortunately not well supported. http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/...14177.420.html

I love rockbox, and I've got a ton of "rockboxed " sansa players (clips/e200/fuse/c200) Bought them all on markplaats very cheap the last few years. Personally I don't really need Rockbox on my phone, but it is surely nice to have it when no other options are available.
Damn, so i'm SOL and have to stick with my N900 then?

The Following User Says Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd, tainted love