Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Tallinn
Hei

Found some threads about N900 with similar problems, but no record about N9 so far.

Problem is that with pr 1.3 my video recording became laggy, about 1 sec stops while recording in preview and it shows the same lags in video later while playing it.

Background processes according to top are minimal, about max 2-5% cpu (?) load.

Has anyone had similar problems or had some experience with this in N9?

Thanks in advance,
ND

Yeah, mine does that, too. Not too often, but it's pretty annoying when it happens.

I blame the single core cpu.

Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
Originally Posted by impact View Post
Yeah, mine does that, too. Not too often, but it's pretty annoying when it happens.

I blame the single core cpu.
Again, number of cores has nothing to do with it.

Nokia N8 - records perfectly, with a much larger sensor (12 megapixels) and much higher bit-rate compared to N9, and that gives much higher quality. But it has a slower processor, so it should lag like crazy .. should... but it doesn't. At all.

Nokia 808 Pureview - 41 megapixels - 1080p video.. on a single core CPU (which is almost the same as the N9 CPU).. records perfectly and with amazing detail and oh, no lag. Enough said.

Yes, the video lags while recording and it's annoying..

but

It's not the number of cores. It's the OS code which is not optimized properly because Nokia abandoned it. But for its first few iterations in just a year, it's pretty darn good (as opposed to iOS, which took 4 years to be anywhere near a productive state.. Or Android, which, after 5 years, RELIES on more and more cores to run smoothly since the code is that messed up)

Soooo, what we need is to pray that somehow miraculously we get a maintenance update which cleans out a few multi-tasking bugs and such.. and more GPU drivers + codecs for video playback.

In other words, I'm never gonna sell my awesome N8 :P

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post:
Hi, I have the same problem and its frustrating as I take a lot of family videos with my N9.

One solution is prior to recording videos, I would do a reboot of my N9, then it would work fine for a while before it starts lagging again (usually after prolong use).

It's unpredictable and inconsistent lagging, sometimes within 10 secs of recording, sometimes more. Sound will continue to be recorded though with no lagging.

I really hope there is a fix for this.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Tallinn
Hei! It seems to be the memory related issue, because after restart it seems for me to behave normally again, havent tried longer videos than few minutes yet, but initial video taking does not experience lag as it did before!

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
I wonder if periodically running DropCache would solve this?

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Pakistan
Same issue here with me. It was there in PR 1.2 and its still here in PR 1.3. I have flashed it twice. But problem is still here. Drop cache didn't solve this neither the overclocking. And its really really annoying

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Austria
My guess would be that something else is writing to (or reading from) the flash drive at the same time, thus causing the small lags. For a worst case scenario: Try copying a big file to your N9 and recording video at the same time -> lots and lots of lags.

I don't mind rebooting prior to video recording but it really is a hassle.

Has anyone figure out a way to schedule a daily reboot of n9 would be a great help.

Originally Posted by flopjoke View Post
Again, number of cores has nothing to do with it.

Nokia N8 - records perfectly, with a much larger sensor (12 megapixels) and much higher bit-rate compared to N9, and that gives much higher quality. But it has a slower processor, so it should lag like crazy .. should... but it doesn't. At all.

Nokia 808 Pureview - 41 megapixels - 1080p video.. on a single core CPU (which is almost the same as the N9 CPU).. records perfectly and with amazing detail and oh, no lag. Enough said.

Yes, the video lags while recording and it's annoying..

but

It's not the number of cores. It's the OS code which is not optimized properly because Nokia abandoned it. But for its first few iterations in just a year, it's pretty darn good (as opposed to iOS, which took 4 years to be anywhere near a productive state.. Or Android, which, after 5 years, RELIES on more and more cores to run smoothly since the code is that messed up)

Soooo, what we need is to pray that somehow miraculously we get a maintenance update which cleans out a few multi-tasking bugs and such.. and more GPU drivers + codecs for video playback.

In other words, I'm never gonna sell my awesome N8 :P
Broadcom's GPU is much more powerful than TI's DSP when it comes to video encode/decode. Do you see any Android devices with latest SoC capturing 41MP photos? They only support up to 16MP. Broadcom is a beast when it comes to multimedia and graphics. BTW, CPU of 808 at 1.3GHz is like a Cortex A8 running at app 750, 800MHz.