Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
^ the idea is good, but not as easy at is seems at first sight. Stars/planets are easy as you're moving in 2D (=no closer/further targets on the same direction). With 'real life' situations, you have to discover WHAT you're aiming the phone at, and that's not easy, even if you have compass and camera input, due to sensor/pointing errors and multiple targets being in the given direction, objects obscuring each other, etc. To reiterate, the idea is cool, and sooner or later somebody will do it, but this Star Droid is far-far-far from that as it does not rely on any actual input from outside sources (apart from Earth's gravity and magnetic field, that is Now, if any of these devices would have a built-in laser distance meter, that would be a very different story.

And that's the idea behind the virtual world or web data base. From the reported location, orientation, and direction of the device a calculation would be made and the display would be relative. No need for laser range finders.

In fact the application could "know" if it is daylight or night time, if it is fair, overcast, or raining.

Granted that is a lot of stored and transmitted data, not to mention the CPU needed to parse and display it all. However, in time those concerns will be meaningless.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
And that's the idea behind the virtual world or web data base. From the reported location, orientation, and direction of the device a calculation would be made and the display would be relative. No need for laser range finders.
I'm just curious just how will you discern multiple targets in the same general direction. I understand it can work for stuff I'm right next to (and for those GPS is enough, too), but down the road ? From a window in a flat/office ? Across the river ? In a panorama/from a vantage point ?

In fact the application could "know" if it is daylight or night time, if it is fair, overcast, or raining.
You can do that with any GPS enabled device right now without too much magic. GPS gives you local time and satellite weather maps for a given lat/lon can give cloud/rain amounts, pressure and temperature results from nearby weather stations, ditto.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Perhaps I'm missing something. If there's a database of 'augmented' objects, the tablet knows its position and orientation in this augmented space, and the tablet has access to that database, then the object the tablet is pointing towards can be found using only an algorithm and no additional hardware. This is true weather or not there are multiple objects in front of the tablet.

For example ray-tracers use a such an algorithm to determine which surface a cast ray intersects with. I suspect something similar could be done with more simple targets (eg. a large cuboid for a building), and limiting the intersect-able objects based on their relative position.

I may be misinterpreting the discussion, though. I admit, I've only read the last two posts!

YARR!
}:^)~
AugmentedCorrupt

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
For example ray-tracers use a such an algorithm to determine which surface a cast ray intersects with. I suspect something similar could be done with more simple targets (eg. a large cuboid for a building), and limiting the intersect-able objects based on their relative position.
There is a very limited amount of places that have accurate *vertical* mapping, and even less that have it on the level of buildings. Two, imagine a photo of a city panorama. I might be (trying to) point to a building but I will have always hundreds of potential points that will also be on the screen, between and around me and the target object. The further away your target is, the bigger this problem is - that's why I mentioned distance meters which would give you a pinpoint location of the target, not a line containing multiple possible targets. But, as said, if it's just 'hey what's this building I'm next to', you're good to go even with N810 class hardware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
There is a very limited amount of places that have accurate *vertical* mapping, and even less that have it on the level of buildings. Two, imagine a photo of a city panorama. I might be (trying to) point to a building but I will have always hundreds of potential points that will also be on the screen, between and around me and the target object. The further away your target is, the bigger this problem is - that's why I mentioned distance meters which would give you a pinpoint location of the target, not a line containing multiple possible targets. But, as said, if it's just 'hey what's this building I'm next to', you're good to go even with N810 class hardware.
The first word of my supposition was "imagine".

15 years ago very few places were horizontally mapped.

...and yo ho CC I believe you're on the right track... It wouldn't be hard for a country club to 3D map its grounds, provide golf carts with displays, GPS, and wireless connections to their network. Based on the golf carts orientation, the display could provide a whole bunch of usefull info to the golfer. I wouldn't be supprised if this was already available at places like Pebble Beach

For that matter, the same could be done in large resorts or theme parks and with a device provided to guests for use while there.

I would like to see a device that looks similar to this.

This image was taken from an official Nokia blog post here:
http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/al...lopment-part-2

YARR!
NoBezel Corrupt

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
This image was taken from an official Nokia blog post here:
Just to avoid confusion, it's a forum Nokia community blog, which is probably not what people associate with 'official'

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Just to avoid confusion, it's a forum Nokia community blog, which is probably not what people associate with 'official'
Haha! Thanks!

YARR!
MistakenCapt'n

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I haven't read the thread, but had a thought I wanted to put out there and this seems to be the right place.

Wish item for the N900 or future devices: Video out.
I just got a HD tv and went through the devices in my house for compatability. I've dismissed the video out on digial cameras (and still doubt i'll bother to connect a camera EVER). But then I looked at the N800 and wished I could connect not only internet but MP4 playback device. Perhaps this would have very narrow appeal.*

Then the today I find this device 'Neuros digital recorder' (versions have been around a while and discussed here before). It redoubled my wish to be able to connect my N800 (and now for video in). Now that I type this, I seem to recall archos had a docking station for recording. Either way for now, I'll probably just use a full pc, but that still won't have video in.

*Which reminds me of a request I probably posted here before:
Expansion Capability. Give us some kind of expansion slot. Maybe a full SD card slot open to the top (like palm treo). We can use it to add whatever we need. All I can think of as existing now is wifi SD cards, and GPS. But it could be my above mentioned Video out, an IR LED (to use as a remote), radio tuner, maybe a camera. Other industry specific thing like walkie-talkie chip, multimeter, device net node, PLC, maybe a barcode scanner (laser emitter for use with the camera).

The Following User Says Thank You to TheGogmagog For This Useful Post:
I'm with johnkzin on this one, the N800 was a bit big, N810 is just right for me.
I know I'm probably the only one, but the N810 is imho too small for two-thumb usage. My fingers run over each other on the back.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist