Hi,

I really enjoy my n900, but think I have reached the limits of what I am looking to achieve with it.

What I am looking for is a device that is pocketable, lasts for 12-24 hrs (or turns on from standby very quickly), can run open office used with an external monitor / keyboard and can play movies on a tv.

The SmartQ v7 looks like a cost effective device to do all of these things, plus I can use the WinCE on it to learn Chinese

Does anyone have any experience with these devices?

Cheers

The V7 is a 7" screen. How big is your pocket?

I've got a jacket pocket capable of taking the 12cm width, but yes I guess I wouldn't call it "pocketable" by the normal definition!

Either that or you're a huge fat guy. I've been looking at getting one of these too, possibly to mount in the car, or use as a MythTV remote control. They changed the system between the two releases, and I'm not certain that the V7 is any faster than the Q7, but then the V7 has the HDMI output. There are versions of Mer for the Smart Q7, but as far as I know, nothing for the V7. Ideally, I'd like to get Meego on a V7.

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
I own the SmartQ7, if the N900, hell even the N810, would be in a 7inch version, it would be perfect: now the only advantage is the size (and you can buy multiple items for the same price).
I only use the Q7 when I realy want a bigger screen while typing documents - with abiword, open office was already slow on my N810. And Q7 ia much slower - but I won't complain, cause I know what I paid for it.
Well, let's say, the SmartQ7 ain't clever, where the N900 is: but it's cheap and has a nice bigger screen. I'd love to see a 7 inch N900-pad, with a slider keyboard: I would be so happy; I wouldn't even need the phone-part.

The Following User Says Thank You to RvanGogh For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info.

One question, do open office / evolution run on it?

Cheers

I have a Q7 as well. If I'm honest, it doesn't see too much use.. its just not *quite* there. Really do think of it as a poor mans NIT with a bigger screen (but no higher resolution). It is a bit sluggish, to the point I've not tried open office or evolution on it (Abiword takes around 12 seconds to start up. Thats not terrible, but I am very impatient!).

With regards to Mer, it does work but I wouldn't call it day-to-day usable. It does very much feel like a work in progress, but because the latest work in Mer is going with a different GUI (which demands hardware capabilities beyond that of the Q7's) progress is slow. Also, if you run out of battery Mer will not shut down nicely and there are some horror stories surrounding that.

On the plus side, there is an excellent and very functional android build for it called QDroid. Its a touch rough around the edges but really quite usable once you get it set up.

I'm told WinCe runs pretty well, but i haven't got round to installing it.

A few good plus points- form factor wise the large screen is very nice (would have liked a better resolution). Battery life is excellent. And it is suprisingly pocketable.. fits in my back trouser (combats) pockets fine, easily in a coat pocket.

Main gripes- slow, dont like the plasticy feel, and I need a keyboard!

For the record, I've read reports that the V7 does have improved performance... to be honest, I would imagine it would have to because the Q7 doesn't feel like it could push out to a HDMI port...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i wonder how the coming archos 7 home tablet will stack up against the smartq v7.

i have a smartq v5 (5inch version)... its very pocketable... 1080p output works great... the three operating systems get better with each firmware release with android making most improvements (i still use ubuntu 90%.. seems to run 'cooler'). i love it... kinda sucks having no hardware keyboard but its pretty cool.

oOo is supposed to run ok... but i just think having a onscreen keyboard for productivity is an oxy*****... but there is that usb keyboard option...

oh one thing to note is that there isn't true hdmi out... it only does video playback.. ie no desktop. kinda annoying but w/e.

The Following User Says Thank You to qkall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki
What exactly are the limits you can achieve with an N900? One thing you neglect to mention is that the SmartQ v7 is not a phone but just an internet tablet, so you'd need to carry that plus a phone with you.