Active Topics

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
The "Memory" app doesn't report the rootfs space at all. From the command-line you can run "df -h" to see the free space - the two rows you'll want to look at are "rootfs" (mounted on /) and "/dev/mmcblk0p2" (mounted on /home - /opt is a symlink to /home/opt).
Mine reports:
rootfs use 76%
mmcblk0p2 use 6%

Is this normal?

How do I clear it up after installing then uninstalling apps from "testing"?

SLN member # 009

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
The site is just not usable at the moment!
(http://maemo.org/packages/)

Submitting my comment took several minutes if it worked at all.

Not very encouraging to comment and vote.

It's about time the new hardware comes online...

[EDIT]
And thanks to the connection I double and triple posted two of my comments... [/EDIT]

Cheers
Bjoern

Last edited by blubbi; 2009-12-17 at 13:40.

The fact that it's impossible to find a link to http://maemo.org/packages/ doesn't help. At least I can't find it anywhere in maemo.org.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Finding Things and Getting Started
You don't need to get to /packages to do testing. If you go to the Extras-testing wiki page, it links directly to the queue of packages in extras-testing, and in chronological order, to boot (the ones at the top have been waiting the longest). The link directly there is also given in the first post. To reiterate an earlier post, you can add the testing repository like this.

Which to Test
When picking an app to test, note that those that already have 10 or more karma are "done". Don't waste your time on those. Ditto if the package is < -5 karma: such an app obviously needs to be fixed and re-released. Make sure you are testing the right version of the app: there may be an earlier version already in extras. In fact, there may even be a third version in extras-devel, but that won't show up unless you enable that repository. To check, see what version application manager is showing to be installed and make sure it matches the version in the extras-testing list..

In the case you have the extras version installed, the newest version should show up as an available upgrade if you have the extras-testing repository enabled. You should uninstall the extras version first (rather than upgrading directly) so you can properly check for optification.

Testing for Optification
"Optification" means moving anything of significant size out of the root partition and into the 2 GB /opt partition so that the very cramped 256 MB rootfs doesn't fill up (which can really ruin your day). You see disk usage by using the disk free command (df).
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Mine reports:
rootfs use 76%
mmcblk0p2 use 6%

Is this normal?
Yes, that's normal. What you want to do is run
Code:
df -h | grep -e rootfs -e mmcblk0p2
before and after you install and see how much the usage of each changes. If more than, say, 300 kb (0.3 MB) are added to usage of rootfs, it's too much and the package needs to be optified (so vote it down with that comment). BTW, the above command just filters out the unnecessary lines; you can just type
Code:
df -h
if you want. The '-h' gives you the numbers in "human-readable" numbers like MB instead of bytes/blocks/kb.

One of the other tests is that the package uninstalls cleanly. A (partial) way to check this is to uninstall it and see if the df returns to what it was before you installed.

Commenting
Please don't let the server speed stop you from testing. Just start it doing something and do something else for a while. Your browser has tabs? In my experience, comments always go through but don't always show up right away, so just assume they work.

Plug
Anyone who already has uqm installed could start out with an easy test subject: uqm-3do-data. It's not an actual program so there's a bit less to test. Check that i optified it right and that it installs and uninstalls cleanly and actually adds the 3DO audio to your uqm experience and that's most of it.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-12-17 at 14:48.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
The fact that it's impossible to find a link to http://maemo.org/packages/ doesn't help. At least I can't find it anywhere in maemo.org.
Ack., there is no way to the repositories.

Really not helpful.

Kind regards
Bjoern

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
My biggest complaint about some of the testing criteria is they are binary "Yes" or "No" and do not need everyone to check them. Its even worst for optification because that can and has been automated but not integrated into the process (due to adding more time to the promotion process). I feel like its a waste of my time testing for these things. Instead I focus on bugs, being able to get out of the app (Ctrl + Backspace working if nothing else), are there obvious trademark issues (like using Maemo in the name).

For battery I mainly focused on the obvious things like for games should they pause when they are running in the background? When a game is paused and in the background, should it be playing music, doing animations ,etc draining the battery?

I another issue that has been brought up before that I think is on a task list is that some apps need to be removed from Extras Testing. Two examples "Maemo Recorder" renamed to "Recorder" and "Maemo Periodic" renamed to "Copernicum" due to trademarks but both version of the app still appearing.

Though I do admit I need to go back and rate some applications..

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lincs, UK
I share the concerns of many other posters, and would love to get in on the testing of apps.

What would make me a lot happier is a clear guide on exactly how to get my device back to how it is now once i screw it up. My Rootfs partition already shows apparently 74% use which is worrying seeing as ive hardly installed anything?

The Following User Says Thank You to DannStarr For This Useful Post:
why as the FM Radio Player gone into that list and is now not listed at all in the main list, is there a big problem?????

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
I think this will also be mitigated with what I mentioned yesterday:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37447

I have been testing, but frankly without knowing the differences (in the case up upgraded packages) or even the basics from the developer of what may not be working, etc. it can be a little frustrating. -- Thor

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Finding Things and Getting Started
You don't need to get to /packages to do testing. If you go to the Extras-testing wiki page, it links directly to the queue of packages in extras-testing, and in chronological order, to boot (the ones at the top have been waiting the longest). The link directly there is also given in the first post. To reiterate an earlier post, you can add the testing repository like this.

Which to Test
When picking an app to test, note that those that already have 10 or more karma are "done". Don't waste your time on those. Ditto if the package is < -5 karma: such an app obviously needs to be fixed and re-released.

Testing for Optification
"Optification" means moving anything of significant size out of the root partition and into the 2 GB /opt partition so that the very cramped 256 MB rootfs doesn't fill up (which can really ruin your day). You see disk usage by using the disk free command (df).

Yes, that's normal. What you want to do is run
Code:
df -h | grep -e rootfs -e mmcblk0p2
before and after you install and see how much the usage of each changes. If more than, say, 300 kb (0.3 MB) are added to usage of rootfs, it's too much and the package needs to be optified (so vote it down with that comment). BTW, the above command just filters out the unnecessary lines; you can just type
Code:
df -h
if you want. The '-h' gives you the numbers in "human-readable" numbers like MB instead of bytes/blocks/kb.

One of the other tests is that the package uninstalls cleanly. A (partial) way to check this is to uninstall it and see if the df returns to what it was before you installed.

Commenting
Please don't let the server speed stop you from testing. Just start it doing something and do something else for a while. Your browser has tabs? In my experience, comments always go through but don't always show up right away, so just assume they work.

Plug
Anyone who already has uqm installed could start out with an easy test subject: uqm-3do-data. It's not an actual program so there's a bit less to test. Check that i optified it right and that it installs and uninstalls cleanly and actually adds the 3DO audio to your uqm experience and that's most of it.
Can we get this into the Wiki rather than lost in a thread?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:

Tags
testing apps