Active Topics

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Could these be pictures of the Freemantle interface. The device looks like a N810/W

http://www.engadget.com/photos/nokia...ights/1210395/

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Simulated, sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
Then how'd those crazy Europeans pull it off? Europeans don't need a separate phone for each country.
By putting insane prices on international roaming. The EC is however finally putting max max limits on roaming for voice/sms/mms/ip, and it appears the limits lower by the year.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
By putting insane prices on international roaming.
I'd say extremely insane

The EC is however finally putting max max limits on roaming for voice/sms/mms/ip, and it appears the limits lower by the year.
Thus dropping from extremely insane to insane of course they don't really care (these mild efforts are just a smoke curtain to make us believe they care), since we're the ones paying their bills.

Yes, agreed. And, not good for the Europeon hegemony either. Besides, the Internet traffic is only in its first stage of becoming capped price-wise.

I've also had some sweet bills while residing in country X while using the GSM of country Y to phone to country X...

There are tricks around this issue though.

Some less professional solutions include letting others contact you, Internet cafe, VoIP, using free hotspots (sometimes free if from same provider) or cheap/pseudo free ones (such as FON, Boingo), use 3G of your friend with WiFi or BlueTooth (Joikuspot) or ask a stranger or search for nice stranger, or just be efficient in your usage while taking your data with you.

If I would travel a lot international I'd consider something like buying a (2nd hand) cheap-but-good-enough phone (pre-paid or subscription depending on duration) on site or (more likely) buy a subscription which includes iPass support. Vodafone also provides a flat rate subscription for business customers but this costs like 50 EUR a month. Might be worth it though.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Some less professional solutions include letting others contact you, Internet cafe, VoIP, using free hotspots (sometimes free if from same provider) or cheap/pseudo free ones (such as FON, Boingo), use 3G of your friend with WiFi or BlueTooth (Joikuspot) or ask a stranger or search for nice stranger, or just be efficient in your usage while taking your data with you.

If I would travel a lot international I'd consider something like buying a (2nd hand) cheap-but-good-enough phone (pre-paid or subscription depending on duration) on site or (more likely) buy a subscription which includes iPass support. Vodafone also provides a flat rate subscription for business customers but this costs like 50 EUR a month. Might be worth it though.
Do the things like the flat rate subscriptions require contracts? I ask because I just decided that I am going to Slovakia to visit a friend, and I'll need Internet. I do plan to bring my old handset for voice calls and get a local prepaid number. This way people can reach me on my USA skype number which would be forwarded to a local Slovak number. But for data if I am mobile, hmmm... Its needed for work (the data, not the travel)

Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
Do the things like the flat rate subscriptions require contracts? I ask because I just decided that I am going to Slovakia to visit a friend, and I'll need Internet. I do plan to bring my old handset for voice calls and get a local prepaid number. This way people can reach me on my USA skype number which would be forwarded to a local Slovak number. But for data if I am mobile, hmmm... Its needed for work (the data, not the travel)
(Ask your employer to arrange this.)

I'm not from Slovenia, and haven't been there. You should ask a Slovenian for more accurate advice.

It differs per provider and country (e.g. T-Mobile Germany provides different contracts than T-Mobile Netherlands). Usually, usage of VoIP over data plan (for mobile telephone) is prohibited by contract, and Vodafone actively blocks Skype. For laptop, the data plan is more expensive, but you're allowed to use VoIP with it.

A contract has a legal max duration of 1 year after which it is renewed every month by default (unless either contractee decides otherwise). Sometimes you can get a contract for a shorter period, for example Alice internet (DSL) is a monthly contract with max duration of 1 month. Also, for example, I have a year contract for voice (7,50 EUR a month), but my Vodafone BloX data plan costs 10 EUR and is monthly; every month I can decide to put it off. I don't think it is in general possible to do pre-paid + data plan, but I saw an initiative in the UK for data plan costing a few GBP a day (albeit IIRC not unlimited data plan), so perhaps this is taking off elsewhere in EU as well.

It looks like the hardware may already exist

Look at the pics and specs on this page:

http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Den%26sa%3DN

I know this is the supposed emblaze edelweiss, but the hardware sure looks like a possible n900:

omap 3430 500mhz process
8gb or 16gb built in flash
480x854 screen
GPS
USES NOKIA BP-4L battery

This is ostensibly for the Access Linux Platform, but seems like maemo could run on it pretty easily

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I kinda hope not... a 3.5 inch screen is a step backwards from the N8x0 series.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
screen size is .6 inches smaller, but has higher resolution(480 x 854). That is acceptable to me along with omap3 processor and 3.2MP camera as well as ericsson GSM phone chip

Tags
n900