Sometimes i get a not charging error message. .

Ny one know abt this????

it usually happens by using many apps together and chargin at the same time. .. Wit the wall or usb charger. . .

Is this a software or hardware issue?

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Why do you folks say over-heating? Is it too hot to touch? Crashing?
I noticed mine got quite warm when some buggy daemon was stuck thrashing the CPU. Fortunately I noticed the heat before the battery was completely drained.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
I only notice my N900 getting slightly warm when charging through the computer usb.

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by Kajko View Post
I only notice my N900 getting slightly warm when charging through the computer usb.
Right, and that is because when plugged into the PC the N900 never drops the CPU below 500Mhz (presumably so its always ready for data access over USB) whereas on battery or mains, it goes right down to 250Mhz when idle.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The main heaters in your phone:

- 3G transmitter
- GPU
- WiFI transmitter
- Battery

Try playing bounce, torrenting over your 3G, running a local hotspot with joikuspot and charging the N900 at the same time...
Ive got 3G connection, joikuspot and charging going all the same time and have noticed my n900 getting quite hot when running for a long period of time. Approximately, after 3 hours running as above, its nearly hot enough to be uncomfortable to pick up, id guess about 50 cel or so. The phone has also switched itself off once or twice when running it this configuration, and seems to take a few minutes before I can switch it back on. I can't swear to this being due to the heat, and im not planning on exhaustively (destructively?!) testing, but it seemed to be related!

As previous posts have mentioned, this is expected, however i guess that doesn't mean its a good thing! Am concerned this could do some damage, particularly if n900 doesn't have the same mechanisms to deal with this kind of heat as you would expect to find in a regular computer.

Does anyone have any experience of this behaviour or can comment on the likelihood of some damage being caused by overheating in general?

Cheers,

Adrian

So what can we do to modify our N900s to vent more heat?

I was thinking of drilling or cutting holes in the battery cover.

I was also thinking of using thermal paste or phase change tape where the motherboard affixed heat sinks touch the main case. I don't have the link handy, but there's a nice n900 disassembly video by techseven on youtube.

has anyone felt the N900 heat up while using the map app over a normal edge connection? cause mine does .. cools down relatively quickly too though ..

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by aidofitz View Post
Ive got 3G connection, joikuspot and charging going all the same time and have noticed my n900 getting quite hot when running for a long period of time. Approximately, after 3 hours running as above, its nearly hot enough to be uncomfortable to pick up, id guess about 50 cel or so. The phone has also switched itself off once or twice when running it this configuration, and seems to take a few minutes before I can switch it back on. I can't swear to this being due to the heat, and im not planning on exhaustively (destructively?!) testing, but it seemed to be related!

As previous posts have mentioned, this is expected, however i guess that doesn't mean its a good thing! Am concerned this could do some damage, particularly if n900 doesn't have the same mechanisms to deal with this kind of heat as you would expect to find in a regular computer.

Does anyone have any experience of this behaviour or can comment on the likelihood of some damage being caused by overheating in general?

Cheers,

Adrian
From what I've read in the past, I think the most immediate 'danger' is posed against your battery. High temperature may cause them to lose charge (much) quicker and lower their capacity.

I've also read of (anecdotal) reports that 3G\WiFi transmitters\receivers being (permanently) affected; causing them to have less sensitivity and shorter ranges. But, I don't think that's as conclusive as the battery issues.

Other components have much higher temperature tolerance and general durability, I think.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

since ive had my new n900 ive noticed its been heating up alot which is weird. I got a new n900 when my previous usb port came out, I usually put my phone under my pillow and when I got it in morning it was really really hot, even while im typing this from the n900 its still really hot. My old N900 never heated up any help?

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by shaf View Post
since ive had my new n900 ive noticed its been heating up alot which is weird. I got a new n900 when my previous usb port came out, I usually put my phone under my pillow and when I got it in morning it was really really hot, even while im typing this from the n900 its still really hot. My old N900 never heated up any help?
What? Why would put your phone under pillow?

You dont get enough radiation during the day?

Back you your question did u overclocked it? is brightness set too high? Any CPU intensive apps in the background?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011