Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 644 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Finnish keyboard layout with arrows and modded symbols for N9. Not the theme.
Note: Uninstallation restore original finnish layout.

Based on this, made ​​a lot of changes.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: deb fi-keyboard-arrows_0.0.1_armel.deb (2.9 KB, 839 views)

Last edited by MK99; 2013-11-02 at 12:32.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MK99 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Nice.Only thing I dont like is landscape layout.
ä should be where up arrow is and up arrow should take bit from spacebar.
How long it took? I am interested doing my own.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Looks nice! However, I'd like to suggest these changes:

For consistency and wider keys, could the landscape layout use the same layout as the portrait layout? For ArrowUp and ArrowDown keys of the ABC layers, please use the right-thumb side of the spacebar. It would shrink the spacebar to the width of 2 letter keys in layout orientation. Perhaps the ArrowUp and ArrowDown keys can be added also to the ABC layers of the Portrait layout - it would make the Enter keys as narrow as the Backspace key, if you make the #123 and Spacebar as wide as one and a half letter key. If all the four arrow keys are found in ABC layers, they would be quicker to use. You can consider also putting the ArrowUp key where you have the Ö key in Portrait layout, and put the 3 other arrows and Ö on the bottom row of keys.

The frequently needed comma ( , ) should be easier to enter. Now you don't find it until you tap #123 and then 2/2. My "Suggestion A" is to put it where you now have dot ( . ) in the 1/2 layer, and complete the functionality of the dot key of ABC layers so that you get the comma by tapping and holding the dot key.

"Suggestion B": The comma may be regarded as more important than the arrow keys. If so, the four arrow keys could be moved behind #123, but to its 1/2 layer. Yes, there is free space in the 1/2 layer where spacebar is needed less frequently than in ABC layers. With a narrow spacebar in 1/2 layer, there would be free space also for the ArrowUp key (where you now have the colon ( : ) key and for the ArrowDown key (in the bottom key row). Now, with the arrow keys removed from the ABC layers, there would be more space: to the ABC layer please add the frequently used hyphen ( - ) key on the left-thumb side of the spacebar. If you doubt whether to apply Suggestion A or B, why not make two variants: Finnish-A (with arrows in the ABC layers), and Finnish-B (with comma in ABC layers, and arrows only in the 1/2 layer of #123) and

I think that the $ sign could be moved to the 2/2 layer of #123 to accompany the other currency signs. After all, when writing text in the ABC layers, the most practical way to enter the $ sign is to tap and hold the S key (on the pop-up bar you won't need to slide for $ if its default were changed to $). Where you now have the $ sign, I would put Apostrophe ( ' ). This change would make it a bit easier to write English texts.

A long press on the Apostrophe key would make the double Quotation Mark ( " ) - I copied this feature from here. But please keep the " key also in the 1/2 layer of #123.

The following can have a low priority:

- You could enter also the £, ₩ and Rupee signs in the same way as the €, $ and ¥ signs: by tapping and holding the corresponding letter key: L key for £, W for ₩ and R key for Rupee sign. But please keep all the 6 currency signs also in the 2/2 layer of #123.

- If more characters are needed in the 2/2 layer of #123, they can replace the "Spanish/Portuguese" ¿ and ¡ keys. If I ever need them, I can change the input language to another by swiping horizontally from keyboard edge (after installing one via Settings). The quickest way to get ¿ or ¡ would be to tap and hold the ? or ! key, respectively. Also the :P and smiley keys can be removed, if space is needed for more characters.

Last edited by Egon; 2013-10-13 at 06:58. Reason: Minor correction of typos

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Egon For This Useful Post:
Uuh... Lot of changes.
It all depends on what you get used to. If you add up/down arrow to portrait #abc, it goes too crowded.
You press long dot, you get comma.
Maybe i can see, what can i do. If i have time.

PS: If you speak Finnish, please send a PM. The changes may be more to your liking.

The Following User Says Thank You to MK99 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MK99 View Post
Uuh... Lot of changes.
It all depends on what you get used to. If you add up/down arrow to portrait #abc, it goes too crowded.
You press long dot, you get comma.
Maybe i can see, what can i do. If i have time.

PS: If you speak Finnish, please send a PM. The changes may be more to your liking.
No problem. Your voluntary work is very appreciated, and there is no reason to hurry too much. I wrote my suggestions as a reference of how I see the keyboard features, also to arouse debate of what finally might be useful.

You are right about the too crowded layout of portrait Qwerty, if all four arrow keys were added to it, like in my "Suggestion A". After thinking of it, now I prefer the "Suggestion B" in my reply, appicable also to the landcape Qwerty, which I suggest to be identical with the portrait keyboard, except the sizes and shapes of its keys. Consistent use matters a lot, not only between the landscape and portrait keyboards, but also between virtual and hardware keyboards, where applicable.

The usefulness and importance of the arrow keys depends also on what you finally can do with them. The "Editing layer" of Swype keyboard is a good reference: it provides also features which usually are done by combining the arrow keys with the Ctrl and Shift keys of hardware keyboards.

Last edited by Egon; 2013-10-13 at 06:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to Egon For This Useful Post:
ya its good but you should make it more stylish..!

The Following User Says Thank You to shayanjameel08 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 197 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Helsinki, Finland
Just noticed that the download link is empty. Can you please check it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to late88 For This Useful Post:
Sorry, dropbox filled and cleaned up the accident. I put the installation package attached to the first post.

The Following User Says Thank You to MK99 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2020 @ istanbul
neat and just perfect. waiting for more from you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wasseem78 For This Useful Post:

Tags
arrow, keyboard, layout