Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gelnhausen, Germany

I have manually reorganised my mp3-collection (on the microSD card) by connecting the N900 to my Ubuntu netbook and by renaming directories (=albums) and by copying songs to other directories and by changing ID-tag entries using EasyTag.

The Maemo media player does not recognise these changes and still displays the old stuff.

I can't find some update date button (as on my perfect E71 under Symbian) so I wonder whether there is a manual way of updating the media player's data base.

Any idea?

What is the file name of the media player's data base?

Is it an sqlite data base that I could change by sql commands?

Cheers and thanks for your help.

Paul

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
You can run "tracker-processes -r" from X Terminal to reset the database, then just launch the Media Player again to kick off the re-indexing process.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Is there a way to have index the database manually if one has metalayer crawler disabled?

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Is there a way to have index the database manually if one has metalayer crawler disabled?
Not that I know of - you could re-enable it temporarily until indexing is complete, then disable it again.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
seems like it deletes the database after disabling it

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
You can run "tracker-processes -r" from X Terminal to reset the database, then just launch the Media Player again to kick off the re-indexing process.
It is amazing to me that it requires a trip to the terminal to make the media player do something so basic and essential for use.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
It is amazing to me that it requires a trip to the terminal to make the media player do something so basic and essential for use.
I believe it is that sort of issue that is driving the desire to have the MediaPlayer open source.

Once the player source is released to the community no doubt issues will be addressed and enhancements will pop up like weeds after a spring rain.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
It sure is. Well, as a temporary solution, you can use Desktop Command Exectution widget to run the command from your desktop via single click.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39177

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gelnhausen, Germany
Rob1n,

Thanks for your help.

I ran 'tracker-processess -r' as root.
Some index files, e.g. of the e-mail client got deleted, some console
messages said something like 'data base not found' or so.

After restarting the media player I did not notice anything about a re-indexing or changes as to the entries on my mp3 collection.

No big deal. Looking at other postings on Maemo Talk confirms that the applications on the N900 are simply buggy, half-baked and lack the extra effort.

I will keep fiddling around.

Cheers.

Paul

Originally Posted by Paul Lahner View Post
Rob1n,

Thanks for your help.

I ran 'tracker-processess -r' as root.
Some index files, e.g. of the e-mail client got deleted, some console
messages said something like 'data base not found' or so.
Try running it as user.