Active Topics

Notices

Here is the point of my device:

Size: It is large, much larger than an iPhone but it is pocketable unlike the OPandora. And if pocket-ed you can defenitely feel the bulge and you would miss a call before you can get it out of your tight jeans, but for the casual pants/shorts/jeans with larger pockets it is acceptable.

Approach: It is an Omnia. So that it joins multiple devices and multiple functions into just one device. Instead of carrying a phone/smartphone with your console you just carry this. (ppsst it was Apples secret)

Aesthetics: It is not sexy, it is not french. But what it aims to do is put "functionality" first, then tries doing the rest at an acceptable level. For instance, scratch resistant and anti-finger friendly, doesn't look like an experiment or something built over 10y ago and doesn't feel like a knock-off (its hard plastic that feels like aluminium).

Design:
It is focussed on accomplishing what it aims at the highest standards. It tries to make the best use of its large size to fit all those features inside while allowing the end-user (a simpler manner) to do what they want instead of focussing on how to do it. Example, squinting and trying to accurately hit small icons with a stylus and skimming through many menus are not on offer.

Devices/Functions it tries to roll into One:
Firstly it is your phone
Media player, Digital camera, GPS navigator, Portable web browser, Portable console, Small note-taker, Slideshow presenter, Media Storage Drive, Flashlight, Universal Remote Control ... and ofcourse a portable PC.

It is modest:
It tries to do all of the listed tasks at a performance the average person could bare (not for replacing the enthusiast's device). And it tries to do these at the best of its ability and is not focussed on a single purpose (ie 8MP camera is overkill when compared to a quality 5MP one).

It supports openess: It has connectors or connectivity options where they are the general standards. It doesn't force the user to settle for proprietary stuff, in mercy of the OEM. So accessories aimed at other devices could benefit the end-user. The OS of interest is something powerful (like desktop standard) but finger friendly and intuitive and not locked to certain standards or company's.

AND THE BEST OF ALL, THE TECHNOLOGY TO DO THIS IS HERE SO IT IS A HARD DEVICE TO BUILD BUT DEFINITELY NOT AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK!

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-07-17 at 04:16.

Processing the picture upload, will be here in the next 10 minutes...

On a side note, dedicated buttons/game controls is always better than something in the form of a GameGripper. Why? The actual feel of the buttons (get that correct click) and endurance (severe button mashing is welcomed) on a dedicated setup.

The "nubs" you see are actually not nubs (like the PSP) but instead is a 4-way joystick (like some early PDA's) so that there is some transverse leaning into the device making it easier to grip/hold the angle without slipping it back to neutral position. People who have used the iPaq 2215 (my first PDA) would know what I mean, except it is 4-way not 5-way (ie without the inward "Enter" click) like on the PDA.

Refer to 1:45 of this video to see the joystick in tactile action!

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-07-17 at 04:41.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Isn't there a D-pad on the n8x0? How about one of those but with proportional sensitivity, i.e. reacting more or less depending on how much you push is any direction (I think there was a console with a d-pad like that). If you add a fast keyboard (the n900 is a bit too stiff for good gaming speed), you can use the keyboard for gaming buttons.

Here it is:

All the things you need to see (plus some specs on the right side which is just theoretical, eg the processor could change)

And to solve the issue of texting for those that cannot adapt to touchscreen QWERTY, or even something like T9 that could be scripted on the gaming controls.

Here is how First-Person shooter could be adapted to it (based on Combat Arms fyi)

(Note this mock-up shows you how you can hide and chat in-game without the need for a keyboard, but that is also possible)

And here is how third person shoot and fly games could be adapted to it. Note, this took alot of tweeking and pondering to get this setup just right. Based on a theoretical 3D Dragonball Z game (hopefully ZEQ2Lite will fill this).

Final words: everything has a purpose, the presence of a feature to its positioning. I've spent some deal and drew this to be at the optimal spot, so as to compromise very little to gain much more.

Enjoy, thank me (I like being thanked: Homer et al) and any constructive, i mean any feedback at all is encouraged!

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-07-17 at 05:21.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
bump ^so what does everyone think about the:

o Physical hardware/form-factor?
o Feature list?
o Intended purpose?

how about making a phone that can out do the iphone .

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
bump ^so what does everyone think about the:

o Physical hardware/form-factor?
o Feature list?
o Intended purpose?
WOW now thats a device worth dying for again wow

@Edsal

Well it isn't supposed to be an iPhone (something very perfect but limited)
Instead it's your smartphone and your portable console (plus other things which are more like secondary functions).
If I wasn't clear, it won't have that iFlair but would be something less "rough around the edges" than the N900, and certainly not competing with Apple (the company) but still competing for your pocket

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-07-19 at 10:18. Reason: typo

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by antezz View Post
what about http://www.open-pandora.org/ ?
I would have already ordered Pandora if it was in the PSP form factor (original, not mini).
In the mini-laptop factor it's just unacceptable as a portable gaming device.

If one REALLY needs a hardware QWERTY keyboard, it may be as a slider - like in N900.

I really hope GP2X Wiz will have an OMAP4 based successor. I will get it in a heartbeat.

Last edited by smoku; 2010-07-19 at 10:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
I would have already ordered Pandora if it was in the PSP form factor (original, not mini).
In the mini-laptop factor it's just unacceptable as a portable gaming device.
Yeah, it is awkwardlys sized. Too small (screen, qwerty) to make the mini-laptop uses seamless ... yet too large to fit into a regular pants/jeans comfortably.

If one REALLY needs a hardware QWERTY keyboard, it may be as a slider - like in N900.
Yeah but here's the dilemma; qwerty is now an option! Screen-typing has really steamed up and is okay on large displays. But what they cannot substitute is gaming controls. I mean acceloremtre and multi-touch just don't cut it. So I think an N97 slider (more L+R finger room!) with gaming controls is pinnacle. It may even be useful to combine the gaming keys for typing (T9 etc). And if a qwerty is a MUST I have provided an effective solution, so there really is little down sides to my design (imo).

I really hope GP2X Wiz will have an OMAP4 based successor. I will get it in a heartbeat.
There is a successor, its called the Caanoo. It's a knock-off of itself and this shows the company is heading in a bad direction. If only they used the OPT's resources to bring the Pandora to life, it would've been a great symbiosis ... they (GamePark) can handle the financial & business strain (what OPT cannot manage effectively) while OPT manages the software and gaming aspects (where OPT seems like experts).