Posts: 83 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Liverpool, UK
I've just installed the "recaller" call recording app, and it's completley buggered my N900.

It keeps rebooting. It'll start up, show a random collection of my desktop icons for about a second, then turn off and reboot again. Constantly.

I'm guessing i'll have to flash it but that brings me to the real problem - getting it into flashing mode. I've tried holding "U" and plugging it into my PC via USB, but nothing happens. Am I missing something?

EDIT - sorry, i've gone and posted this in the Maemo category, instead of the N900 one. Can a mod move it for me? thanks.

Last edited by adamFsmith; 2010-01-23 at 01:51. Reason: Posted in the wrong category..

The Following User Says Thank You to adamFsmith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Re-read the page.

Phone should be off when flashing. U should be down when plugged and when flashed. There is no "hello you've done it" because the OS is offline.

Follow the wiki to the letter. It works, thousands have flashed just fine.

ETA: I doubt recaller is at fault, it does precisely nothing while not running. Not excluding it, either, but likely coincidence? I have it installed, no issues.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

I have read the instructions to the letter, but the problem is with putting the N900 in flashing mode. Flasher-3.5 is fine, just says "Suitable USB device not found, waiting."

I've tried connecting the USB cable while holding U over and over, and nothing is happening. The phone stays dead, unless I turn it on, then it goes into it's cycle of rebooting until I remove the battery.

The battery is full, so it can't be that. What the hell is happening??

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Davis, CA
Hi Adam,

What OS are you using on your PC.

The first thing I did upon unboxing my phone was kill it by failing a firmware upgrade. When I tried to follow the reflash instructions in Windows 7 64 bit, windows could not find a driver for the phone in usb mode (holding U while turning on the phone). When this happened the flasher-3.5 program behaved exactly as you described... just waiting for the phone to show up.

I ended up switching over to another computer in the house and was able to flash just fine. Hopefully you can give that a try if this is your issue.

J

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrox For This Useful Post:
YOu can install Virtual PC or VmWare and install a Windows XP or something like that and flash your phone. I did this with my N900 and it works like a charm

The Following User Says Thank You to draco.bdn For This Useful Post:
Thanks jrox, I tried it on my old XP computer and it worked fine.
BUT, after flashing, it won't pick up my Vodafone SIM card. I just get a little icon of a SIM card with a red line through it, next to my battery meter. Which makes it a little bit... useless.

How do I fix this? Would flashing the eMMC help?

Originally Posted by adamFsmith View Post
BUT, after flashing, it won't pick up my Vodafone SIM card. I just get a little icon of a SIM card with a red line through it, next to my battery meter. Which makes it a little bit... useless.

That's strange. Try removing the sim and booting it up. Then once up, shut it back down and put the sim back in. I wonder if your sim flipped out causing your odd behavior in the first place.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
shouldn't this be a fate worse than a fate worse than dead?

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by adamFsmith View Post

Did you flash with the latest firmware?
Had the same prob after flashing the .48 firmware even tough had the current firmware running before...
Flashing again with latest firmware solved the prob!
(eMMC flash did not help in my case ...)

Yes, I flashed with the latest firmware, and I've tried putting the SIM in another phone. It works fine. I've also tried putting a different SIM in the N900 - no luck.

I'm edging closer to an assisted suicide here.... help?