Notices

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by jmc8501 View Post
Thanks qole, that does allow me to ssh our from my laptop successfully! Could this be related to my inability to ssh into my laptop from my N180?
N810.

For some reason your ssh client picks default port 2222 this is defined in either ~/.ssh/config or /etc/ssh/ssh_config

I'm not sure I understand tunnelling very well but do I NEED to forward port 5900? The reason I ask is that I want to VNC to a machine where I'm not the admin of the firewall it's behind.

This firewall only lets me connect to the machine through one port, say port 1234, I can ssh to this machine through this port but how can I also use VNC? Is it possible?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
I'm not sure I understand tunnelling very well but do I NEED to forward port 5900? The reason I ask is that I want to VNC to a machine where I'm not the admin of the firewall it's behind.

This firewall only lets me connect to the machine through one port, say port 1234, I can ssh to this machine through this port but how can I also use VNC? Is it possible?
If you're using it over an ssh tunnel, then there's no need to forward port 5900 on the firewall. The instructions on the first page of this thread (ignoring the part about forwarding port 5900), or the ones I gave in this thread, should provide all the details you need to set up the tunnelling.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:

Tags
ssh tunnel, vnc, windows