Posts: 54 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brazil
New blog post: Jolla at MWC 2017: wrap up

One of the most interesting news at this year’s MWC was the announcement of a collaboration between Jolla and Sony Open Devices Program. This collaboration will eventually bring official Sailfish OS support to Sony Xperia devices.

We are aiming to release official support for Sailfish OS on a leading hardware platform with great specifications and amazing build quality for our community and of course as potential HW platform for our licensing customers. The first project we are undertaking is Sony Xperia X, which we also showed at our booth this year.

Our CEO Sami Pienimäki commented that we’re aiming to make the Sony Xpreria X a follower community device for Jolla C.

Following that up, Karl-Johan Dahlström, Director at Sony Developer Program further comments that their open-source platform supports innovation and development with the aim of building the strongest ecosystem possible with unique software experiences. “Collaborating with Jolla will only serve to further strengthen that offering,” he adds.
My Xperia X is ready!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to brunelli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by brunelli View Post
My Xperia X is ready!
ready for what? to sell your phone? Do you think we get the sfos files to flash it self? i don't think so. You have to buy a new phone from Jolla directly with sfos pre installed.
or wait and hope some one leak it like the files for the jolla tablet.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
ready for what? to sell your phone? Do you think we get the sfos files to flash it self? i don't think so. You have to buy a new phone from Jolla directly with sfos pre installed.
Well, at this point we can't be sure of anything. Maybe it'll be like the Xperia E and Firefox OS (a ROM to be manually flashed), maybe not. I can only hope they make it easy for me to get a Xperia X running Sailfish OS in Brazil.

Right now all we can do is wait (and speculate ).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brunelli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
While I hope Jolla (or some partner) will also sell flashed phones directly (that could help adoption) I think it's pretty likely it will be possible to also flash you own device. It would be pretty stupid not make this possible, excluding a large number of people - current Xperia X owners and people who could get the device more easily through normal channels (remember all the restrictions for shipping of previous Jolla devices). Especially for something that's being called a community device.

Of course in any case an official clarification would be welcome!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Well, I wish us all that it comes so. But then you have to explain to me how the licensing working between Jolla and Myriad and his Alien Dalvik support? if each Sony Xperia X user can flash for FREE the SFOS and WITH Alien Dalvik support?
Without Alien Dalvik I can imagine, but with Alien Dalvik Support unfortunately not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Well, I wish us all that it comes so. But then you have to explain to me how the licensing working between Jolla and Myriad and his Alien Dalvik support? if each Sony Xperia X user can flash for FREE the SFOS and WITH Alien Dalvik support?
Without Alien Dalvik I can imagine, but with Alien Dalvik Support unfortunately not.
I would certainly not mind paying a reasonable amount for "official" support - even per device or even per year/device to get access to all of the features & updates - kinda like having a RHEL subscription (although all the stuff in RHEL is open source, #unlike in Sailfish OS at the moment.

But I can imagine even something like a volume license - Jolla pay Myriad a sum of money per supported device. IIRC each device needs some tweaking due to how Aliend Dalvik works, so it would make sense to pay them for the work (and maintenance!) per supported device. If this is possible I can even imagine community crowdsourcing support for additional devices!

In any case I've asked for clarification in a comment to that new blog post - even though I think the chance of getting a clear answer at this time is slim I do think it can help making Jolla aware of this.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
We payed 120€ for a 60$ device last year.
I guess most of us would not have a problem with raising <50 bucks for a licensed image.

I only fear Myriad is too focused on their main market to find any sense in operating on good will basis.

They propably did the adaption for J1, Aquafish and Tablet because Jolla ordered a fixed or at least minimum number of licenses Myriad could calculate with.

Would be very interesting to know what that minimum is.

Anybody interested in faking a call to myriad and ask for an offer for your newly created and soon to be released embeded linux automotive component that needs to run Droid apps for some reason
My bet is around 10.000 devices!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
But I can imagine even something like a volume license - Jolla pay Myriad a sum of money per supported device. IIRC each device needs some tweaking due to how Aliend Dalvik works, so it would make sense to pay them for the work (and maintenance!) per supported device. If this is possible I can even imagine community crowdsourcing support for additional devices!
Jolla can't even refund the money from the tablets, I don't think they're gonna pay anything to do that

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I am willing to actually pay more for an installation without Alien Dalvik.

Not that it would be likely to be possible to do so but yes, to put my money where my mouth is and to further good causes; I will do that if it ever comes to pass.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Remember there's another entity involved here: Sony.

Sony might be considering this some kind of marketing exercise, much like their Open Devices program anyway since its only of tangential benefit to the mobile division of the company.

So with a marketing budget the size of Sony Mobiles, how many Dalvik licences are we talking about here? 2000? 5000? It's not inconceivable that Sony would just give them away for free, since you must have already bought a Sony device to use it anyway.

But this is just speculation, since not even Jolla themselves seems to know how exactly its all going to work.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x