Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by ImDisaster View Post
Thanks again.

It connected, but couldn't find any websites for a free wifi I ran into in Royal Oak, Mi. The wifi network was called "Free Public Wifi." The local county is installing free wifi over all of Oakland county over the next few years and I thought I might have run into one of the hubs.

http://www.oakgov.com/wireless/faq/

Here is a clue that I wasn't connected to this new network. It says "Wireless Oakland network will be named Wireless Oakland" so I'm not sure who's network I connected to. The area I was in sound's like it should be covered in the first phase which is nearing completion.

"The installation of the wireless network has been broken out into two phases. The first phase includes portions of the following seven communities: Troy, Birmingham, Royal Oak, Madison Heights, Wixom, Oak Park and Pontiac. In these areas the technology and build-out procedures will be piloted. The total area to be covered equates to approximately 18 square miles and service will be provided to approximately 75,000 residents. "

Seem to recall another failure too...but can't remember where that was.

I'll try a Panera bread the next time I'm in there. They have a webpage approval screen.

I also saw a web screen at a Starbucks but don't plan on paying for mobile web access because I have that through my Treo.

I've seen those SSIDs in some of the airports I've been in...I don't know what they are, but they aren't free...

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Thanks for the info on "Free Public Wifi"...found a good explanation here.

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/arch...ublic_wif.html

Thanks also for the Unix terminal commands. I'm familiar with how to use "ipconfig /all" in a Windows command prompt, but Unix is still pretty foreign to me. I've got a lot to learn.

If anyone wants to recommend a "Unix for dummies" website I'd appreciate it.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
Third party firmware.

My carry-on usually has two laptops, their power adapters, several wifi antenna, half a dozen wifi cards, a network tester, cd case, gps, cell phone, extra keyboard. Plus some "normal" office supplies. I usually take up the whole conveyor belt when I pull everything out to be scanned.
Yup. DD-WRT ROCKS!

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
As a side note, going through airport security gets really interesting when your carryon bag includes a WRT54G, a cell phone, a bluetooth headset, an N800, a GPS, and several "wall warts", depending on how long the trip is!
Been there, done that.

I often have a PMP (Archos), laptop, pda, GPS, digital SLR, digital P&S, flash, lenses, cell phone, BT headset, portable batteries and adapters, wall worts, Palm synch cables, PMP to TV cables, portable DVD player, earphones and earphone splitter, battery charger.....Jeesh.

I've been working on getting the load down. I no longer carry a DVD player as the laptop works for that. I'm hoping the n800 will eventually eliminate the need for a separate PMP. I bought a Treo which got rid of my need for a PDA. Last vacation I bagged the GPS and lived with Google maps on the Treo.

Of course, then there is always the latest gadget to have. The question is, can device integration keep up with device proliferation.

I use AT&T's McDonalds WiFi Here service without a problem most of the time on my N770. However some servers try a ssl connection which the opera8 browser is not able to handle. I have been meaning to switch to Firefox20 that should take care of those issues. Panera Bread is great.

Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
Why are you lugging around a big wrt54g? Why not use the WTR54gs pocket router or one from Apple?
I just got the latter, the travel router. Is it possible to configure it using only a wireless connection, never using the ethernet port? Because of course that would be necessary with our tablets.