Active Topics

Maemo Mapper gives turn-by-turn guidance, but only for the previously calculated route. It can't do rerouting, if you get off the route, unless it has an internet connection. Don't confuse turn-by-turn guidance with automatic rerouting. Units using vector maps can recalculate a route from wherever the GPS is if necessary. Using raster maps, that's not possible. It can display your position on the map, but can't calculate a route, it can only tell you to turn when you get to a previously calculated turning point, and it can't route you to a new destination if you decide you want to go somewhere else. Only the previously downloaded route is possible. Maemo Mapper uses raster maps, and can't calculate a new route, either to the same destination from a point not on the route, or to a new destination, without an internet connection. It can give you the turn directions for the calculated route, however. Roadmaps is a new mapping app, using vector maps from the US Census Bureau, which can do autorerouting but it's still in alpha, and doesn't completely work yet. It started development in December, and offers lots of promise, if fully developed.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and for clearing up some of the murkiness surrounding these functions. I have a much better understanding now and look forward to the arrival of Roadmaps.

Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
Maemo Mapper gives turn-by-turn guidance, but only for the previously calculated route. It can't do rerouting, if you get off the route, unless it has an internet connection. Don't confuse turn-by-turn guidance with automatic rerouting. Units using vector maps can recalculate a route from wherever the GPS is if necessary. Using raster maps, that's not possible. It can display your position on the map, but can't calculate a route, it can only tell you to turn when you get to a previously calculated turning point, and it can't route you to a new destination if you decide you want to go somewhere else. Only the previously downloaded route is possible. Maemo Mapper uses raster maps, and can't calculate a new route, either to the same destination from a point not on the route, or to a new destination, without an internet connection. It can give you the turn directions for the calculated route, however. Roadmaps is a new mapping app, using vector maps from the US Census Bureau, which can do autorerouting but it's still in alpha, and doesn't completely work yet. It started development in December, and offers lots of promise, if fully developed.
This is the kind of answer I was looking for. Senior Member 'GeneralAntilles' (known as angry man on this forums) has confused me that MaemoMapper was a fullfledged standalone Navigation software in other posts reg same question. Thank you sgosnell

MM does pretty well for what it does. It will show your position on the map anywhere it has a map, and will start turn-by-turn voice guidance whenever you reach a point on a route. But it cannot do routing or rerouting on the fly using raster maps. There are free vector maps available from the government, but they are much less detailed than the raster maps from Google or other sources. Which maps to use is a choice the developer has to make, and either choice imposes limitations. Gnuite has chosen to use raster maps, so we either have to live with that or look for other solutions. AFAIK the Navicore program that comes with OS2008 is the only other choice right now. Roadmap isn't ready for prime time, or even close.

I'm making a trip from southeast Texas to Missouri next week, and I plan to compare Maemo Mapper with Mapopolis on the way. I know Mapopolis, and like it. It's a Palm app that is no longer being sold or supported, but its routing is solid, and the highways haven't moved very far since the maps were issued. I depend on it for mapping all the time. I plan to compare the routes I get from each, and watch the maps being displayed and see which I like better. I have 2 GPS receivers available, so it shouldn't be hard. I don't have enough experience with MM to completely trust it not to crash on the way. I've previously used DeLorme Street Atlas on this trip, and it crashed regularly. I won't use it again. If MM is stable enough, it might work for trips like this. Detours, if any, will require reading the map for the duration, because MM can't do the rerouting. Mapopolis handles that easily. It's not free, though, and doesn't run on the N8*0. TANSTAAFL.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
What is the best map database to use for in-car navigation.with MM. I currently have the Google street maps loaded up, they are too detailed. As you zoom in, the roads and names stay small. I can't easily read the names of the streets without looking closely.

Is the some other setting I don't see, that can make the roads and names bigger, or maybe a different map database.

Originally Posted by bluesubaru View Post
What is the best map database to use for in-car navigation.with MM. I currently have the Google street maps loaded up, they are too detailed. As you zoom in, the roads and names stay small. I can't easily read the names of the streets without looking closely.

Is the some other setting I don't see, that can make the roads and names bigger, or maybe a different map database.
Try the "Double Pixels" option in the "Manage Repositories" dialog (under the "Maps" menu). This will force Maemo Mapper to only display maps at twice their original pixel size, increasing readability from a distance, at the expense of the resolution (pixels per inch) of the image.

Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
[Mapopolis is] not free, though, and doesn't run on the N8*0. TANSTAAFL.
Tried it under GVM yet? I sure hope the next beta of GVM, and definitely the final release, has screen scaling; if so, and if it runs, that could work well.

Does Roadmap actually do turn-by-turn directions?

I fear that this is a stupid question, but I can't for the life of me find any in it. It'll announce all of the intersections to me quite cheerfully as I drive past them, and I can tell it I want to go somewhere and it'll put up a little red arrow to point the cardinal direction and tell me how far I have to go, but I can't for the life of me find any turn-by-turn directions.

(And while I'm asking, is there any way to tell the N810 not to dim the screen when charging only when certain programs are running? I don't want the screen to stay on when actually charging, but I'd like it to stay on when I'm running Roadmap or Maemo Mapper while in the car with it plugged in.)

Roadmap does not support navigation (I checked with the Developer: Charles). We need to do the same thing like MM, down load the routes to .gpx format files to get turn-by-turn guidance. But there is another one 'NAVIT' it does the turn-by-turn navigation. But there are no instructions on how to install it.

Originally Posted by danguyf View Post
(And while I'm asking, is there any way to tell the N810 not to dim the screen when charging only when certain programs are running? I don't want the screen to stay on when actually charging, but I'd like it to stay on when I'm running Roadmap or Maemo Mapper while in the car with it plugged in.)
I don't think there's an OS-provided way to define application-specific exceptions to the screen-dimming policy. But Maemo Mapper can keep the screen on (not dimmed) based on a configuration setting. Take a look at the "Unblank Screen" option in the "Misc. 1" tab in the Settings dialog.

This doesn't solve the problem for Roadmap, though.