I haven't seen much mention of sticky keys under debian, which is a great feature to have on an n810. Here's how I've approached it.

Code:
apt-get install xkbset
xkbset allows you to modify accessx and xkb settings in the xserver. It currently has a bug where if the xkb keymap isn't defined it will fail with the error "XKB not supported for display". something changed in xorg earlier this year.

to work around this, I run setxkbmap. this also has the effect of fixing the repeat problems on the left and down buttons

then i load up the xmodmap (to fix control and set other keys i use often) and run xkbset to enable sticky keys and disable timers. this enables sticky keys for shift, ctrl, alt, and fn.

All this goes into a file I autorun when I startup which looks like:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=:0.0
setxkbmap us
xmodmap ~/xmodmap
xkbset exp 60 =sticky =twokey =latchlock
xkbset sticky -twokey latchlock
Similar can also be done from the control panel applet of most desktop environments.

--francois

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to francoisg For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Interesting, on the N900, this technique enables sticky Ctrl in Maemo apps, and all of the advertised keys are sticky in Debian apps (shift, ctrl and fn), BUT it disables Maemo's sticky shift key! Double-press of shift still gives caps lock, however.