Active Topics

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Looks nice.. But its windows.
Just install NITdroid and change the UI.. PandaHome and some themes... Wonderful!

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
There is no such thing as a Linux device, they're all devices.

On the plus side, having Windows on the device would mean good docs, developer support and, best of all, I could write my own apps, finally. Given my experiences this far, I'd rather depend on MS with updates than I would on Nokia. Drivers won't be an issue, I imagine, as the actual chips in there support Windows. Unless Nokia fiddled with something odd (doubtful), I expect no loss of functionality on the transition.

Oh, and games. I don't think 380 games would be bad for me. And office. And iGo. But then again, iGo runs on Windows, W M, W CE, Android and iOS. So, everywhere but here.

Nokia's maps is great, but every now and then I remember I can't save a point on the map and I start thinking "how does a feature like "save" escape a developer, then I realize it's on purpose, then I get mad and frustrated because I can't even buy the full version.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
iGo
iGo does have a "Linux" (sorry I don't know more details) internal build of their software, so I ponder why they are not releasing it.

My viewpoint is that run whatever you want on the N900. Android, Meego, Maemo, this thing, even iPhone OS if you could get it working. I don't care, InternetTabletTalk's point was never dedicated solely to Maemo. Heck we even had Ubuntu working in a rudimentary way on the n800/n810. My favorite thing about the n800 was the fact I could run KDE on it thanks to penguinbait and everyone.

But don't expect others to do the work for you if you really want X. Developers here have different interests, and different motivations so don't think that you can just demand whatever you want around here. You can ask nicely, but if the answer is no, not interested, or no response then there's not much you can do. If you really want it then you can find a developer interested in

a) whatever you want
b) whatever money your willing to pay to do it
c) learn how to program and do it yourself (although some developers may not be interested in what your working on, there are quite a few people on here that are willing to help you learn, answer questions, or even take a look at what you've written and suggest improvements)

Heck, my own personal dream for the N900 is to be able to dual boot as necessary. Boot into a Maemo/dedicated desktop OS for desktop like work. And boot into say Android or whatever for whenever I need a smartphone.

Edit: This post may not really fit in here, but it was partially influenced by what I've seen other posters write in other threads. Like "if they weren't planning on finishing it they shouldn't have done it in the first place".

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
iGo does have a "Linux" (sorry I don't know more details) internal build of their software, so I ponder why they are not releasing it.
Maybe it's Android version. Their FAQ says sorry, no Linux version. No other details. I wish I understood why I can't run apps over various distributions, with a little help. Oh well, at least it's as ugly as ours.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The version that you download from Microsoft is just the new version of Windows CE. I was playing with it earlier this month. Those pretty pictures you see in the Engadget report, that OS doesn't come with the download and you must develop that yourself.

Nevertheless, it's quite a sophisticated piece of software development kit. You are able to choose what type of media device your targeting, the screen size, what type of network ports is going to be on, the processor type (supports all things from ARM to Texas Instrument) and a heap of other cool stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to horus For This Useful Post:
Now that microsoft has released ce 7 will it be possible to install it on n900..? coz it supports arm devices..(arm a8 included)

and wp7 is based on ce7 core..so which means it is definitely possible to install it on our n900. Nokia is definitely moving ahead with wp7..so from a developers point of view i would be happy if i could get this thing installed on my n900!

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Surely Chuck Norris would know how to use the 'search' feature?!

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=63472 etc

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
lol...chuck norris just found out the community's link finder...u post somethin jedi finds the link for ya..!! and please dont teach chuck norris..
and next time u search for the topic search properly. window ce 7 is not same as wp7!!

The Following User Says Thank You to chucknorris For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by chucknorris View Post
lol...chuck norris just found out the community's link finder...u post somethin jedi finds the link for ya..!! and please dont teach chuck norris..
and next time u search for the topic search properly. window ce 7 is not same as wp7!!
Errr, no - YOU want it, YOU search for it. Maybe then YOU will find relevant stuff.

Here's another link for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Windows+Embedded+Compact+7+on+n900

Tags
compact, embedded, windows