Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
VGA connectors are deprecated, they're going to start disappearing with increasing frequency. HDMI as a more compact DVI is the way to go....being digital, it also suffers less from interference and can travel further without degradation....

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
VGA connectors are deprecated, they're going to start disappearing with increasing frequency. HDMI as a more compact DVI is the way to go....being digital, it also suffers less from interference and can travel further without degradation....
Not really. The deprecation has more to do with commercial interests than technical reasons.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
I don't know anybody wich so long non-digital cables at home to suffer interferences... I don't know the long needed for that, but I'm sure that it's a lot. For sound is 30 meters. Obviously in places with lot of interferences is much less.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
how can I buy a neo900 ?

Go here http://neo900.org/#donate and hit Doante now! and then all the nice things like donating

The Following User Says Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
Whoa, that was like a quoting BS from some HDMI consortium sales manager. First of all, HDM signal, even while digital, is *much* more prone to interference, due to strict timing requiments and high bandwidth transferred + dropping signal entirelly, in case of errors. It results in much shorter acceptable cable length (without active signal boosters), and/or ugly fat cables.

In my real-life case, just placing N900 on standing leg of my monitor (~5 cm from HDMI cable), listening to FM radio *and* getting a call results in ~3 seconds of black screen. Never happens with VGA.

Also, HDMI is *not* royalty-free:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
HDMI manufacturers pay an annual fee of US$10,000 plus a royalty rate of $0.15 per unit, reduced to $0.05 if the HDMI logo is used, and further reduced to $0.04 if HDCP is also implemented. An alternative fee for HDMI manufacturers making less than 10,000 units per year is an annual fee of $5,000 with a royalty rate of $1 per unit. The royalty only applies to final products and does not apply to products that are included in, or with, a licensed HDMI product that is already subject to the royalty.[132] An example is that an HDMI cable sold directly to consumers is paid for by the cable manufacturer but if the cable manufacturer sells the HDMI cable to a HDTV manufacturer that includes it with an HDTV subject to the royalty then the HDTV manufacturer pays only the royalty on the HDTV.
In comparision, DisplayPort is semi-royalty-free - you can include it in your product for free, but some parts of specification are free *only* for consortium members.

This is academic problem, though, as we need neither. As stated in my previous post, VGA adds missing piece, that allows us to get practical results of *both* HDMI and DisplayPort (minus things really not needed by anyone, like digital rights management through HDCP), with only one drawback of using more cables (or cleverly made custom cable). I don't know for you, but I can perfectly live with that.
---

BTW, analog video is not going to phase-out, at all! They're just planning to slowly replace physical connector, but you will be perfectly able to connect your VGA output to DisplayPort input of your monitor/TV (in case VGA input lacking, which I seriously doubt to happen anytime soon, BTW), using semi-active (powered through cable, from monitor/TV), lossless adaptor.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-12-30 at 18:50.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@joerg
A short feasibility check, please?

@mods/admin
Would you please once more discuss/create/communicate the building up of a Neo900 section (to have such side threads bundled)?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post

@mods/admin
Would you please once more discuss/create/communicate the building up of a Neo900 section (to have such side threads bundled)?
I brought this up at least twice and AFAIK, Council were in agreement as was chemist. Maybe prod him about it in the next Council meeting?

P.S. Don't interpret my post as anything other than an update to inform that this has been brought up.

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-12-30 at 09:31.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Another thing to consider?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Is there by any chance we could get a better front camera module? Thanks

Tags
neo900, thank you!