Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
So as I understand it, the e-mail I sent with my self-nomination 'just-in-case-nominations-reopen' is now officially counted, yes? Because if not, better I resubmit sooner rather than later.

Edit: specifically, I ask about my self-nomination to council being officially counted, not about my self-nomination to board, since that is obviously not yet decided as per announcement.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2012-10-10 at 05:48. Reason: Clarification

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
woody,

I've a request; once internally the Council decides to hold Board elections in due course due to the conditions being fulfilled, can there be an explicit announcement regarding voting period being opened?

That would make it clearer and spare everyone the confusion...

Thanks!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I nominate gerbick and don_falcone.
All nominations and nomination acceptances must be done on the community mailing list to be official. Please see top post.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
So as I understand it, the e-mail I sent with my self-nomination 'just-in-case-nominations-reopen' is now officially counted, yes?
Yes.

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
can there be an explicit announcement regarding voting period being opened?
Yes, once a decision has been made and I know the machine has been setup and is ready, I will post here and update the top post with proper dates as well.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
... if anything, we need more people pitching in, not *****ing out. you're a killer resource, one that we, the community, could afford to have more on our side than seemingly against the community or neutral to the community.
The plan never been to leave, the idea was to allow extension of nomination period so others can join in and community gets a decent election and an elected by votes council. Now that woody did "the right thing" in my opinion (Many many thanks, woody!), I hardly can hold up my withdrawal since it did what it been meant for. So count me in for council again[*] (given the statement about 3 or more are already standing for council holds true and my standing will not again result in votes being canceled), despite - or just because - of all the bickering and flames I caused and received.
I'm hesitant to stand again for board though, since a) it would probably add even more confusion to that domain [if any of the involved/responsible entities thinks different, at least let me know so I don't base my decisions on incomplete or false facts], and b) at least one of the former "officials" utterly deprecated my standing for board.
While I think I shouldn't listen too much to negativism/flames from t.m.o in general, according to the old wisdom about "the angry ones are always 1000 times louder than the happy ones" (sorry to community at large for overreactions from my side to some of those flames) , it actually *is* relevant for me when current or former "officials" think I wouldn't perform any good in any such position, esp if they themselves aren't known for doing an exceptionally poor job. And actually since number of candidates for board seems high enough, it would be insane when I (with my little spare time I already announced) would kick out some much more productive candidate from board.

[*] I see the problem that quite a number of people now maybe prefer not to see me in council, and aiui if we end with 5 (or 3) candidates for council at end of extended nomination period, there wouldn't be any option for those to vote me out. So I'm willing to discuss here whether I should or shouldn't stand for council in this particular case.

cheers, and peace to everybody
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-10-10 at 18:03.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
So as I understand it, the e-mail I sent with my self-nomination 'just-in-case-nominations-reopen' is now officially counted, yes? Because if not, better I resubmit sooner rather than later.

Edit: specifically, I ask about my self-nomination to council being officially counted, not about my self-nomination to board, since that is obviously not yet decided as per announcement.
Mentalist Traceur,

i added you to the Candidate declarations but possibly due to your username (with a space) you do not show on the list of possible candidates (or on the profiles?)
feel free to update the page...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
[...]
[*] I see the problem that quite a number of people now maybe prefer not to see me in council, and aiui if we end with 5 (or 3) candidates for council at end of extended nomination period, there wouldn't be any option for those to vote me out. So I'm willing to discuss here whether I should or shouldn't stand for council in this particular case.

cheers, and peace to everybody
jOERG
dear Joerg,

how about we wipe the board clean over the last few days attributing whatever was posted to the misunderstanding about the election calender?

send an e-mail with what you feel you can or would like to contribute to Maemo.
i'll gladly update the Candidate declarations based on that

best regards,
c.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
Mentalist Traceur,

i added you to the Candidate declarations but possibly due to your username (with a space) you do not show on the list of possible candidates (or on the profiles?)
feel free to update the page...
Thanks. Yeah, that's because my username on the rest of maemo.org is 'mtraceur', not 'Mentalist Traceur'. I've gone ahead and updated the hyperlink accordingly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
For those who haven't checked e-mail, you should have received your voting token for Board elections, or will be getting it soon. If you don't get it within the next few hours, you may want to check your spam filter, your Maemo.org e-mail address, and/or go to the vote page and ask for your token to be re-sent to you. (There's an additional button on the login page for this purpose.)

Elections officially run from the 12th through the 18th, but apparently the machine is accepting votes slightly early, as it appears to be up and running now.

On this same topic, I ask that all involved consider your choices from the nominees carefully. As the nomination list is now 5, only 3 Board members will be elected. As a result, we're putting the future of our entire community into a very small set of hands. Please consider that when voting!

Said another way: Please don't vote for me, or if you do, do so only as the last of the other viable candidates you would choose from the list.

I ask this because I will not have much time to donate the first few months, as noted in my nomination announcement. At the same time, this is a crucial period for the Board, where we need as many active members as we can have. When there were going to be 5 selected of 6 or 7, my nomination made sense. But now, with 3 selected from 5, it makes less sense. Where I to be elected one of the 3, my presence could in fact impede the progress of the Board, which I would not want. Over the past day or so, I had actually been debating withdrawing my nomination for just that reason.

I will, as noted earlier, help the Board and Council in any way I can for the next year, regardless of whom gets elected. While I'm sure most in the list would do the same, they can do so actively. Due to the volume of work I have in the September to March time frame, that may not be an option for me outside of minor tasks (like meeting minutes and what not).

In any case, please do vote! After going through all this, the worst thing would be to have a poor turn out.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Also, please note that nominations are still open for Council, and the dates for that election have been updated. If you wish to run for Council, you must nominate yourself on the community mailing list by October 28th!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
In any case, please do vote! After going through all this, the worst thing would be to have a poor turn out.
I'd like to vote, but I can't, as I can't permanently modify the obsolete email address recorded in my maemo.org account.
Is there something I can do or somebody I can contact to in order to get that fixed?