Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by caa View Post
You should read the recent twitter thread about Nokia (HMD Global) not unlocking the Nokia 8 bootloader.

Here is a quote of one of the replies:

Hopefully Nokia (HMD Global) will change their minds (if enough people tell them to)...

Sorry, you may now return to your normal Sailfish on Xperia discussion.
Where do you suggest to go tell HMD Global to open the doors for Sailfish (official) ports?

Anticipating Sailfish X release I went to check the dual sim Sony Xperia X in a shop and it felt like one sad generic plastic phone with the potential of being a more forgiving and cheaper floordropper than some of the so called flagships foolishly made from glass parts.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
"More the merrier"
Just like in "Merry Christmas"
You saved my day! Sorry for off topic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
I'm really worried about the long delay. On one hand we could hope that Jolla is making this big effort to support arm64 out of the box in the future and on the other hand I worry that Jolla really struggles badly to survive and goes an long to way to please potentials partners (without proper signed contracts) which might blow them off once again.
I think a few months is very fast when porting a 32bit OS to a 64bit hardware.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Where do you suggest to go tell HMD Global to open the doors for Sailfish (official) ports?
Honestly, that is a much larger question, which I cannot answer. But an unlockable bootloader would help as a first step — preferably one where usage of which doesn't invalidate the warranty. Requesting this via twitter from @sarvikas (Chief Product Officer of HMD Global) and @MikkoLJaakkola (CTO of HMD Global) is one course of action.

Another would be simply not purchasing any of their devices until they implement this.

Another might be a public petition to HMD Global.

Another route would be to ask GSMArena and all gadget review websites to make it very clear whether a device includes an unlockable bootloader or not, and whether doing so invalidates the warranty. This would awaken the mainstream consumers to the the feature as being important to look for.

Really, for your main question, you would need to ask Jolla what is required.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Anticipating Sailfish X release I went to check the dual sim Sony Xperia X in a shop and it felt like one sad generic plastic phone with the potential of being a more forgiving and cheaper floordropper than some of the so called flagships foolishly made from glass parts.
I think that is partly why Jolla chose this phone first: availability, cheapness, openness, unlockability, and 'documentation'. I think there is definite demand for an officially supported Sailfish release on a high end handset. My guess is that will be another Xperia (though some people claim the camera/display are still not high-end enough on the current premium models).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
I think a few months is very fast when porting a 32bit OS to a 64bit hardware.
Well, the 64bit CPU will run 32bit code. Which is what it does for this port (mainly because of hybris not ported to 64bit)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
I choose Jolla because I can log onto irc and speak to there staff, work with them and attempt to fix a problem rather than the google approach of just throwing source code over the wall when its done. all about the community really

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
Sony has not been that fair to change the rules a few days before SFX launch. I think a number of Sony higher-ups may have entered Panic Mode Level 1 when they found out that people going to flash SailfishX are way more than a dozen nerds. While this does not rule out their Insane Fear of Dem HaxX0rz Compromising Our Boot Keys, and does not rule out other scenarios, their will to get back in control of flashing (mandating the Windows Emma tool) could suggest they're readying some unofficial support (an "approved SFOS image" that may get flashed by an "approved service center" using the only "approved (Windows) tool").

Emma prerequisites are somewhat annoying - not only you need Windows 7 or later (sadly Windows XP is not there: have you some recent Windows PC hanging around? will Emma work in a VirtualBox window? will it safely operate under Wine?), but you also need to register a login and have internet access (which could possibly be used to block "unofficial" - aka community - releases). Yet, with the exception of userfriendliness for illiterate people scared by the "Linux" word, it's not clear if Emma actually gives some benefit if compared to the straightforward Linux script used till now by Jolla guys themselves.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to alfmar For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Someone fearless could test emma in wine.
It will propably work.
At least i did flash a friends xperia s with emma version of that time using wine successfully! That was 2012 though.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Someone fearless could test emma in wine.
It will propably work.
At least i did flash a friends xperia s with emma version of that time using wine successfully! That was 2012 though.
Someone already did, see comments in the Jolla blog SFOS X entry. Search in the page for "wine", and you find that this was the result:

And if you try WINE(wine-2.0-rc6), you get:”Sorry, Windows 7 or higher is required.”
I strongly suspect that when sales of the official image starts, we will find that the official method will need Emma + Windoze for at least one step, and a 100% Linux method won't be officially supported any longer.

Who knows what last-minute action by Sony has brought all this on, but James Noori seems to be in a difficult position over this one. I'm glad that I'm not in his shoes

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pacman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Someone already did,
Did anyone try running it under VirtualBox, and the Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation Virtual Machine ?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to caa For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x