WOW

I just wanted to submit "Hello World!" to my radio, not overthrowing a government...

Really enjoyed reading your post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abuakram For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
@ sulu
Then we are agreed...

I love visiting Germany ..
But there is no way in hell I would move and leave paradise for it.

@ abu
There you go...
"Hello World" can be your Broadcast intro from the back of the moving van as you instigate the new world order from your n900...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2019-07-08 at 15:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by abuakram View Post
How far can fm signals broadcasted with n900 reach?
In my experience with a car radio, it's measured in cm. Perhaps indoors with a fixed antenna aimed at the N900, across the room.

Updates to the fm transmitter broke the RDS so it always just shows "NOKIA" which is useless IMHO. (I guess there's a radio somewhere that shows the "info" field, but I've never seen it). So every radio station I've ever seen just rotates all relevant text thru the station name field. But you can override that with a direct call to fmtx.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
That being said, there was one scenario I could have imagined for the N900 in the future:
Great idea actually.

Another usecase are Timelapse videos.
With its 5Mpx camera you can still make 2k/1920p videos by shooting images in an interval and then convert the stack of images to video frames with ffmpeg.
Done that some years ago with an obsolete N8

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
In Germany this [FM transmitter] even works in current cars, e.g. for trolling grampa's Schlager channel with some Metallica.
Lucky you. I found the FM transmitter signal to be so weak that I can only use on frequencies waaaaay away from any used channel. There is no way it could "outshout" an existing radio station.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I'd say, for a clean signal it reaches about 10m under best circumstances (empty frequency, no obstacles).
Again, lucky you. In my experience, even 3m can be considered a success under the conditions you describe.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
In my experience with a car radio, it's measured in cm.
I never had problems in terms of signal strength with my N900's FM transmitter in cars.

The only thing that has become increasingly difficult over the past 5 years is, that radio stations have been packed increasingly dense on the available spectrum. You want to be at least 1 MHz away from the next official channel to get a clear signal.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
There is no way it could "outshout" an existing radio station.
Neither can I. But at 2m distance to the receiver's antenna I can at least compete with any official station, and Helene Fischer plus Metallica still equals T(h)rash Metal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by abuakram View Post
Hi folks...

We have to admit, that despite our romance relationship with N900, still it can't compete with the newest technologies...
I I realized all by sudden after I returned to my N900 after years, that I had difficulties using the keyboard (am getting older and my eyes too), either I couldn't read what's on the screen or couldn't see the letters and symbols on keyboard.
And I definitely don't want to use the N900 just as a phone.
I am not into development, but have some ideas, which probably has been talked about here on the forum, but it's scattered here and there...

The Ideas are:

for 1 - How can we achieve this?
for 2- which keyboard and mouse manufacturers work well with N900?
for 3- How can we achieve this?

More or better ideas are welcome...
When (or small "IF") FM radio Goes down N900 still will broadcast FLAC&MP3 / Internet Radio / FM.

The percentage of high end Radio Tuners that are of high quality and also very good looking still out there will always outnumber the number of DAB+ ones.
If that format ever gets out of the car radio's.
With about 8 or 10 Nokia N900 one could reasonably simulate to unaware grand-kids the thrill and convenience of tuning in to radio stations with free music.

N900 as an Internet Radio it is unbeatable, how was it possible that Nokia integrated the internet radio right into the standard music player and even added play via FM functionality. What where they thinking?
Everybody knows that people rather try 10 to 20 different "radio apps" with visual advertisements and preferable install a different app for every single internet radio station before accidentally stumbling on the one or two apps that offer an global station index service of course still separated from the other music players because integration is what we hate: we want to install apps on our devices while exercising our freedom of choice as a mobile consumer.

I remember on very poor internet the N900 internet radio buffering went way better in terms of playing the stream uninterrupted where the dedicated internet radio could not offer the same experience.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I sometimes even take the physical antenna off of the car when renting to improve the N900's receive vs local FM broadcast.
For a while I was jacking my BH-214 into the aux so I could also skip songs (old car bluetooth did calls not other audio) but now I just use a Pebble watch to skip songs and can use Bluetooth, Aux, or most easily FM transmit. I think having a charge cable improves the link as it puts transmitter ground to car FM receiver ground.
Also the FM transmit boost app really helps, it is a script that sets Xmit to hardware max. Check the repos including testing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: