Pretty much sure, we won't hear from taeto anymore, that's typical for such kind of posts.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The N900 is a baby with super-powers. It hasn't learned to use all of them yet, but it is learning fast..
I like that! :P

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
The N900 is a baby with super-powers. It hasn't learned to use all of them yet, but it is learning fast..
*Signature worthy*

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by bald.eagle.one View Post
+1

now just waiting for update to arrive in uk
Showed up about 10 minutes ago for me, updating now (very slowly, but then its 90MB of tweaking going on).

As for the media player on N900 being nothing close to the iPod, I thought that too at first. But once you get used to it, the benefit of being able to just dump music on it and the fact its 1000 times better sound quality than my iPod touch, outweighs the inferior media player UI.

At the end of the day what do you prefer from a media player, a kick *** UI and poor sound quality, or a mediocre UI and kick *** sound quality? I know which I would choose.

That said, I still love my iPod for the games. After finally installing Solitaire Touch I am hugely disappointed, its aweful compared to Solitaire City on my iPod. I hope the lack of DRM does not discourage developers too much. Besides, I jailbroke and installed Solitaire City "for free" and THEN bought it on iTunes when I realised I was playing it a lot. So DRM is not the be all and end all. I just wish developers/publishers would realise that many of us try to obtain a game for free first so we can see if we will play it enough to warrant a purchase.

I did the same with Oblivion and Test Drive Unlimited, downloaded on PC first then bought on Xbox when I knew I liked them. Demos are not always enough of a game to see if you will play it or not, and rental is a ripoff and might as well be piracy anyway, as the publisher gets the same amount of money out of it. Okay, I will stop my "piracy is a good thing for developers" debate now before I drag the thread off-topic.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2010-01-14 at 13:31.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by taeto View Post
Mail set up good however I am amazed the unit supports Exchange 2007 and not 2003. This is really a very curious omission for a device that is going to be attractive to the corporate market. Why!!!!!
Despite the support for Exchange and the fact that 2003 support was added today with update, there's no way this device would be attractive to the corporate market in any way. Where do people come up with this stuff?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
Despite the support for Exchange and the fact that 2003 support was added today with update, there's no way this device would be attractive to the corporate market in any way. Where do people come up with this stuff?
Why not?

I used mine in a corporate setting.

Hmmm, so

==

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Why not?

I used mine in a corporate setting.
Having it be attractive to an end user to use as a corporate device without support is one thing. I would be in the same shoes as you but I would need to provide my own support for this device as I do with all my unsupported devices. However, corporate IT departments are not going to supply these to their workforce en masse.

Hi all,

Had the phone about 24 hours now so thought I would post my comments, I started comming from a bad experience with an HD2 and being a bit warey due to there not being many apps and the new os.

Wow am I impressed, Once you get used to the ui it quick and easy to use! here are some points

+ Installed the msn extra devs plugin, works great (not going to play with anything else from there however!)

+ skype , bloody awesome intergration love it. I know this is nothing new on other phones but it works great!

+ email , basic but thats fine , it lets me view, action and reply emails on the move, if I want to do real work ill get a laptop out!

+ the browser , wow full facebook in the browser, most of my custom web apps working with no dramas, love it! why do i need a twitter / facebook client when I can just go on the full site!

+ If you think this thing can not be used as a phone I would suggest you a bit odd. Great call reception, easy to use phone book , easy to answer with the touch screen. Allready I am not looking and just hitting answer or end.

+ the user interface is not that "sexy" but to be honest thats fine. I am so happy to have a Nokia built device again which feels great and does the basics very well.

Overall I am very very impressed and most of my worries have finished. The only thing I would like is a google maps application.

Personally I think within 12 months the next version of this OS is going to be very exiting!

This post is prob a bit boring to most but though a user first impressions might be usefull to some who have not yet taken the plunge.

I would summarise by stating yes there are features missing, most of which you will never use anyway. Unless you a phone nutter and are speed and voice dialling ever moment of every day, this is fine as a phone as well as a internet device.
cheers,

MB

The Following User Says Thank You to MontyBravo For This Useful Post:
I hate reading posts like this, it just makes me want the device even more.

I've promised myself that I'm not buying anymore phones until my contract runs out.

How are you finding the battery life?

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny