Wanted to know, how do I set fine grained control on what personally unique data, Android apps can access ?
For example, I would not want the Android apps to whisk out the IMEI, Device ID, Profile data etc.

The Android ecosystem, has its of set of apps to manage it... like Permission Denied and such.
How is it done in Sailfish ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GizmoSmith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
No idea, but you can install root and try it yourself: https://openrepos.net/content/coderu...lvik-superuser

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
I was dicking about with an iOS phone the other day, and wanted to start sending off pictures on my friends Tinder. I was impressed by how to do that I had to go to the settings menu, then privacy and enable the camera feature for Tinder. I believe this is the level of granularity people want on this forum.

Can't believe it was apple to do it first...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Can't believe it was apple to do it first...
Correct me if I'm wrong but Nokia did that before Apple. Not sure if it was with Symbian³ or N9, but I'm quite sure another or both of them had that behaviour.

What worries me more is that there is no way whatsoever to control what Permissions a native Sailfish app has.

As long as there are only ~200 apps in the store, it's still easy to know most of them and also you can trust most developers who develop for this tiny ecosystem, but if ever we get larger sales figures and more available apps (still dreaming), there will have to be some kind of permission management...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Casanunda For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by TemeV View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but Nokia did that before Apple. Not sure if it was with Symbian³ or N9, but I'm quite sure another or both of them had that behaviour.
You remember it wrong. Nokia never had segmented permission control in any OS, and AFAIK up to today it only exists in iOS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
tbh I dont even mean lets have this **** now, I understand Sailfish is still coming along and theres always time to add more features, but as long as this is something that will come id be happy with.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
I Like the way Xiaomi and their Miui Rom does this :
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Hi
I moved from the good old n900 to an motorola photon q (android qwerty slider) and used xprivacy as xposed framework tool for app permission management. When the tohkbdv2 got announced I moved to Jolla.

I tried to get Xprivacy to work with root on the jolla but without success. LBE didn't worked for me either.

Now i use an closed source app , but its the only solution I found which works even without the need to root the android vm.
Its srt appguard :

Downsides : closed source, costs 3,99€ , need to uninstall and modify apps before use, software needs to run in background all the time

pros : no need for root, very detailed network configuration possible (you can deny specific servers), developer is an university in germany

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elektrobier For This Useful Post: