Active Topics

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
I know you're not considering it for now, but I'd surely like to have such device with SFOS, even if it's unofficial port. Parts of libhybris-based adaptation could then be reused for another Linux-based OS. Also, there is a thread about porting Freemantle UI to GTK 3.

Could MTK chips be used to lower up the cost? Something about GPD Win price seems reasonable to me.
Actually using a community port SFOS will make development easier - the device just needs to ship with non-GMS certified Android and done.

But is the community SFOS really what we want? IMHO it's quite far from a true Linux OS, and has too many components controlled by Jolla.

On the other hand, GPD Win doesn't have any Cellular functionality, which will make a huge difference, regarding Hardware (Soc, modem, RF, Antenna) and software (certification, tuning, adaptation) so it's not really comparable. For that price if you want cellular network, the specs will be much lower.

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
What about graphics systems ? GPU support ?

If wayland based Tizen/E can be supported too.

What about Nemomobile too ?
Graphic system comes with the SoC.

Tizen is not what we want I believe.

Nemo is a good option if that is in "product" standard.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Depends almost entirely on how solid the slider mechanism is, and how nice the keyboard feels to type on.

TOHKBD is cool, but IMO it's pretty horrible to type on because you need to exert so much force to press some of the keys. And obviously the slider mechanism isn't as solid as a mechanical slider (not that they could have done anything about that, since it was a TOH).

I think the neo900 idea of re-using a lot of the quality components of the N900 was sensible for this reason. You don't want to have a device that looks good on paper but in reality has a dodgy, wobbly, flimsy feeling slider.
There is a clear difference between a professional design/prototype/testing/mounding/SMT/manufacturing/quality control team, and a one man product. (I have really no offence to Dirk, in fact given the man power he has done an amazing job)

It will be a commercial product from product lines, which means it will match certain requirement before if leaves the factory. It's won't be 3D printed and will have all the userability and functions tested. If we build a device, this needs to be professional.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I would gladly pay 400 GBP (currently 466 EUR, who know for how long) for a device exactly as per Chen's specification.
If we can manage to find 3000 Pichlo on this planet and we will have a really nice device that can last for a long time!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Actually using a community port SFOS will make development easier - the device just needs to ship with non-GMS certified Android and done.

But is the community SFOS really what we want? IMHO it's quite far from a true Linux OS, and has too many components controlled by Jolla.

On the other hand, GPD Win doesn't have any Cellular functionality, which will make a huge difference, regarding Hardware (Soc, modem, RF, Antenna) and software (certification, tuning, adaptation) so it's not really comparable. For that price if you want cellular network, the specs will be much lower.
Android without Google services feels like a sane option for further software adaptation if it's going to be libhybris-based. Nemo Mobile can be used to replace Sailfish OS proprietary components, but it's far from product quality.

And yes, I understand the difference. GPD Win is relatively high tier due to x7-Z8750 chipset, so there can be some space here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
If we can manage to find 3000 Pichlo on this planet and we will have a really nice device that can last for a long time!
So if that would ever come true you should have one more (not exactly a 'pichlo' but a customer ).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
If you ever did have a consumer base of 3000 pichlo, you would probably spend your whole budget on customer relations and not achieve very much

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
There is a clear difference between a professional design/prototype/testing/mounding/SMT/manufacturing/quality control team, and a one man product. (I have really no offence to Dirk, in fact given the man power he has done an amazing job)

It will be a commercial product from product lines, which means it will match certain requirement before if leaves the factory. It's won't be 3D printed and will have all the userability and functions tested. If we build a device, this needs to be professional.

So you need to find $1.5million (USD) to get this off the ground?

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
If you ever did have a consumer base of 3000 pichlo, you would probably spend your whole budget on customer relations and not achieve very much
Not true. Pichlo was not the one who demanded changes before the project even started

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
Android without Google services feels like a sane option for further software adaptation if it's going to be libhybris-based. Nemo Mobile can be used to replace Sailfish OS proprietary components, but it's far from product quality.

And yes, I understand the difference. GPD Win is relatively high tier due to x7-Z8750 chipset, so there can be some space here.
Android without GMS is definitely an option, to me it has following advs:

- Lower the overall cost as there will be almost no front work
- Easier warranty management and law requirement as all the basic function works by default (with Android)
- Lower maintanance cost

If there is not enough upfront funding this will be a good option.

However, the initial idea is to have a "powered by Maemo" device, as a successor to N900/Neo900 and this is against original intention...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Android without GMS is definitely an option, to me it has following advs:

- Lower the overall cost as there will be almost no front work
- Easier warranty management and law requirement as all the basic function works by default (with Android)
- Lower maintanance cost

If there is not enough upfront funding this will be a good option.

However, the initial idea is to have a "powered by Maemo" device, as a successor to N900/Neo900 and this is against original intention...
The main issue i see with a "powered by Maemo" device is that Fremantle doesn't seem to be in a particularly good state to port it to anything vaguely recent.

Then of course there is the number of people willing to kickstart an effort, is there 3000+ people willing a pre-order a device with Maemo?

Doing an Android device is certainly a compromise, but then you can get people on board who actually want a keyboard Android device, which you might be able to find reasonable numbers of.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
So you need to find $1.5million (USD) to get this off the ground?
In short, it may not be 1.5M but similar amount will be needed.

Excluding all the R&D cost, certification etc..... To buy the components, manufacturing and have extra parts/device stock for warranty purpose will cost the most of the above funds.

R&D and moulding won't be cheap. Certification won't be cheap.

I don't know what is your definition of getting off the ground. If that means concept design or deliver some high quality legal commercial product to the hand.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd, tainted love