Agreed.
seems surprising (unless there are other reasons)

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
This sounds bad.
But they don't plan to sell it to the rest until ALL Pre orders are met, which confuses me slightly.

I guess people pre ordered from America?

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I think it is just a "not promising anything" way to tell they don't have actual contracts or discussions at the moment, not that they won't try to deliver it to North America. Otherwise, if the decision was that clear and definitive (and, if something was actually decided and ready to announce in the press), then I guess JollaHQ replies to individual questions on availability to North America would be less fuzzy than they are for all other non-EU countries.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Like w00t said they don't want to promise or claim anything that they can't meet. So their steadily expanding, Jolla team went to UK last week, not long ago went to Portugal. I guess their trying to build a strong foundation around them in Europe as it's their home turf.

Once they got a solid foundation they can expand much quicker.

But really what keeps them from selling the phone over the net to U.S.and A. as well? FCC regulations?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
But really what keeps them from selling the phone over the net to U.S.and A. as well? FCC regulations?
from the FCC FAQ: "It is illegal to import, sell, or operate covered equipment that has not undergone the required equipment authorization procedure."

source: http://www.bureauveritas.com/wps/wcm...+questions/fcc

IMHO this would even exclude shipping through friends - might get confiscated at the border...

The Following User Says Thank You to dommau For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbE9AV3S8xI

"We dont have a plan for north america" 4.09min
That's it, I'm done. Good luck Jolla, I'm unfortunately not part of your plans.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Austria
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
That's it, I'm done. Good luck Jolla, I'm unfortunately not part of your plans.
I get that you are kinda disappointed, but Marc clearly says, "we don't have any plans for north america, AT THE MOMENT".

Wow that must be ******** by the FCC. I take it there is no way to do it?

FWIW, there are more FAQ's in zendesk, in particular:
Q.2 I would like to know which countries are supported for pre-orders. Please help.

Ans. Countries supported for the Limited ed. Jolla + Other Half (100€) pre-order package at the time of opening May 20, 2013 include Finland, Sweden, Denmark, United Kingdom, Germany, Spain, France, and Italy. We’re opening further European countries very soon, stay tuned!

For Limited ed. Jolla + T-Shirt (40€) and 0€ pre-order packages we support global pre-ordering, and yet availability of the Jolla device will decided based on demand from each country solely at the discretion of Jolla Ltd. For the 40€ package we’ll always ship the T-shirt to your selected global address.

We’re looking forward to receiving a sufficient amount of pre-orders in order to serve as many countries as possible. Show your interest by pre-ordering today and you will be among others ensuring availability of Jolla in your country!
Now it makes sense how some people paid from "unsupported" countries and they still got nothing - basically they have to wait or get a refund.

The last paragraph, however, suggests that if only one person ordered from Farfarawayland, then it's unlikely that they'll get the device...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, latest news, sailfish