Active Topics

Gah why bzr? Git is sooo much nicer!

(and when I moved from Tom Lords Arch to git I vowed never to go back... even if it was forked and got a different name...)

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Can someone confirm for me if the "key_pressed" command is available on a stock N900? I just realized you don't need "read -n 1 -t 1", because checking if "key_pressed 1" returns false yields the same result.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-05-18 at 17:45. Reason: "key_pressed 1", not just "key_pressed"

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I have figured out how to not only give a console at boot, but also how to make it somewhat casual-reboot friendly by making it give a 5 second countdown - if you press any key, it drops you into the shell, if not, it continues with boot as normal. Beautiful, no?
Indeed. After searching the forums for a way to implenent a framebuffer console I found Mentalist Traceur's post. I followed the instructions exactly and I'm happy to say it is working.

I have two questions though.

1. I still don't understand how to generate the correct kmap file from pali's code.

2. Scrolling console text is very sexy. When the bootmenu screen enters and exits there is a lot of graphics tearing, not so sexy. Might there be a way to fix this?

Last edited by sourcedriver; 2011-05-28 at 18:16.

Originally Posted by sourcedriver View Post
Indeed. After searching the forums for a way to implenent a framebuffer console I found Mentalist Traceur's post. I followed the instructions exactly and I'm happy to say it is working.
Yay, more people found my stuff useful.

I have two questions though.

1. I still don't understand how to generate the correct kmap file from pali's code.
You need to use the command "loadkmap" with the "-b" flag (if you look at the Makefile in pali's code, it has the syntax in it). Don't ask me where to get it the loadkmap binary for armel (or any architecture) that supports the -b flag. Busybox-power doesn't come with it, and as far as iDont (the maker and maintainer of Busybox-Power) knew about a week or so ago, busybox as a whole didn't include it. I've tried to grab some debian packages precompiled for armel that had loadkeys as a command, BUT, neither of the ones I tried had the "-b" flag as an option.

2. Scrolling console text is very sexy. When the bootmenu screen enters and exits there is a lot of graphics tearing, not so sexy. Might there be a way to fix this?
Not that I know of. I have R&D mode enabled on my N900 and the boot screen it shows right after also gets torn by framebuffer console output. *Shrug*

You need to use the command "loadkmap" with the "-b" flag (if you look at the Makefile in pali's code, it has the syntax in it). Don't ask me where to get it the loadkmap binary for armel (or any architecture) that supports the -b flag. Busybox-power doesn't come with it, and as far as iDont (the maker and maintainer of Busybox-Power) knew about a week or so ago, busybox as a whole didn't include it. I've tried to grab some debian packages precompiled for armel that had loadkeys as a command, BUT, neither of the ones I tried had the "-b" flag as an option.
I generate kmap file on desktop x86, not in phone. On ubuntu loadkmap with -b flag works fine.

Originally Posted by pali View Post
I generate kmap file on desktop x86, not in phone. On ubuntu loadkmap with -b flag works fine.
I know (well, I don't know, but I guessed) that you do, and that's fine for you. But I want to be able to do these things on-device. The less my N900 depends on other devices for its functionality, the better, in my eyes.

I have the N900 with me and on almost 24/7. Not so much for my laptop, let alone my desktop.

BUT, either way, thanks for confirming that it's there and working on the x86 Linuxes. (I'm sure it must exist somewhere on armel too, I just can't find it for the life of me.)

You can download source code of loadkeys and compile for armel if you want to run it on n900.

On ubuntu is loadkeys in deb package kbd. You can download dsc (deb source) package kbd from ubuntu and compile it in scratchbox/madde in ARMEL mode

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Can someone confirm for me if the "key_pressed" command is available on a stock N900? I just realized you don't need "read -n 1 -t 1", because checking if "key_pressed 1" returns false yields the same result.
Yes, it is closed binary program from Nokia in package initrd-tools.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
I've compiled kbd-1.15.3 from here on Scratchbox, taking out everything within share/ to save space (there didn't seem to be anything useful anyway, just a bunch of locales, fonts etc). Both loadkeys and dumpkeys work on my N900; I haven't tried any of the others as of yet, but can't see a reason why they shouldn't either.

Someone could package it up nicely, if they so wished

EDIT: Heh, I hadn't even looked at pali's posts from last night - seems like he was one step ahead of me, as usual :P
Attached Files
File Type: gz kbd-1.15.3.tar.gz (280.9 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Tigerite; 2011-05-29 at 07:58.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tigerite For This Useful Post:
Figures that just as I do it, someone else does it - had I just cheked this thread an hour ago, I could've skipped compiling myself.

As is, I've gotten myself loadkeys and dumpkeys compiled, and was just coming back on here to say it worked fine using the latest kbd Ubuntu source.

I guess if anyone else needs it, using Tigerite's package is easier (for now at least), so thank you Tigerite. (I might put this kbd package in the repos, if Tigerite doesn't in the near future. *Shrug*)

Also, thanks to Pali pointing out that "key_pressed" is a Nokia proprietary binary, I'm just gonna use "read -n 1 -t 1" instead as I did originally in my posted way of getting shell at boot, on principle (and because if I ever make a package out of my shell method, it's more independent of Nokia blobs)...

Tags
console, console-mode, framebuffer, recovery, recovery-mode