Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
How does one lose their lock code? I mean... umm... no, still don't get it. I have auto-lock set to 1hr, and use the lock code quite a few times a day so it is fresh on my memory. When talking about lost lock code, does this mean it is forgotten? I know this might be stupid question, but if the case is so, why not talk about forgetting the lock code.

And, yeah, I agree that the lock code is not securing anything, it's like the screensaver passwd. But that is enough for me. Not intending to lose the device
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by williamparrales View Post
is there any way you can put these instruction in a dummy format. for some reason the default code does not work on my n900. i sent it to nokia =( they reflashed it but the code still does not work please help out a fellow noob n900 owner thank you
I had this problem as well, that the N900 default code did not work.
Guess its due to the fact I bought it second hand.

Anyway, this is what I did and you should do in five steps!

1: First of all, we need to get into the device. Lets ssh into it!
Install the ssh's client and server. Now ssh into it with a ssh client for your OS. The user to use is: root

2: Now you should be inside your N900 device, once there we want to get the so called DES hash of the password.

Code:
echo root:$(grep -A 13 lock_code /dev/mtd1|tail -1):
Now you get a output something like this:
root:63NCRYqE75Us0:

3: Copy the output and put it in a file on your computer, named: old_maemo_lock_code

4: Make a search for John the ripper and install it.

5: Open up a terminal and write:
Code:
john -format:DES -i:digits /path/to/old_maemo_lock_code
There, now just wait 5-10 minutes
Thanks to however wrote the post with grep part above!

Last edited by danielpublic; 2010-03-05 at 10:42.

The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to danielpublic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danielpublic View Post
Code:
john -format:DES /path/to/old_maemo_lock_code
Try adding -i:digits to speed it up:

Code:
Since the code is just numbers, there's no need to go through all alphanumerics. Took 1 second to crack the code with my 1.6 GHz Atom 330.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to d0gi For This Useful Post:
I got this:
Code:
root:.sfpZ4nNm2OtM:
Can someone decrypt it for me please? I'm getting an access denied on john the ripper. Thanks.

Never mind, I got it. I uninstalled my stupid antivirus.

Install the ssh's client and server. Now ssh into it with a ssh client for your OS. The user to use is: root

2: Now you should be inside your N900 device, once there we want to get the so called DES hash of the password.

Code:

3: Copy the output and put it in a file on your computer, named: old_maemo_lock_code

Code:
Hi,
I REALLY need some help here! Try to follow your recomended steps but getting stuck at the very first one. I downloaded putty and winscp and tried to SSH but what the hell is hostname and how do I get the hostname of my N900?
any help will be appreciated.

Originally Posted by padiel View Post
Hi,
I REALLY need some help here! Try to follow your recomended steps but getting stuck at the very first one. I downloaded putty and winscp and tried to SSH but what the hell is hostname and how do I get the hostname of my N900?
any help will be appreciated.
You don't necessarily have to use those, you could just save it to a file in MyDocs first:

Code:
echo root:$(grep -A 13 lock_code /dev/mtd1|tail -1): > /home/user/MyDocs/old_lockcode
Then use the usb cable and copy the file old_lockcode from the device and invoke john the ripper on it as instructed. You could also simply copy&paste the code to pastebin.com or such with the n900 and then copy&paste it again to a file on a computer to avoid messing with the cable.

Code:

Code:
Hi All, Sorry for asking, but.....
My N900 had the USB HW failure. I got a new phone from Nokia, and after restoring the backup, I forgot the lock code. When I tried danielpublic's solution above, I had multiple problems: The SCP ssh client is loaded only on my computer. It asks for a Host name before attempting to connect. What is the host name to use?

I decided maybe I need to flash the FW, to get a SSH client on the phone first... The flasher-3.5 asks for permossion to continu when I run it from teh cmd prompt, but ten after a brief fleah of another cmd screen,does nothing.....

I then tried the Nokia SW updater (even though since the phone just came from Nokia and likely has the latest FW) but it could not even connect, even though the computer sees the phone as a USB device and even opens up the phone in explorer.

My questions:
1. Is there a way to get the lock code from the phone backup?
2. Do you need to have the ssh client on the phone to use the above method?
3. What could cause the flasher to not run the flash? I was expecting some indcation that the flash was proceeding.

Originally Posted by dave46 View Post
I got a new phone from Nokia, and after restoring the backup, I forgot the lock code.
The lock code isn't backed up/restored (but the setting to use it is, leading to confusion). On a new device the default lock code ("12345") should work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
The default lock code also did not work (tried that as soon as the lock code showed up after restoring data). Maybe the phone was a return or refurb an has another lock code?

Tags
devicelock, nokia n900