Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by qole View Post
mobiledivide, ARJWright:

You are somewhat naive, if you believe that you can control your data once you start exposing it publicly. The 'Net is swarming with crawlers and indexers and archivers, all recording anything they find.
Agreed the net is a crazy place with all the indexing etc. I just wish things like uploading pictures to a service let me retain control, even if they are indexed etc at least I could make the case that it was *my* data if it popped up anywhere else. As it stands it seems whenever you use services *they* control the data.

And as someone who has maintained a home server for well over a decade, I can say that the cloud is a lot more attractive to most people, since there are lots of companies out there who are willing to hold my data with little or no monetary cost to me. These companies have bigger, faster servers with bigger, fatter pipes than I'll ever be able to afford. They also keep backups of everything, so I don't have to remember.

Another thing to remember is that most ISPs' home services have a download speed that is (at least) an order of magnitude faster than the service's upload speed.
Also agreed I really want a South Korea style/FIOS style pipe with 20mb up down speeds at an affordable price.

Currently, the infrastructure of the 'Net is designed for cloud servers, not home servers. To fight this trend is going to be expensive (paying for static IP and big upload speeds) and/or time consuming (dealing with server crashes, storage upgrades, etc)

(Oh, also, studies have shown that home alarm systems and alarm monitoring companies are a waste of money.)

EDIT: Bergie, I think you're more on the right trail here...
Once again I agree with the current state of the internet being what it is, but currently there seems to be a big push even in mobile with HSUPA and LTE emphasizing increased upload speeds as being key. Home alarm systems are a waste of money but I don't think anyone would ever argue that backup is not!

As I said in my post it is a dream that I naively maintain, maybe its the curmudgeon in me but there is something nice about the physical presence/experience of my stuff even in a digital world. That's why I still buy CD's and vinyl for my favorite music which I play at home, watch movies at the theatre for anticipated movies but I pay Rhapsody $12 a month for my mobile music and wait for rental DVD releases or download services for movies I might want to watch.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
And as someone who has maintained a home server for well over a decade, I can say that the cloud is a lot more attractive to most people, since there are lots of companies out there who are willing to hold my data with little or no monetary cost to me.

The Big Switch
makes this argument about "utility computing" in a very compelling way.

Even with that, I think in a world where you still sometimes are offline we need local copies of data and applications. And in a world where governments, companies and criminals eavesdrop almost all communications, we need secure peer-to-peer ways to exchange our data. But that doesn't mean the cloud is to be ignored

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
That's why I still buy ... vinyl for my favorite music...
Wow, that's seriously hardcore. Do you buy new LPs or do you mainly surf yard sales?

I have a turntable, and when I find an interesting old LP in good condition at a yard sale, I'll buy it for $1. Then I play it once to digitize it, although I like looking at the yellowed, battered old sleeves while listening to my FLAC files

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Currently, the infrastructure of the 'Net is designed for cloud servers, not home servers. To fight this trend is going to be expensive (paying for static IP and big upload speeds) and/or time consuming (dealing with server crashes, storage upgrades, etc)
Well, to me it only makes sense if it's a sort of P2P. Don't think illegal file sharing, but rather a way to semi-automatically share content, a sort of self-hosted flickr/picasa/tor/etc.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Wow, that's seriously hardcore. Do you buy new LPs or do you mainly surf yard sales?

I have a turntable, and when I find an interesting old LP in good condition at a yard sale, I'll buy it for $1. Then I play it once to digitize it, although I like looking at the yellowed, battered old sleeves while listening to my FLAC files
I don't do it as much as I used to (either because I'm getting old or as I like to think music these days is getting worse and worse!!) but I used to dj in University and in those days you weren't a 'real' dj unless you used vinyl. I still record shop browse every now and again and cruise ebay, but mostly I just use my rhapsody subscription because I don't believe its worth it spending too much money on today's music and I don't like 'stealing' music.