Hey guys. just inherited a nokia 770 but the problem is no one seems to remember the unlock code . is there a way i could log in? i'll appreciate your help

Would trying to reinstall the operating system help? am so eager to experience how this gadget works

Originally Posted by ceaser View Post
Would trying to reinstall the operating system help?
It would reset the setting that requires the code to be entered, but wouldn't change the code itself.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I'm not sure if this helps for 770 (I only got into these devices with the N900), but on the N900, you can run:
Code:
cat /dev/mdt1 | grep -A13 lock_code
And this prints out the part of the CAL area that contains the lock code hash. Then you can decrypt it using John the Ripper or something in a matter of minutes. I believe on the earlier devices, the lock code might not even be hashed, simply stored in plain text, but I'm not sure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Worth a shot. Before the N900 the code was stored in plaintext, but I'm not sure exactly where on the 770 and I'm too lazy to boot it up and look around right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
I googled a bit, and it seems I was correct (See here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=20 ). The same command should show you the lock code on the N770.

In case you're not familiar with the shell, quick pointers. The above command has to be run as root. (As far as I know, "sudo gainroot" should work, but I am not sure how to elevate yourself to root on the N770, someone else who actually has one will know the exact command if you don't - or you can google for it.)

Anyway, enter these commands (copied directly from linked post, but it's basically what I would've said):
Code:
sudo gainroot
grep -A 13 lock_code /dev/mtd1 | tail -1
Explanation, if someone wants to understand that set of commands:
"/dev/mtd1" is a 'virtual' file, it really points to the part of the N770's storage that contains the 'CAL area', which on these Nokia devices is where they store some of the more critical settings. "grep" takes the input given to it (in this case /dev/mtd1), and filters out all the lines except those that match a given string (or regular expression) - in this case "lock_code". The "-A13" option tells grep to display 13 lines after the one that has the actual matched string, since for whatever reason the lock code is 13 lines below the actual bit of text saying "lock_code". The | takes the output of the preceding command, and uses it as the input of the next command. "tail" just prints the last X lines the input, where you specify X with "-X". So "tail -1" prints the last line. This is just to clean up the output, so you don't have 13+ lines of junk. (Also, on the N900, without the tail bit, you'll see that there are two "lock_code" sections. The default 12345 lock code one, and the one that's actually set on the device.

Anyway, hope this helped.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
thanks ima. Wen u have free time u cud boot urs and please help me out. Mentalist thanks too. Am not so great with computers, actually am a dummy, if u dont mind cud u give me a step by step of how to do it.

Also for those curious, the output of
Code:
cat /dev/mtd1 | grep -A13 lock_code
and
Code:
grep -A13 lock_code /dev/mtd1
is the same, it's just I have gotten into the habit of using cat on a file to print out the contents and then piping that output to grep, instead of just using grep properly on the file directly. The output is the same, the execution might be more efficient if done without the 'cat' command.

Oh, if you're not sure what I mean by "enter the commands" in the long post just above your last one - you'd have to first reinstall the operating system if you're unable to actually use the device.

Then once you've reinstalled/reflashed the operating system, you'll be able to get in to the device because it won't ask you for the lock code, but the lock code will still be set. So then you find a program called "X-Term", or perhaps "Terminal" or "X Terminal" or something like that, and open it. Then type the aforementioned commands:
Code:
sudo gainroot
grep -A13 /dev/mtd1 lock_code | tail -1
Into the command prompt that opens up.
Edit: and just to be clear the output that should get printed will be the lock code.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2012-10-08 at 20:28. Reason: clarification

thanks alot ima and mentalist. i finally managed