Posts: 17 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Tampa, FL
...after selling my n810, and I'm astonished how DIFFERENT it is. It's TINY compared to the n810, and access to the SD card is terribly inconvenient. The seller didn't reflash the OS, so there's tons of cleaning up to do. (including ALL his phone numbers) But after looking into reflashing it myself, I can see why he didn't bother. Man, what a lot of trouble!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Thinkbolt View Post
But after looking into reflashing it myself, I can see why he didn't bother. Man, what a lot of trouble!
What seems troublesome?

To restore an N810 you:
  • reset the lock code
  • format the eMMC
  • flash the firmware
To restore an N900 you:
  • reset the lock code
  • flash the firmware
  • flash the eMMC
It seems to me the process is different, but not significantly more difficult, for your new device.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

Persist, the N900 will grow on you. Always nicer to receive a 'virgin' of course.

I got an used one, it took me about 2 hours to do the whole thing (mostly it was downloading the images on my DSL connection).

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
To restore an N900 you:
  • reset the lock code
  • flash the firmware
  • flash the eMMC
It seems to me the process is different, but not significantly more difficult, for your new device.
Actually the wiki says to flash the eMMC before the firmware on the N900, and it is the better way to do it, but so long as you don't boot up the N900 between flashing the firmware and eMMC it doesn't matter, however it should still work fine if you flash the eMMC, boot up (assuming it will boot) then flash the rootfs because during the first boot after flashing the firmware Maemo optifies itself which involves moving files from the rootfs to the /opt partition on the eMMC and if you flash the eMMC after that you'll wipe important system files.

It really isn't that difficult to flash, the instructions might look daunting, but so long as you aren't running 64-bit Windows downloading the files is the worst bit.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Flashing your "new" phone for the first time is the best part.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Thinkbolt View Post
...after selling my n810, and I'm astonished how DIFFERENT it is. It's TINY compared to the n810, and access to the SD card is terribly inconvenient.
I was wondering, why didn't you get a Meego tablet in the first place? I'm sure it's bigger.

The seller didn't reflash the OS, so there's tons of cleaning up to do. (including ALL his phone numbers) But after looking into reflashing it myself, I can see why he didn't bother. Man, what a lot of trouble!
I don't know N810, but N900 is by far the easiest mobile device to be flashed. Try flash a android mobile device, you'll not complain again. ^^

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Actually the wiki says to flash the eMMC before the firmware on the N900, and it is the better way to do it...
That was an unordered list.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Welcome to the community!