Active Topics

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Just a question, as I'm getting ready a N810 to give to an IT student later today: is there an official Maemo policy or program towards repurposing well-functioning, older models?

And if not, any chance that something like this could be done in concert with educational programs that target high school aged-students and younger? OS2008 seems like a solid OS to be introduced to open source software, and there's a good bit of process and coding knowledge that could be gained.

Plus, that would enable a few folks to find homes for their devices which may be sitting stale in a drawer or on a shelf somewhere.

---
Just so that this conversation is clear: I'm not just speaking of donations, but also something where some of the companies that work with Maemo software would also participate with devices and lessons towards development.

It just seems like a great way to push Maemo a bit more out there, while keeping some good use of older devices.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's a good idea. We just need to identify a champion, really...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It's a good idea. We just need to identify a champion, really...
Do you mean a particular org or person? Or, a champion more or less from the Maemo/Mobilin/Meego side of things?

Bumping this mainly because this is something that's proving beneficial to the young lady who received the N810 that I had given her...

...if there are any of you with N800s or N810, who are willing to part with them for a reasonable price (we'd really need to negotiate, but I'm fair) or wouldn't mind an outright donation, I'd love to get those devices into the hands of some CS students and missions folks who have the need and the will to learn about the platform.

Thanks in advance, and feel free to use PM to contact.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ California
Willing to part with my N800? You can't be serious.

I know that this is an old topic, but in light of a soon-to-come move to MeeGo for the early adopters and a sense of holding onto the past for some others, how do or have any of you repurposed your tablets? I have one sitting where I am looking for the right kid to gift it to because I have seen what this can do in respect to plugging a few digital gaps. Just looking for other experiences and ideas, and who knows, maybe one of you might be a means to help bring someone else into the fold.

I'm thinking about turning my n800 from a remote for my N900 (when it's plugged into a TV) to a mini-file server (hooked up to my 2 TB external HDD).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I use my n810 as a wireless keyboard/mouse (bluemaemo) for my multimedia rig connected to the flatscreen in the living room mostly but it's also a nice quick way to rdesktop/vnc to other systems in the house. Makes a killer multi-remote control for things not infrared.

I really like the network storage appliance idea but I manhandle the thing too much.....maybe get another on the cheap

Well if your using it as a NAS then you just set it up once and leave the setup alone..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
I wish I can get one.

Tags
device programs, education, recycle