Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
What I'm convinced of is that what we have really isn't RAW. By that I mean something is goofy because when you take photos of a properly lit scene let's say a tree in the shadow, the shadow cutoff is so much more extreme on RAW. No matter how you kick up exposure, Brightrness and it is hard to recover data from the shadows.
Issue resolved by Camera-UI2:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...63#post1147463

I hope fCam does the same. :-)

I've attached new profiles. Why does it matter if I use FCam or Camera-UI2 to make the profiles? Generally no longer an issue except for the fact that I can MF with fCamera better. I think AF affects the amount of vignette but at this point the affect is minor.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CameraUI2-1.zip (1.2 KB, 91 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
fCam won't fix it, as it isn't developed further by original team. Yet, code is openly available and well documented, so everyone with some coding skill can pick it up and create much better solution (remember, despite all greatness of fCam, actual program[s] are just proofs of concept).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
fCam won't fix it, as it isn't developed further by original team. Yet, code is openly available and well documented, so everyone with some coding skill can pick it up and create much better solution (remember, despite all greatness of fCam, actual program[s] are just proofs of concept).

/Estel
Doh! Well I have zero coding skills so it won't be me. Maybe there is a kind hearted soul out there willing to give us a hand and make the change! :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Doh! Well I have zero coding skills so it won't be me. Maybe there is a kind hearted soul out there willing to give us a hand and make the change! :-)
So apparently no real fix required for the code. In fact personally I'd recommend that you don't use Cornerfix. Well, you can if you want to but fixing the black levels make a much bigger impact.

Here's Nicolai's post about how to use Exiftool

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=774

As stated earlier, if I can do this anyone can do this. Even if neither camera gets fixed properly the command can be applied to existing files and boy does it make a difference. This is EXACTLY why I love RAW!!!

Anyways I've been going back through every single one of my photos taken from the N900 and I'm in love with the N900 again. If you use RAW, you HAVE to get exiftool.

The Following User Says Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Cambridge MA
Alright. I've zipped it. Let me know if it worked.

Let me know how the profiles work out for you.
Downloaded, and will do when I get some time to tinker. Thanks!

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Cambridge MA
So apparently no real fix required for the code. In fact personally I'd recommend that you don't use Cornerfix. Well, you can if you want to but fixing the black levels make a much bigger impact.

Here's Nicolai's post about how to use Exiftool

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=774

As stated earlier, if I can do this anyone can do this. Even if neither camera gets fixed properly the command can be applied to existing files and boy does it make a difference. This is EXACTLY why I love RAW!!!

Anyways I've been going back through every single one of my photos taken from the N900 and I'm in love with the N900 again. If you use RAW, you HAVE to get exiftool.
Interesting. Now will have to try both... thanks again

Hey, but cornefix get's rid of cyan vignette created by wide-angle lens (even miniaturized one, like in our device), while exiftool can alter - as name suggest - exif, including black levels.

geohsia, why You think the tools are exclusive? It seems, that they should work in tandem nicely - using exiftools to fix black levels, and cornerfix to get rid of vignette.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Hey, but cornefix get's rid of cyan vignette created by wide-angle lens (even miniaturized one, like in our device), while exiftool can alter - as name suggest - exif, including black levels.

geohsia, why You think the tools are exclusive? It seems, that they should work in tandem nicely - using exiftools to fix black levels, and cornerfix to get rid of vignette.

/Estel
So I think at the end of the day it depends on the photo. I did a bit more work last night and I've found that some files really don't benefit from CornerFix and every file needs to have the crushed black issue resolved. I think I'm going to temper my previous statement and say that Corner fix is still useful but not every (depending on where your wb is) needs Cornerfix.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
From the research I've seen there is something about the oblique angle of light against the sensor that causes the color cast in the RAW files.

I've used a program called CornerFix to address the issue:
I have used CornerFix and indeed it does the job. However, I found it frustrating as I wanted to extract the correction parameters and there was no way to do this. So I explored alternatives and stumbled across one that is integrated in the workflow of developing .dng images.

The most recent version of Rawtherapee has a Flat-field correction option that gets applied at the start of the chain and works just as well as CornerFix. Same principle.

The tricky issue with n900 raws is that they manifest two distinct types of vignetting: the most common dark periphery kind, as well as colour-casting. Corrections for the first kind can be fudged in gimp etc with radial filters but the second is far trickier...

This is a link to another piece of free (mostly OSS but there appears to be 1 binary(?)) software to deal with the issue. Good explanations. Software needs compiling and principally is for Gnu/Linux.

Last edited by handaxe; 2014-04-23 at 00:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Nice findings, handaxe! It would be really nice to have something that can work on N900 itself, BTW.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-