Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
as ovi maps is down and nither there would be any maps update nor any chances of possible fixes so its high time to have a nice simple default maps client similar to what we have sipping with cssu possibly or available in the repos

Maps are nowadays an essential part of a handheld and of course we have a couple of them available like modrana marble etc and are fine to some extent but i was suggesting for a new here maps client as the ovi client can be considerd dead so definately a working maps client should be available as an update via cssu possibly

i thought of brainstroming it as it seemed quite possible to use here.com
i tried microb but it repetedly asks to visit here.com while i am still there or it hangs or just keeps loading
i tried opera and it also has the issue of constantly loading and improper rendering etc
i tried a couple of more browsers nothing worked reliably but to my amazement it just ran awsome on the ancient maccuo browser

so what is the problem?
well despite it ran well on maccuo it was not fun using it as maccuo has no support for geolocation aslo it cannot save maps as there is no support for offline cacheing furthermore its not initutive to launch a browser then fiddle with it it should be one click

why it seems doable
technically it just needs a capable web browser it even works in androind 2,3 and as it already works in its half glory so should be fesiable to put togther a standalone app with some effort if actually implementing the missing features were easy . i dont have an idea if the missing features can be implemented or not

whats the uproar all about on a hear maps client?
well it can run offline
can download maps of entire regions easily
good looking maps enough to get around A to B and more
sync pois
search for places
simple and nice ui
actually it behaves similar to the ovi client we have abiet much better it even got a better look
Attached Images

Last edited by nokiabot; 2014-08-22 at 20:04.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Why not use modrana? It supports offline maps and also it supports many map providers like google map's, yahoo maps etc. And also HERE maps are only available via browser except for Windows Phone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
Why not use modrana? It supports offline maps and also it supports many map providers like google map's, yahoo maps etc. And also HERE maps are only available via browser except for Windows Phone.
i am using modrana infact i just used it today to get around
yep i am talking about a webapp like firefox os just try it on a iphone browser or android or the firefox client it got features just like the ovi maps on n900 so it might be a good idea to have it in place of dead ovi maps coexisting or just a seperate app shipped with cssu as a map client

infact jolla firefox os possibly upuntu phone are shipping more or less the same thing

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ New Delhi, DELHI, INDIA
+1 for this post.
It seems quite possible. Someone with skills, please make this happen. It would be great to have here on N900.

Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
iirc, ovi maps in NOT down, just 'tricky' to get to.
someone needs to figure out a way to coerce N900 Maps application to connect to http://static.maploader.maps.svc.ovi.com/map5/ instead of the gate.something it connects to.

Nokia/Ovi Suite can be used to get correct maps onto N900 (but of course, most of us are Linux users)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
iirc, ovi maps in NOT down, just 'tricky' to get to.
someone needs to figure out a way to coerce N900 Maps application to connect to http://static.maploader.maps.svc.ovi.com/map5/ instead of the gate.something it connects to.

Nokia/Ovi Suite can be used to get correct maps onto N900 (but of course, most of us are Linux users)
yes my cutiepie but they wont be updated forever and likley to be axed like nokia store

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Bavaria Germany
Interesting because "Qt Platforms" named:

Developer showcase

Sina Weibo
Mobile Applications

China's popular microblog service Sina Weibo, uses HERE Platform APIs to integrate advanced location and map based use cases to its applications across Windows Phone, S40, Symbian and Qt Platforms. HERE APIs allow Sina Weibo to present very detailed and precise geo-tags and location sharing experience to its users around the globe.

The Following User Says Thank You to DeadHorseRiding For This Useful Post:
well just today, I felt the need to download maps for my region and connected to PC and noticed that BAM! the application doesn't work anymore. Now I am stuck. Is there any other way I could upgrade or get the offline files for my Maps app? And/or make it better?

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 105 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by princefakhan View Post
well just today, I felt the need to download maps for my region and connected to PC and noticed that BAM! the application doesn't work anymore. Now I am stuck. Is there any other way I could upgrade or get the offline files for my Maps app? And/or make it better?
i think you can download in-app (if you talk about Ovi/Nokia Maps). on my N9 i can select what i want to download and the application will download the latest available version. old but works.

btw a newer map would be good on N9 too. Marble is not as good as i thought.

not on N900. I suppose the engine as well as the front-end both haven't been updated on the deivce since it was dumped by Nokia (or now Microsoft). I can't quite get the hang of the alternatives out there. modRana seems like too advance-y or something to me.