Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Nairobi Kenya
Hi'

I feel bad I've messed up my N900, it all started when I tried to install Nitdroid into the internal memory. I was following up from a youtube clip that was showing the steps to follow. I messed up at the point where I was supposed to create a partition using GParted.

After disconnecting my phone, it could not boot, it kept starting (with the vibration) displays the Nokia white screen and then screen fades and over and over again does the same thing.

I have tried connecting it to the same computer and checking from the GParted software but can't see it. Tried mounting it from Terminal but oops, not a trace. Tried using Flasher-3.5 to flash the firmware but cant detect the usb device.

I know this sounds really messed up, but please help me put it back. I won't try this again I promise. I'll stick to maemo. It will be good if i get to my data still intact if possible. I have tried the forum that have been posted relating to this and haven't found a solution from them since this looks different in that I can't get to start the device on itself

Please, kindly assist.

Freddie

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Try to pull the battery to stop the reboot loop.
Wait a couple of seconds, then reinsert the battery and charge it for some time.

Nevertheless it might be necessary to flash the kernel only to it.
This wiki article explains the procedure http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t...rt_topic.21.29

Depending on the status of the partitioning, you, may be, will have to start gparted again to correct some things.
Feel free to ask here.

Last edited by michaaa62; 2013-03-21 at 17:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
hi, I have tried removin the battery for some time and connecting to a charger but the loop continues.
I have also tried flashing the kernel only and the firmware separately but the computer can't detect the device.

Please assist.

Please make sure your battery is fully charged, there are cases reported where an empty battery triggers this reboot loop. A corrupted kernel also does.
Try to get it charged in an external charger, may be at a local Nokia Shop or at a friends phone. Some phones have the same battery like the N97, the X1 and some others.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
I have tried with my other battery which is fully charged, when i put it in, then power the phone on, it immediately vibrates and brings the white screen with blue words Nokia. It goes black and after kinda five seconds, it restarts again for another time. It loops twice then stops.

Maybe i cleared the partition that had my OS? Is it possible Michaa. And btw, at some point before it really went bad, it had shown something like 'memory corrupted'.
Also, i remember the point i lost it on the youtube tutorial was that part of changin the format to things like ext2,ext3, fat....is it possible that this could be the reason.

Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
Maybe i cleared the partition that had my OS?.
Don't ask us just use rescueOS and check second partition.

You cannot access the compressed root system from gparted, so i doubt that the system itself is corrupted. But you could corrupt the loaded kernel during a crash. The whole information on putting nitdroid on the N900 is very fragmented all over the net... Which how-to did you try to follow? Did you start gparted from an installed system or from Live-Media like CD, DVD or USB-stick?

Did you try to flash with both your batteries?
Which OS do you use on the PC you are trying to flash from?

Edit:You could have done damage to the second partition,but that would not stop the phone from booting, as far as i know. You just would miss lots of additional applications and your custom settings.

Last edited by michaaa62; 2013-03-22 at 09:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elros34 View Post
Don't ask us just use rescueOS and check second partition.
Thanks Elros, but i had not installed nitdroid yet, it was stil on maemo os.

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
You cannot access the compressed root system from gparted, so i doubt that the system itself is corrupted. But you could corrupt the loaded kernel during a crash. The whole information on putting nitdroid on the N900 is very fragmented all over the net... Which how-to did you try to follow? Did you start gparted from an installed system or from Live-Media like CD, DVD or USB-stick?

Did you try to flash with both your batteries?
Which OS do you use on the PC you are trying to flash from?

Edit:You could have done damage to the second partition,but that would not stop the phone from booting, as far as i know. You just would miss lots of additional applications and your custom settings.
↲↲↲thanks Michaa,↲↲Its good that the compressed root system can't be accessd, was gettin worried I might have erased the root data.↲the link to the tutorial i was followin is www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q1biPWvKOE and I was running GParted from a Linux PC.↲I have just tried the two batteries one at a time and though fully charged, still couldn't boot or be visible in the PC.↲↲Am currently lookin for another cable and pc, just to try, but in the meantime, any further advice?↲↲am grateful for all your efforts to assist. Thank you,

Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
↲↲↲thanks Michaa,↲↲Its good that the compressed root system can't be accessd, was gettin worried I might have erased the root data.↲the link to the tutorial i was followin is www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q1biPWvKOE and I was running GParted from a Linux PC.↲I have just tried the two batteries one at a time and though fully charged, still couldn't boot or be visible in the PC.↲↲Am currently lookin for another cable and pc, just to try, but in the meantime, any further advice?↲↲am grateful for all your efforts to assist. Thank you,

Changed the computer, still didn't boot.
I then tried, removing the battery, on terminal I run the firmware flash code and when it showed, "Suitable USB device not found, waiting.", I pressed 'u' (still with my battery off) and then put in my battery and the phone was detected and flashed well and restarted well. but....
When I go to my file manager, and check memory usage, I see, "Device - (memory card corrupted)" and below it, "Memory for installable applications is 78.5 MB available with the progress bar on usage at approx 80%).
When I connect to the PC and select Mass Storage, I get the error, "Unable to connect via USB. Device storage in use". This then means, I can't access it via GParted to try and repartition. Please assist.

Tags
partitioning