Notices

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Hampshire,UK
hi
having problem loading uk map - press install , looks like its going to work .but it either sits there saying 0/204 mb or flicks back to the selection screen.
is there a manual method?
thanks

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
I'll look into the voice navigation problems. Reading that so many people are having issues I wonder whether there's some regression in Marble.

@rob42: I just tested the UK map, downloads fine here on the N900. For a manual installation, download united_kingdom_motorcar.tar.gz and extract it in /home/user/MyDocs/.local/share/marble/maps/
You can also download and extract it on a different system than the N900, mount it via USB and copy the extracted files over.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Hampshire,UK
cheers earthwings

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Originally Posted by Soppa View Post
Hmm, I can't get the voice guidance working properly.

I'm using the openstreetmaps and openrouteservice for the navigation, I've extracted the voice files and am able to select them from the menu dialog. However nothing is spoken, I just get the directions on the screen. The voice files are in English, the directions are in Finnish on the screen. I tried to select device language as US English, but that doesn't seem to make any difference, the routing instructions still appear in Finnish and no voice is played. Any ideas what to check?

edit: fixed now, apparently my ogg support was broken
Hi Soppa,

do you remember what you did to fix the ogg issue? Any additional packages to install (or remove)? Which of the extras repositories do you have enabled?

@all: There seems to be a problem with playing mono .ogg files on the N900 now. It's a bit strange because that used to work fine some months/weeks ago. Converting mono .ogg files to stereo ones makes them work in Marble, however. I'll try to find the source of the problem. If I don't find it, I'll make the web converter do a conversion to stereo to work around the problem.

There's an easy way to test if you're affected: Choose "Play a sound" in Marble's routing config dialog. If that works (plays a sound to announce a turn point), but a converted speaker file does not work, you're likely hit by that problem. If playing the sound does not work either, you may be missing the ogg-support package.

Update: Screw the mono vs. stereo theory. Some .ogg files play here, some do not, but I don't see where things go wrong yet.

Update 2: I got it running again. Unfortunately I'm not sure what exactly fixed it. Here's a couple of things to try:
  • Try to play one of the .ogg files from the voice in the media player. Not working?
  • Make sure ogg-support and decoders-support are installed. Still not working?
  • Downgrade ogg-support from the extras-devel version (1.0.7-rc1) to the testing version (1.0.5). Still not working?
  • Move /home/user/.gstreamer-0.10 away. Still not working?
  • Reinstall all gstreamer0.10 packages

Last edited by earthwings; 2011-05-29 at 10:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
I have been running my N900 with extras-testing enabled, I have installed extra -decoders-support and have had no problems with playing voices in Marble. I'm using the TomTom estonian female voice.
Today I made a new test with Marble 1.2 Beta 1 & Monav 0.3. Reinstalled the map (Estonia) and tried it IRL.
Now the guidance was correct, but it only said "turn left(right) after 800 meters" no more. Somewhat it "liked" that 800 meters It also seems, that the route recalculation is available, as I intentionally passed the right place and after some messy commands it at last again correctly said "turn right after 800 meters)...

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
Hi Soppa,

do you remember what you did to fix the ogg issue? Any additional packages to install (or remove)? Which of the extras repositories do you have enabled?
I downgraded the ogg support to the extras version, like you. However, I still just get the first voice announcement when starting the navigation, turns and other directions are still silent. I'm using the yoda sounds, however I don't think that's really relevant, the problem seems to be elsewhere. Even without the voice navigation this app is great, kudos to the developers.

Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
Hi Soppa,

@all: There seems to be a problem with playing mono .ogg files on the N900 now. It's a bit strange because that used to work fine some months/weeks ago. Converting mono .ogg files to stereo ones makes them work in Marble, however. I'll try to find the source of the problem. If I don't find it, I'll make the web converter do a conversion to stereo to work around the problem.

There's an easy way to test if you're affected: Choose "Play a sound" in Marble's routing config dialog. If that works (plays a sound to announce a turn point), but a converted speaker file does not work, you're likely hit by that problem. If playing the sound does not work either, you may be missing the ogg-support package.

Update: Screw the mono vs. stereo theory. Some .ogg files play here, some do not, but I don't see where things go wrong yet.

Update 2: I got it running again. Unfortunately I'm not sure what exactly fixed it. Here's a couple of things to try:
  • Try to play one of the .ogg files from the voice in the media player. Not working?
  • Make sure ogg-support and decoders-support are installed. Still not working?
  • Downgrade ogg-support from the extras-devel version (1.0.7-rc1) to the testing version (1.0.5). Still not working?
  • Move /home/user/.gstreamer-0.10 away. Still not working?
  • Reinstall all gstreamer0.10 packages
I got the voice working finally. install extra-decoders-support and then downgrade ogg-support to v1.0.5

apt-get install --reinstall ogg-support=1.0.5

now i went logically. First made sure converted speaker ogg files were properly played on my laptop then i transferred them to device. Made sure to check them first with media player, once the files were being played properly. I put that speaker in marble and well so far so good. I only got it working like an hr ago, so i'll get back to you with some test runs tomorrow

Speaker i am using is English-Vicki(GB). Hope it keeps on working ~

Testing:Worked better than i thought it would. Still work is needed. But i enjoyed the ride alot after hooking n900 to car speakers. Now all i need is a car dashmount

Last edited by niqbal; 2011-05-30 at 14:23.

i download region (map tiles) for use in offline mode. Where is this download file kept? + does it get deleted automatically?

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Hi all,

Still trying to get marble working as my everyday sat nav.
I can (I think) get the voice working but it seems to repeat the same instruction and breaks up.
Does anybody have a GB voice that they have converted and works that they could post up so I can download it and try again?

Also, I wondered if I was missing something as I haven't seen the following facilities (maybe they don't exist - yet!)

Direction of travel upwards when navigating (rather than north up all the time)

Auto zoom in when close to an instruction or junction

Auto recalculate route

When I zoom in, the track track is often well off the road, can marble have some sort of 'align to road' option

And finally, will there become a way of downloading the maps for offline use? I know I can download a map for offline routing and can download maps section by section, but I would ideally like to download 'Ireland' for both offline routing and offline map viewing/navigation.

I know there are a lot of asks here, having tried (I think) every sat nav out there on N900, Marble is the closest to being ideal. with these additions, it would replace sygic, ovi maps and any other on the N900 and be just as good in daily use as tomtom or google maps etc.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Originally Posted by mmarks View Post
Hi all,

Still trying to get marble working as my everyday sat nav.
I can (I think) get the voice working but it seems to repeat the same instruction and breaks up.
Does anybody have a GB voice that they have converted and works that they could post up so I can download it and try again?

Also, I wondered if I was missing something as I haven't seen the following facilities (maybe they don't exist - yet!)

Direction of travel upwards when navigating (rather than north up all the time)

Auto zoom in when close to an instruction or junction

Auto recalculate route

When I zoom in, the track track is often well off the road, can marble have some sort of 'align to road' option

And finally, will there become a way of downloading the maps for offline use? I know I can download a map for offline routing and can download maps section by section, but I would ideally like to download 'Ireland' for both offline routing and offline map viewing/navigation.

I know there are a lot of asks here, having tried (I think) every sat nav out there on N900, Marble is the closest to being ideal. with these additions, it would replace sygic, ovi maps and any other on the N900 and be just as good in daily use as tomtom or google maps etc.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
it does recalculate routes. Auto zoom-in doesnt work as it should. It barely zooms throughout guidance. Direction north up all the time?? dont understand this point, can u elaborate

Voice Files for Speaker - Vicki
Since this speaker is working for me, i am uploading its files. Unzip and copy the folder to .local/share/marble/audio/speakers/ ; select the speaker from Configure Menu in marble.

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/fil...--GB--zip.html

hope it helps

Last edited by niqbal; 2011-06-01 at 14:43.

Tags
marble, nokia n900