Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Sweden
Well i got greedy and tried out 592x240, didn't work well at all
Guess I'll just stick with 400x160.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Can anybody confirm jamming (sometimes showing old frames so that video seems to play backwards for a moment resulting in very jerky playback) and lockups (cycling between two sequential frames infinitely) on high resolution widescreen movies with '-vo xv' video output (or "vo = xv" in /home/user/.mplayer/config)?
I tried two of such movies and both failed to play properly:
1. 512x288 23.976 fps 838.2 kbps
2. 640x360 23.976 fps 839.9 kbps
Both of them played just file with the previous firmware and '-vo nokia770' video output. Can you see anything like this or I'm the one unlucky here?

I would be glad to switch to xv, but this problem will have to be fixed. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of having mplayer installed on the device - to watch normal nonconverted divx/xvid movies.

Now I'm waiting for the kernel and xserver sources of the new firmware to become available in order to see what can be done.

512x288 23.975 fps peaks at above 1000kbps, did set it to 838 CBR, wtf?
Anyways in som parts the playback is jerky and eventually there's a lockup.
There was also some tearing in the lower part of the screen.

Same clip @ 640x360, same problem and it seems like the tearing appears when the amount of motion in the clip, reaches above a certain point.

Hope this will help, I have to admit that I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to video encoding/recoding.

UPDATE: With -vo sdl there's no stuttering or tearing, but it's slooooooow

Last edited by mutex; 2007-03-24 at 11:40.

I copied my non converted movie files to the device.
I used the -vo xv parameter.
Movie 1): 624x352 XVID - approx. 1000kbs - 25fps
It is very choppy and laging, but there is absolutely no tearing.
In normal scenes I would guess about 8fps, it goes down to about every 2 seconds one frame in heavy action scenes, but again no tearing, even no out of sync. I tried to see some "backwards moving" frames, it just lags. But not constant, even in scenes where there is about the same movement in a long enough time period, it stops for about 0.5 -1 second, then plays some frames with much higher rates, then stops again 0.5-1 second and again frames with higher rates for approx. 1 second. But there are no loops or backward moving, as far as I could see it. In lower actions scenes, the laging is rather constant.

Movie 2): XVID 576x320 - 1100 kbps - 25fps
Hard to say, cause I got one frame every 5 seconds. The movies starts with approx. 8 fps for about 3 seconds and then goes down to one frame every 5 seconds.

I have Movie 1) in a recoded format: 400x240 - 512kbps - 25fps - 96kbit audio.
It works great, nearly 100% smooth and flawless. The same movie had a little trouble one day ago on the older firmware. In a little more complicated scenes it just laged nearly periodically. There are scenes where the "Odyssey" from SGC (Stargate ) flys from one corner to the other. On the older firmware it was literaly a jumping. Now it's very smooth.

Funny thing: Movies that are out of sync on mplayer are synced in media player. Movies that are out of sync in media player are synced in mplayer. The other ones are synced both in mplayer and media player

Another update of MPlayer which works with the second version of N800 firmware is available (mplayer_1.0rc1-maemo.12.800). It uses Xv for video output, some tweaks were required to fix stability issues, but now it seems to run ok.

Can anybody do me a fovour and test the latest version of MPlayer on the first N800 firmware as I don't have it anymore? I wonder if the latest Xv fixes help there as well (long moderate resolution videos should play without jamming). If we get a confirmation that it works even there, this latest build can be promoted to stable and uploaded to extras repository. So we might have reached a new milestone already.

Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Can anybody do me a fovour and test the latest version of MPlayer on the first N800 firmware as I don't have it anymore? I wonder if the latest Xv fixes help there as well (long moderate resolution videos should play without jamming). If we get a confirmation that it works even there, this latest build can be promoted to stable and uploaded to extras repository. So we might have reached a new milestone already.
I just tested it using a file: Video Codec DX50, Video Bitrate 683kbps, Resolution 400x224, Audio Codec dspmp3, Audio Bitrate 128kbps, Audio Samples 44.1kHz 2CH, two hour movie transcoded using Handbrake from a DVD @24fps.

Good news: Perfect playback even with high action scenes, no tearing, absolutely smooth (same for the built-in media player, btw).

Not so good news: Any seeking jams/hangs/crashes MPlayer.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

EDIT: I can't read! Anyway, my feedback still might be useful, I hope!

Last edited by beano; 2007-03-25 at 19:40.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Great work Serge! I watched a half-hour show, xvid at 700kbps 400x304 and it was wonderful. No stutters, hangs, or blips in the sound despite a lot of motion and pans.

Larry

Has anyone else tried the Nokia_N800.avi (came with updated OS) with mplayer?
When I play the clip I get tearing across the lower part of the screen, but not with the native media player.
Serge: thanks for all the work you have done, you are doing a great job!!

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
I am unable to use Mplayer with the latest firmware.