Originally Posted by tama View Post
The photos look very tiny and is very difficult even to recognize faces when seen from a distance more than 10 feet. I wanted to use it as a photo frame in my living room, but display is tiny. So I am giving up and probably sell my n770.
Are you surprised about not being able to see detail at a distance? Quick suggestion: create a steampunk type assembly with a Fresnel lens. Won't be viewable at angles but certainly eye catching!

I am thinking about turning my 770 into a multi-function alarm clock that communicates with or is controlled by another computer (left on most of the time). Haven't decided exactly how yet but the front-end with either be Python (using Easy), browser-based or Squeak. Here's some ideas:

- Usual alarm facilities like snooze
- Calendar driven to avoid weekends/ holidays
- Picture-of-the-day semi-auto selection, eg, upcoming birthday
- Something similar with music selection
- Gradually increase brightness on/before alarm
- Weather/ news/ traffic updates (so you know just how much longer you can delay the inevitable)
- To-Do reminders for the day

Can the 770 do usb-host mode? I have compiled "Linux k8055 library" and but don't I have a suitable adapter yet. Could be used to turn on main light/ coffee maker etc.

Certainly more life in the old(-ish) 770 yet!

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I intend to use my n770 as a controller for my multimedia player aka mp3 jukebox. The wvga display means it'll make browsing my music collection quite easy. The cost of the 770 and its features makes it far superior to any off the shelf remote control I could buy for only £65 or US$110.
If it happens to act as a picture frame when in "standby" it's a bonus!

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by muki View Post
I am thinking about turning my 770 into a multi-function alarm clock
take a look at the chumby-on-tablet projects... er... grumby I think they called it.

The Following User Says Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post: